Regular meetings with Notified Body

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Missed this one. Do tell!
I'm assuming you're just too new to all of this, and probably too young, to remember and do not have a grasp of the history.

Perry had one of the earliest, most successful ISO 9001 businesses. I can't remember the exact year but it was around 2000 that there was a complaint that the company did both registrations and consulting - A supposed conflict of interest. Despite the fact that many companies were doing the exact same thing, Perry's company ended up as sort of a scapegoat/example. Perry was pretty smart - He just divided up the company into two separate "companies". If I recall he isolated them in different locations to make a "clean break" between the two, so to speak.

Perry Johnson works with ISO 9001 and various other ISO standards, and aerospace standards, as well as laboratory accreditations and such. They do consulting, implementations, training of various kinds, and they do registrations to various standards.

Perry was an excellent salesman and he developed a highly successful business. I remember one of his early techniques was to distribute VHS tapes explaining ISO 9001 somewhat like the old AOL practice of sending everyone and their brother and mother AOL CDs.

While I remember the controversy, I can't say I paid much attention to it because back then many companies were doing the same consulting/registration combined stuff. And if you are keeping track world wide, the same stuff continues today along with the complaints of bogus certificates and "certification mills".

Also see: Perry Johnson Registrars Food Safety, Inc. (PJRFSI)

Here is an old discussion of Perry Johnson: PJR (Perry Johnson) Reputation - What is it? Is it deserved?

Last edited:

Nono

Registered
I'm assuming you're just too new to all of this, and probably too young, to remember and do not have a grasp of the history.

Perry had one of the earliest, most successful ISO 9001 businesses. I can't remember the exact year but it was around 2000 that there was a complaint that the company did both registrations and consulting - A supposed conflict of interest. Despite the fact that many companies were doing the exact same thing, Perry's company ended up as sort of a scapegoat/example. Perry was pretty smart - He just divided up the company into two separate "companies". If I recall he isolated them in different locations to make a "clean break" between the two, so to speak.

Perry Johnson works with ISO 9001 and various other ISO standards, and aerospace standards, as well as laboratory accreditations and such. They do consulting, implementations, training of various kinds, and they do registrations to various standards.

Perry was an excellent salesman and he developed a highly successful business. I remember one of his early techniques was to distribute VHS tapes explaining ISO 9001 somewhat like the old AOL practice of sending everyone and their brother and mother AOL CDs.

While I remember the controversy, I can't say I paid much attention to it because back then many companies were doing the same consulting/registration combined stuff. And if you are keeping track world wide, the same stuff continues today along with the complaints of bogus certificates and "certification mills".

Also see: Perry Johnson Registrars Food Safety, Inc. (PJRFSI)

Here is an old discussion of Perry Johnson: PJR (Perry Johnson) Reputation - What is it? Is it deserved?

Dear Marc,

Thank you very much for providing the past history, which is informative.
You taught me a valuable lesson!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I want to be clear - I am not pro Perry Johnson, nor "against" him and his companies, and do not now, nor have I ever, had any connection with him or his companies in any way. I can say Perry has been in the ISO 9001 business since 1990, I think. I know his first ISO 9001 book came out in 1993.

Although the complaint was about 20 years ago, I did notice that his current "registration services" website contains this statement (which I assume has been there for many years):

A Word About Conflict of Interest

PJR takes great measure to ensure that no conflicts of interest occur. In order to maintain our accreditation, PJR must comply with a number of documents, all of which contain clear conflict of interest clauses: EN 45012, General Criteria for Certification Bodies Operating Quality System Certification; ANSI-ASQ Criteria for Accreditation; ISO/IEC 17021-1, Conformity Assessment – Requirements for Bodies Providing Audit and Certification of Management Systems, Guidelines for Quality and/or Environmental Management Systems Auditing. Failure to comply would result in the loss of our accreditation certificates. In addition, according to PJR by-laws, its employees, subcontractors and auditors cannot engage in any activities that may constitute or be reasonably perceived to constitute a conflict of interest with PJR’s registration services for any client.

Philip B

Quite Involved in Discussions
Beware hidden charges; BSi charge £240 per hour for unplanned support. You might think it is just a chat but, like solicitors, they might bill you for it!

Top Bottom