Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing

Randy

Super Moderator
Are any of you folks that are actively engaged in the 3rd party auditing world like me having to do a fast catch up and refresher on "IAF MD4 Mandatory Document for the Use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for Auditing/Assessment Purposes" because of Corona Virus (Covid19)? I've received about half a dozen procedure/policy updates today myself.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Are any of you folks that are actively engaged in the 3rd party auditing world like me having to do a fast catch up and refresher on "IAF MD4 Mandatory Document for the Use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for Auditing/Assessment Purposes" because of Corona Virus (Covid19)? I've received about half a dozen procedure/policy updates today myself.
So, tell us: how would you plan to perform a REMOTE management system audit when the auditee's workforce is working from home, practicing social (and professional :p) distancing? It is quite obvious that a lot of audit evidence won't be available for review.

One thing is to perform a remote audit when the only remote person is the auditor. It is a TOTALLY different thing to plan an audit when, pretty much, everyone is working remotely from their kitchen tables. It is time for the Accreditation Bodies to realize that and release some common sense guidance. However, they tend to react with the speed of an elderly snail, stuck in first gear, with the parking brake engaged.

Randy

Super Moderator
Taking a break

Doing one right now using Skype and phone, showing the organization dashboard, documents and everything else as well as limited interview and verification with some email taking place, onsite needs are deferred until 2021 and requires extending the duration appropriately. This one schedule to be 2.5 days onsite but remote 1.5 days and next year going from 2.5 to 3.5 days that will include all the production line visits, warehousing and all that.

Randy

Super Moderator
So, tell us: how would you plan to perform a REMOTE management system audit when the auditee's workforce is working from home, practicing social (and professional :p) distancing? It is quite obvious that a lot of audit evidence won't be available for review.

One thing is to perform a remote audit when the only remote person is the auditor. It is a TOTALLY different thing to plan an audit when, pretty much, everyone is working remotely from their kitchen tables. It is time for the Accreditation Bodies to realize that and release some common sense guidance. However, they tend to react with the speed of an elderly snail, stuck in first gear, with the parking brake engaged.
You're right about people working remote so we're doing a 9-10 hour conference call and conference Skype that people enter and leave as necessary.

"It is quite obvious that a lot of audit evidence won't be available for review." It's also quite obvious that a lot of evidence is available for review as well especially when an entity like this one is almost paper free and subjected to numerous external audits and inspections throughout the year (These folks are currently on the front line making disinfectant wipes). Example, I'm able to follow a customer order from receipt, to delivery, receiving inspection, to analytical and microbial lab analysis, through production and shipping.....All electronically. The only thing missing is actually watching it (we'll do that next year). Following up today I'll be verifying equipment maintenance, instrument calibration and employee competence/training involving the materials/order I selected...........All electronically (the only things missing are observing a screwdriver being turned, cal sticker being placed, or someone doing CBT for a work instruction)

The workforce isn't at home, in fact they've added some people and increased production on a couple lines while reducing production on less health & safety critical products.

If organizations had their heads in the right places this would be nothing more than a contingency plan in a Business Continuity Program (part of the QMS here and another MOC issue)

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
If organizations had their heads in the right places this would be nothing more than a contingency plan in a Business Continuity Program (part of the QMS here and another MOC issue)
Do you have ANY EVIDENCE that shows that organizations compliant and certified to ISO 22301:2019 are not facing any disruption during this pandemic crisis? BC plans are, in the overwhelming part, paper exercises that don't survive 10 seconds of reality.

Yesterday, I saw the following in LinkedIn. Even the colors remind me of ambulance chasing marketing.

Annotation 2020-03-19 092904.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom