Regrinding Material - Verify whether a product contains any regrinding material

vivkrish

Involved In Discussions
Hello All,

I have some clarification. We are purchasing plastic parts from suppliers.

I need to verify whether the product contains any regrinding material or not. If yes how much they mixed with virgin material (Mixing ratio).

How can I qualify my products as above condition.

At what test can we conclude.

Thanks,
Vivkrish.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
If it is molded components , its a bit tough to determine how much regrind they use.
It always boils down to your supplier honesty and integrity.
One way is to test mechanical properties of the molded plastic but you need a very sophisticated equipment to be able to determine if they use regrind on the molded parts.

locutus

Involved In Discussions
It always boils down to your supplier honesty and integrity.
+1 basically they have to certify that it is virgin material. As mentioned you can find out if mixed by doing chemical analysis like NMR, but costly and will probably have to test much material to determine. Does you own specification require virgin materials or mix is allowed? Working in the medical device industry, usually only virgin material is allowed, but other industries I know will allow mix with a ratio sometimes not specified. The issue arises that once plastic is heated up, then ground down, and heated up again, it loses some of its properties. I am not a materials expert, but had a really, really smart materials guy spend 4 hours telling me about plastics ... then at the end, said, "do you want to go get a whiskey? i need one after that." lol.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
OK, time to clarify some things.

The presence of any significant percentage of regrind can be detected quite simply because every moulding cycle will manifest in some degradation (polymer chain scision), which in turn will manifest in lower MFI (Melt Flow Index).

To check a sample’s MFI you don’t need large samples, the method is not complicated, the equipment is not that sophisticated, not that expensive and not that rare. If it’s a recurring situation you can simply buy a basic MFI analyser; otherwise contact a lab that provides this (basic) service. This will tell you with reasonable confidence whether the article was made from pure virgin material or includes a significant percentage of regrind (please remember that some degradation should be expected in any but an ideal moulding process, so the MFI of a moulded sample will almost never be exactly the same as that of a 100% virgin raw material).

What’s complicated is determining the exact percentage of regrind. That would need calibrating first, ie moulding samples at different known regrind percentages and finding out their respective MFIs. Of course, in order to be a valid test method a whole host of issues would need to be accounted for (as per usual when developing a test method) and some statistical rigor would be required. Another complication is material having gone through more than one regrind cycle (a natural result in a process that uses in-line regrinding).

Basic MFI is a crude tool; it’s not that accurate and the resolution is limited. I’d normally recommend it only for saying whether regrind has been used or not. It’s good because it’s simple, quick and not too expensive. However, there are additional, more sophisticated methods such as DSC and DMA, that can tell you much more about the polymer’s molecular weight (which will tell you about degradation), and are more accurate. Those methods do require more expensive equipment and some expertise in running the tests and interpreting the results; however, they are normally available from any large lab dealing with polymer testing. I didn’t check with UL (no affiliation here) but I guess they offer such testing.

Last edited:

vivkrish

Involved In Discussions
Best bet is to ask them. You would need a pretty sophisticated lab and testing to determine. Not sure.
What are the testing equipments we need to know the regrinding material presence and the percentage of the regrinding material.

Thanks,
Vivkrish.

vivkrish

Involved In Discussions
OK, time to clarify some things.

The presence of any significant percentage of regrind can be detected quite simply because every moulding cycle will manifest in some degradation (polymer chain scision), which in turn will manifest in lower MFI (Melt Flow Index).

To check a sample’s MFI you don’t need large samples, the method is not complicated, the equipment is not that sophisticated, not that expensive and not that rare. If it’s a recurring situation you can simply buy a basic MFI analyser; otherwise contact a lab that provides this (basic) service. This will tell you with reasonable confidence whether the article was made from pure virgin material or includes a significant percentage of regrind (please remember that some degradation should be expected in any but an ideal moulding process, so the MFI of a moulded sample will almost never be exactly the same as that of a 100% virgin raw material).

What’s complicated is determining the exact percentage of regrind. That would need calibrating first, ie moulding samples at different known regrind percentages and finding out their respective MFIs. Of course, in order to be a valid test method a whole host of issues would need to be accounted for (as per usual when developing a test method) and some statistical rigor would be required. Another complication is material having gone through more than one regrind cycle (a natural result in a process that uses in-line regrinding).

Basic MFI is a crude tool; it’s not that accurate and the resolution is limited. I’d normally recommend it only for saying whether regrind has been used or not. It’s good because it’s simple, quick and not too expensive. However, there are additional, more sophisticated methods such as DSC and DMA, that can tell you much more about the polymer’s molecular weight (which will tell you about degradation), and are more accurate. Those methods do require more expensive equipment and some expertise in running the tests and interpreting the results; however, they are normally available from any large lab dealing with polymer testing. I didn’t check with UL (no affiliation here) but I guess they offer such testing.
Hello,

We Have DSC and MFI instrument in our factory. We do the test with both method, but we can't able to identify. If I purposely prepare and test the regrinding material also, we get the tolerable results in DSC. MFI concern I found some deviations in results.

Thanks,
Vivkrish.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
What are the testing equipments we need to know the regrinding material presence and the percentage of the regrinding material.

Thanks,
Vivkrish.
No clue. Like someone said every reuse degrades the material. You would need someone who could pick up that degradation.

vivkrish

Involved In Discussions
+1 basically they have to certify that it is virgin material. As mentioned you can find out if mixed by doing chemical analysis like NMR, but costly and will probably have to test much material to determine. Does you own specification require virgin materials or mix is allowed? Working in the medical device industry, usually only virgin material is allowed, but other industries I know will allow mix with a ratio sometimes not specified. The issue arises that once plastic is heated up, then ground down, and heated up again, it loses some of its properties. I am not a materials expert, but had a really, really smart materials guy spend 4 hours telling me about plastics ... then at the end, said, "do you want to go get a whiskey? i need one after that." lol.
Hello Locutus,

I have gone through NMR technique and as well as visited a research body who is doing NMR test. They also not much confident that by NMR we can find regrinding material presence in our product.

Please explain how can we identify the regrinding material presence in our product by NMR?

I am waiting for your valuable support.

Thanks,
Vivkrish.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Regrinding Material - Thermal properties Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
Q Change the shape of the raw material FAI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Expired packaging material - Expired unused Tyvek pouches Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Skooma Deburring and Tolerances - Is there a Standard for deburring or removing material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Can PFMEA be used in disposition of NC material? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 e "Control packaging material ..................reused" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
DMLqms Material for laboratory use or Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Material from outside CER evaluation period CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
6 Management of SDS and Hazardous Material Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L ASQ CBA biomedical auditor - CBA primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Manix Supplied Steel Material Testing Norms and Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
K Interpretation of significant change - material change Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Conformal Coating & AS9102 - Is conformal coating material a COTS part AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Maximum Height for the stored material or stock materials Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
K ISO 9001 Requirements for Raw Material Supplier Assessment and Approval ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N PPAP material certificate date IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Steps when changing material for class 1 medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Rameshwar25 What is a Control Plan at "Material Level"? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M ASTM A6 Material Standard - Section Nominal Sizes Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Does anybody have quiz's available? ISO 13485:2016 Training Material Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
D Raw Material chemical/Tensile Requirements Specifications (QQ-A-250/4, etc) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Are Medical device Raw material suppliers required to be ISO 13485 certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S MRB (Material Review Board) Investigations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5