Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Regular meetings with Notified Body

Nono

Registered
Good morning.
Just a small question...

In order to build good relationship with Notified Body, our management suggest having regular meeting with NB every month or every quarter. I know what they mean but I'm kind of dubious about the suggestion.
Have you been doing anything to build a good relationship with NB?

Watchcat

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm mostly dubious that your NB is likely to have time for regular meetings any time soon, but otherwise, I think it's a good idea. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that NBs can no longer consult. This might dampen things a bit.

I think a better idea might be to tell your NB that your company wants to work with it to build a productive relationship, and ask them how they recommend you go about it. If you initially get stunned silence, don't take it as an indicator that they aren't interested, but that they currently have enough of a challenge on their hands, trying to figure out how to have any relationship with their clients at all. We all hope that things will eventually settle down, and I think it's still worth expressing an interest now.

PS I've found that some companies, probably especially those in the US, are prone to confuse the NBs with the FDA, and are afraid to talk to them. (I don't think you should be afraid to talk to FDA, either, but I would proceed with caution.) Your NB is not an enforcement agency. Moreover, your company pays it good money, and NBs are not cheap. You should try to get the most value out of yours that you can.

Nono

Registered
I'm mostly dubious that your NB is likely to have time for regular meetings any time soon, but otherwise, I think it's a good idea. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that NBs can no longer consult. This might dampen things a bit.

I think a better idea might be to tell your NB that your company wants to work with it to build a productive relationship, and ask them how they recommend you go about it. If you initially get stunned silence, don't take it as an indicator that they aren't interested, but that they currently have enough of a challenge on their hands, trying to figure out how to have any relationship with their clients at all. We all hope that things will eventually settle down, and I think it's still worth expressing an interest now.

PS I've found that some companies, probably especially those in the US, are prone to confuse the NBs with the FDA, and are afraid to talk to them. (I don't think you should be afraid to talk to FDA, either, but I would proceed with caution.) Your NB is not an enforcement agency. Moreover, your company pays it good money, and NBs are not cheap. You should try to get the most value out of yours that you can.
I sincerely appreciate your prompt response. :)
Yes, as you mentioned, our NB clearly stated that they are not allowed to provide consultancy.
However, the problem is that we become eager to consult when we meet together face-to-face....

Your best approach is to cultivate informal relationship with the NB inspector; it will go a long way.
If you need professional advice find yourself a good consultant; that would be cheaper and you can be very honest about the situations in your company.

Shimon

twanmul

Starting to get Involved
We have a good relationship with our NB due to the device classification and therefore require a good relationship as part of conformity assessment.
We do have an alternate way to meet with our NB and this is through "contract review" in the same way that we would for any other supplier. Although they are enacting a role as required within the directive, we still need to ensure we're getting "value for money." It should be noted that this is the primary purpose of the meeting but whilst there, it does help to open up discussions (i.e. certificate updates, potential new/adapted products, design changes etc) but wouldn't be used for any type of consultancy or advice.
Having a good relationship at inspection is key also but this takes time, multiple inspections and familiarity with the inspectors (who are often different people than those executing conformity assessment related procedures).
All of this really depends on why your company are wanting a good relationship. If they believe it will help to give a favourable inspection outcome or help to pass conformity assessment, then a regular meeting probably won't make any difference. If it is to help with communication lines and open them up to discussion regarding timelines for design changes and new product development, then this might be useful.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Good morning.
Just a small question...

In order to build good relationship with Notified Body, our management suggest having regular meeting with NB every month or every quarter. I know what they mean but I'm kind of dubious about the suggestion.
Have you been doing anything to build a good relationship with NB?
I am sure the NB salespeople would love to have daily meetings with your company leadership, but as already mentioned, their technical people are too busy generating revenue to chit chat with customers.

A few years ago, when I was part of the management team for a global CB/NB, I worked with @Marc to develop a members-only sub forum here at the Cove to promote communication with certified customers. But I learned that the overwhelming majority of organizations don’t want to interact with anyone that has oversight authority over them.

Nono

Registered
Your best approach is to cultivate informal relationship with the NB inspector; it will go a long way.
If you need professional advice find yourself a good consultant; that would be cheaper and you can be very honest about the situations in your company.

Shimon
Thanks, Shimon.
Thant's right, the best approach is to build informal relationship to close communication. I'll try it!

We have a good relationship with our NB due to the device classification and therefore require a good relationship as part of conformity assessment.
We do have an alternate way to meet with our NB and this is through "contract review" in the same way that we would for any other supplier. Although they are enacting a role as required within the directive, we still need to ensure we're getting "value for money." It should be noted that this is the primary purpose of the meeting but whilst there, it does help to open up discussions (i.e. certificate updates, potential new/adapted products, design changes etc) but wouldn't be used for any type of consultancy or advice.
Having a good relationship at inspection is key also but this takes time, multiple inspections and familiarity with the inspectors (who are often different people than those executing conformity assessment related procedures).
All of this really depends on why your company are wanting a good relationship. If they believe it will help to give a favourable inspection outcome or help to pass conformity assessment, then a regular meeting probably won't make any difference. If it is to help with communication lines and open them up to discussion regarding timelines for design changes and new product development, then this might be useful.
Dear Twanmul,

Thank you very much for your prompt and professional advice, which is helpful...!!

Top Bottom