Relevance of Self Managed Teams (SMTs) in Regulated Industries

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
How do you select/train/prepare the team for implementation of SMT (Self Managed Teams)?

What are the challenges in implementing SMTs concept in regulated industries?

SMT : Wikipedia reference-linkTeam

C

CGarveyX

I do not have a ton of experience building or leading teams and I am fairly new to managing personnel, but one resource that has been very helpful for me is The Team Handbook 3rd Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Team-Handbook-Third-Peter-Scholtes/dp/1884731260). It has lots of information on different types of teams, how to form them, who should be in them as well as the responsibilities of each role. It also has tips on how to get teams to work together and how to motivate team members.

I have used some of the ideas in this book within my own department (Information Technology) and have had good results and look forward to expanding their application throughout the company.

K

KLDLetts - 2012

The company I work for uses a program developed by Competitive Dynamics International. It's called Mission Directed Work Teams. There are a bunch of training modules as a part of the program. I can't say we have it perfected yet, but we have seen measurable improvements.

Disclosure - I do not work for Competitive Dynamics, nor did I choose to use their product, but I do use their product in my workplace.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
How do you select/train/prepare the team for implementation of SMT (Self Managed Teams)?

Hi,
Based on my experience, SMT were selected by appointing somebody to be a member of the said team. Said Appointment will come from the Department Manager of the Organization. The content of the appointment has the following responsibilities and authorities of SMT Head : 1. Implement activities in their respective areas and lead all members in the effective execution of related activities; 2. Track all status and progress of the team performance, identify opportunities for improvement and recommend solutions to problems encountered in the process and/or areas; 3. Communicate regularly to the team Members the status of their performance and all actions relating to its improvement; 4. Encourage members to effectively and efficiently implement their continuous improvement activities in their areas and/or processes.

With regard to challenges, the most difficult challenges for the implementation of SMT is "THE LACK OF MANAGEMENT COMMITMENT AND/OR SUPPORT"...This is the number one barrier in any organization. :frust:

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I

iamtroll

SMT : Wikipedia reference-linkTeam
Why would you think that self directed work teams would have any particularly different challenges in regulated industries? The nature of these teams is such that it is not so much the work content that challenges them differently as it is the corporate culture. A positive supporting culture is more important for teams to succeed then what the actual responsibilities of the team are. This implies that the individual chosen for the team are competent.

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
ideally, what you said is spot on; true in letter & spirit.. & i have seen/hear ""certain"" places operating that way...

but then, regulated industries viz., pharma or devices
you cannot take chances...so usually you add a hand holding teams;

still the risk is too high; one way of gauging that is to lets say,

with best of the facilities/organizations have to face recalls & 483 and warning letters;
so, what additional measures has to be taken to avoid the above risk!!! is it in the purview envisioned for SMTs?
if the measures are put in place then would the advantages of SMTs be worthwhile? (advantageous?)

Top Bottom