Reinstatement of Revoked Certification for NDT per NAS 410 8.4

Good morning. Evaluating a finding we rec'd regarding a revoked certification for termination of employment, where the person was later re-hired and re-certified.

Specifically in light of 8.4, which states "Certifications which have expired or been revoked may only be re-instated by specific and practical examination equivalent to initial certification. For the definitions of "General, Specific and Practical" I reference 7.1.2 through 7.1.4. This tells me that in this event the General examination described in 7.1.2 is not required to be repeated, as long as adequate records are available of the original General examination.

Finding specifically notes that "Inspector was employed by the supplier from x to y so the current certification is an initial certification but a General examination was not included. Only a Specific and Practical was given as if this was a re-certification."

I'm new to the industry, so not sure if I'm missing some key directive or rule of practice, as I'm not sure, by my reading, why this would even be a minor much less a major.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
It’s difficult to comment without having the full facts and timelines, but on face value you may have a point and it might be worth ‘appealing’ the NCR. However, NAS 410 requires that you have your own Written Practice (WP)– what does your WP require for these circumstances? Do you have your own Company rules beyond the NAS 410 requirement? In addition, do your Customers have any specific requirements for Certification of personnel that this does not meet? Are all previous Certification records available for scrutiny?

Thanks for the reply. It's re-assuring, as that's the chain of logic I used in discussing with my responsible UT Tech, specifically what our procedures called for and whether we had retained the records from the person's first tenure with the Company, which were in line but not exceeding the NAS 410 requirements to our understanding as detailed above.

The auditor did not raise any additional Customer-specific requirements, and our previous discussions indicated that we met the requirements of one specific Prime who engages us regularly, but that's where I plan to look next to verify what kind of ground we're standing on before escalating the issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S QSB+ revoked - Notify registrar, what's next? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
A Q1 Revoked. How does this affect TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Sidney Vianna News you don't see everyday - Certification revoked Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
K USB VID/PID certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
N Any experience with Registrars that deny Certification to a Registrant? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
J Hitrust Certification (HIPPA etc.) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P ISO 13485:2016 MDSAP Certification Fee Survey ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
K Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Exam - November 2020 preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
B Advantages of a corporate certification scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R FCC certification (contract manufacturer) TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S RA (Regulatory Affairs) certification & Online Internship Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
B Directory of Largest Global Certification Bodies (Accredited) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
M CE self-certification for Class I device (face mask) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
V Iso13485 certification vs CE technical audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Watchcat Duration of MDD Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
DuncanGibbons FAA's Building Block approach to certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
G USAS ISO 9001 Certification, online is it worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Using your Manufacturer's ISO certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
M Informational EU – First IVDR designated Notified Body – DEKRA Certification GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0