B

biboy2012

At the back of a photo of a young 16-year-old girl are these words:
My dearest Tom,

I love you with an everlasting love.
I will love you forever and ever.
I am yours for all eternity.
Even if the earth be no more, and the sun has melted from the sky,
and the moon has shrunk to dust – our love for each other shall endure!

Eternally yours,
Dianne

PS. If we ever break up, I want this picture back.
Hilarious. But real. According to Divorce.com, the divorce rate as of April 2011 in the United Sates is holding right about 50 percent. I'm curious on the % of married couples end up returning each other's photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Hilarious. But real. According to Divorce.com, the divorce rate as of April 2011 in the United Sates is holding right about 50 percent. I'm curious on the % of married couples end up returning each other's photos.
More likely, they are tearing them up and burning them if they are printed or just deleting if they are digital. My guess is only a very small percentage actually use them as dart boards.

If there are children, they might not do anything [with the photos] to preserve the illusion of an "amicable divorce."

J

JRKH

I don't see this as a big deal one way or the other.
After my previous marriage of 19 years broke up there were so many "common" photos that it would be impossible to separate. Any that could not be divided were copied...

Peace
James

B

biboy2012

More likely, they are tearing them up and burning them if they are printed or just deleting if they are digital. My guess is only a very small percentage actually use them as dart boards.

If there are children, they might not do anything [with the photos] to preserve the illusion of an "amicable divorce."
Thanks for your response, Wes. So, it's the story of our lives. I know that deep within you, you want a relationshio that will last forever, but for the sake of discussion my question is this. Did you experience returning photos, tearing them up, or burning them? Are you a part of the small percentage who use them as dart boards? When I say "relationship," it is not limited to married couples. And I think all of us have been through broken relationship - between best friends, between co-workers, between parents and children, between siblings etc

B

biboy2012

I don't see this as a big deal one way or the other.
After my previous marriage of 19 years broke up there were so many "common" photos that it would be impossible to separate. Any that could not be divided were copied...

Peace
James
Why is it so? Are we rigged for eternal relationship? Are we designed for that?

J

JRKH

Why is it so? Are we rigged for eternal relationship? Are we designed for that?

I don't know...In my case when we split up (even though it was my decision to end it) I did not "hate" her. It's not as though I could not stand to see her face. We had many good times together and pictures generally reflected those good times and not the issues underlying the break-up.
Plus many pictures had family and friends in them so why get rid of those people.

That said - and relating this to the OP picture and inscription. Refusing to return the picture or destroying the picture stems from anger. Something I try very hard not control me. I've seen too many people hurt and too many people do things they later regret.

So - are we rigged for eternal relationships?
That is an entire thread all it's own....

Peace
James

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
An end to a relationship can have MANY different outcomes depending on the reason for the breakup. Some people choose to hold onto pictures as memories of the happiness you had, others discard them to help with the healing process.

Personally, I try (usually unsuccessfully) to keep things amicable after it is over, but I am learning that most people just close the door and forget they EVER had the relationship.

G

gbcqc

I don't know...In my case when we split up (even though it was my decision to end it) I did not "hate" her. It's not as though I could not stand to see her face. We had many good times together and pictures generally reflected those good times and not the issues underlying the break-up.
Plus many pictures had family and friends in them so why get rid of those people.

James,
It is funny that you said "it's not as though I could not stand to see her face." My ex and I had a very easy peaceful divorce. No kids made it easier. We still get along very well, but when we happen to be around shared friends and they will ask us "You guys get along so well, why the divorce?" We both tell them that we just got tired of waking up and looking at each others face. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

John Prine:

G

gbcqc

John Prime, one of my old favorites.
Please don't bury me and Often is a word I seldom use.

Top Bottom