Relabeling due to FDA Detention Notice

D

dnormand

I am a foreign manufacturer that has shipped Class II medical devices to our distributor the US. Upon Inspection FDA noticed some labeling issues which require our attention. Can I use our US Distributor facilities to re label the devices? Re lebeling will require a over sticker addition "Rx Only".

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: Relabeling due to FDA Customs Detention Notice

Your post suggests that the devices reached your distributor, but the thread title says they're detained.

If your distributor has them, I'd think you could re-label them there. If they're in a Customs warehouse, you'll have to ask Customs if the goods can be moved to another secured facility where they can be modified by your distributor or another party for re-inspection.

Note that "FDA" and "Customs" are two distinct agencies with separate requirements. It's a good idea to be clear on which you're referencing at a given time.

D

dnormand

Thanks for your reply. You are correct that the shipment was released
by customs then detained by FDA then ultimately released for shipment
to be held "intact" by our distributor. That is where we are at. I
guess the real question is are there any special requirements that
would prohibit us from relabeling at the distributor for FDA inspection?

M

MIREGMGR

I don't have any experience with your situation ("...released for shipment to be held "intact" by our distributor..."), and I don't have a copy of PREDICT rules that would define that direction or restriction. Do I correctly understand that you may not distribute until a further FDA release?

If so, then I'd think you'll need an OK from FDA in writing before making any changes to the products.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Thanks for your reply. You are correct that the shipment was released
by customs then detained by FDA then ultimately released for shipment
to be held "intact" by our distributor. That is where we are at. I
guess the real question is are there any special requirements that
would prohibit us from relabeling at the distributor for FDA inspection?
Could you specify the reason for FDA detention ?

M

MIREGMGR

Detention is discussed in several guidances. One says:

Detention is the action that FDA takes against imported medical devices that do not comply with the laws that FDA administers (21 CFR 800.55)). FDA may detain imported medical devices whenever physical examination or testing of a medical device, or examination of medical device labeling and labeling claims by FDA show that the medical device violates FDA laws. The importer of record may file an appeal requesting an informal hearing. A presiding FDA officer will affirm or revoke the detention. Detained devices are either released if brought into compliance or refused entry if not brought into compliance.
This unfortunately doesn't address the specific issue, i.e. whether you can proceed on your own with the "bringing into compliance" labeling change, or instead must have permission from FDA before changing the detained product.

You might want to call DSMICA and ask. If they don't know either, they'll probably point you to someone within FDA who can answer definitively.

D

dnormand

The product was detained due to "Rx Only" labeling. It is a clear violation and was a mistake not picked up from our Quality Systems. We choose to remove the "..for use only under the supervision of.." and put the Rx Only but did the former and not the later.

We now have to relabel tens of thousands of pieces :(

thanks for the comments and help

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Relabeling or Not Relabeling - Adding our internal Part Number barcode label 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Relabeling Product Manufactured by the OEM 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Design Control for Relabeling and Repackaging 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
D Regulations for Relabeling of Medical Device for Address Change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R FDA & Recall (voluntary) - Relabeling devices from a different distributor 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Certificate Suspension? Shut down due to Covid-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I IATF 2016 - 8.5.1.4 Verification after shutdown due to COVID19 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
S Returned product due to Customers fault, is it a Non-Conformance? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
R DCMA QAS is holding up shipments of product due to them being late AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
V "Manufacturer Symbol on Device is missed due to space constraint" EU requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 11
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
F MDR ISO 13485 for Class I sw/hw company to be class II due dates ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Help with Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
G Is the calibration due date of equipment used to be on calibration certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
K Risk Analysis Updates due to complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
G Informational Is Past due calibration a non-conformance if tagged "Do Not Use"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A ISO 14001:2015 transition audit - Major NC due to the procedure and audit plan ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
E Non Conformity due to Outsourced Internal Audit Error ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
G Example of Calibration Due Reminders to Leads, Managers & Directors General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Issue with CAPA system - Should Over Due CAs warrant a CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
M CAPA due to Consumer not following Maintenance Instructions... Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
R Due Diligence - IGC USA - Anybody know anything about them? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
Anerol C Procedure to stop a machine due to safety Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
J Validating a stopped test due to never finding any defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Q REACH due dilligence and meeting the ever moving SVHC target RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
M Multiple versions of device due to power connectors? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
X When a Gage is past the Calibration Due Date General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T Would my AS 9110 certificate lapse due to non availability of auditors ? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
A Project Management Due Diligence Procedure example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
N Non-conformances due to Human Error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 64
B Amending Registration with CFDA due to Change in Site of Manufacture China Medical Device Regulations 3
K 21 CFR Part Part 803 Corrections - Due Diligence - Contacting MIA Consignees US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Documentation needed when changing software due non-compliance of 21 CRF Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R New PSW due to Company Name Change APQP and PPAP 4
W Calibration Recall or Due Dates - Latitude Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
D State Past Due on its own Meter Inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
X Poor GR&R results due to Low Part Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
S No Calibration Due Date on a Calibration Certificate unless requested by a customer? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
Q Last work week due to immigration process, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Immigration and Expatriate Topics 7
A Calibration Requirements after Exceeding the Calibration Due Date General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
L Can Extent of Documentation differ due to the Competence of Personnel? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9