SBS - The best value in QMS software

Remote IATF 16949 audit preparation

batteryguy

Involved In Discussions
I was informed by our CB on Thursday the 18th that our audit scheduled to begin on the the 29th will be a remote audit instead of in-person because our auditor put in her 2 week notice, and the CB has no other auditors available to meet our needs. Instead of 4 days with 1 auditor, we'll get 2 days with 2 remote auditors. My beef with this is that instead of myself being tied up with the auditor for 4 days, someone else less knowledgeable about IATF will have to spend 2 days with an auditor as well.

Does anyone that has been through a remote audit have any words of wisdom to help us prepare for the remote aspect of the audit? We're planning to ensure connectivity throughout our facility prior to the audit.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
batteryguy,

My advice would be to do a dummy run with someone remote. Ensure you can communicate clearly throughout your facility and if you're running on tablets or phones that you have enough juice to last for a full day. A contingency plan in case of connectivity, software or power failures would be good, maybe you backup to phones for the interim or something. Perhaps a spare phone/tablet on charge or have a power bank strapped to the guide to always power the device.

Also how are you going to share documentation? Just through the camera or will file sharing be used, if so how?

Best of luck, I managed to insist on an on-site audit this time round. I've heard nothing fun from remote audits.

batteryguy

Involved In Discussions
batteryguy,

My advice would be to do a dummy run with someone remote. Ensure you can communicate clearly throughout your facility and if you're running on tablets or phones that you have enough juice to last for a full day. A contingency plan in case of connectivity, software or power failures would be good, maybe you backup to phones for the interim or something. Perhaps a spare phone/tablet on charge or have a power bank strapped to the guide to always power the device.

Also how are you going to share documentation? Just through the camera or will file sharing be used, if so how?

Best of luck, I managed to insist on an on-site audit this time round. I've heard nothing fun from remote audits.
Thanks Johnny,

We've got a walkthrough scheduled for today with the auditors, including a tour of the facility to test connectivity. Document sharing will be through screen sharing unless there is something on the floor they want to look at. I ordered some webcams to allow for a forward facing camera and microphone on the laptops we'll be using.

Unfortunately I don't think we have time to have an on-site audit because we've got to complete this by April 6th.

We noticed that during our "tech check" that iphones and ipads seem to work better than android and have excellent battery life, iPod pros ear buds to reduce background noise while using them in transparent mode to interview people working in the area. Also we use a stand for our more stationary MFG audits and a selfie stick to maintain Covid distance during lab audits. We lose connectivity in the center of the plant, however you may have a contingency by using zoom or teams through hard wire at the various work stations. We have not had to use that yet.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
We had a fully remote ISO 45k audit. I was actually impressed with how well it went. I talked to the auditor well in advance of the audit. We confirmed how we would share data, and what platforms we would use. The auditor would ask to look at something visually, I would aim the camera that way.

In the plant, it can be a little loud at times. So we agreed that I would help out with clarification if someone couldn't quite understand what was asked. Also, make sure people in the plant are aware that they will be speaking to an auditor through facetime, zoom, teams, etc. It will cut back on the initial confusion when you walk up to someone with your cell phone or tablet.

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
We have our IATF audit starting 4/5 (remote). We have been trying to test connectivity- the best thing we have at this point is to use the web-ex app on our iphones (connected to WIFI) to show video. We will interview staff in an office as the manufacturing floor is WAY too loud to effectively talk with someone.

batteryguy

Involved In Discussions
We have our IATF audit starting 4/5 (remote). We have been trying to test connectivity- the best thing we have at this point is to use the web-ex app on our iphones (connected to WIFI) to show video. We will interview staff in an office as the manufacturing floor is WAY too loud to effectively talk with someone.
We just wrapped up our audit today in a similarly loud environment on the manufacturing floor. We used Zoom/Microsoft Teams meetings so we could share documents electronically if needed and also show video/audio on the shop floor. We found that a combination of a cheap webcam from Amazon and a Jabra speaker/microphone that could be held right next to the person speaking worked well.

My division and plant have been through several remote audits. Plan to have a ipad or tablet hooked up to walk their head around and have earphones so you can hear the questions they ask operators if your environment is loud. It isn't very effective but necessary these days. We didn't have a tablet so I walked around with my laptop. I wish I had practiced with another quality manager to see what else was needed - headphones would have been practical....

batteryguy

Involved In Discussions
One other piece of advice I can give...we put our camera/laptop on a rolling cart to provide some stability as we were moving around the facility. Our auditors were very appreciative of this and mentioned that some of their previous remote audits were making them motion sick because the video was unstable.

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
I'm not sure if we can share products but we ordered these headsets and they work amazing AND are osha compliant.

ISO tune pro earplug headphones, 27 db noise reduction rating, noise cancelling mic. I found them on amazon for $69.99 (old version). There is also a newer version with better battery life that I wasn't allowed by buy because the increased price.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M IATF 16949 - Audit of Remote Location/Support Site and IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Crimpshrine13 IATF 16949 and ISO 9001 Remote Support - Pass Through Inventory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
A Adding Remote Site to Current IATF 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B IATF 16949 - Different Registrars for remote and manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J IATF 16949 - Company Sold - Remote Location Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Remote Sites per IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L IATF 16949: Adding a Remote Location between certifications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L IATF external audit virtual (remote) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
G Timing allowed by IATF to close a Remote Site Minor Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Why have IATF rules required the CBs to audit remote supporting functions at first? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Does FDA allows remote approvals of quality documentation. Is there any specific guidance on signing any quality records remotely? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V Remote QMS Coordinator Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
supadrai Remote Opportunity - Large Scale Glove Factory QMS / RA / Legal Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
R Remote Audits for ISO 9001 (or any other standard) General Auditing Discussions 31
Ed Panek Remote Audit GOTOMEETING thoughts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
B ISO 9001 - "Remote Audit Fee" Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 32
Randy Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
J Remote location vs. site extension IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Acceptance of remote auditing techniques - Can you help me with my research? General Auditing Discussions 0
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Supporting Process Definitions - Remote Locations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S RSL (Remote Site Location) Laboratory - Does it need to be ISO 17025 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
W Is sharing resources treated same way as remote function? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Remote Support - Calculating Number of Employees IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Certificate Scope Change - Remote Location(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Internal Audit Frequency - Remote Site (a Design Center) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D No evidence of certain processes on our scope being audited at our remote location IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
1 Applicable ISO 9001:2015 Clauses for Remote Site(s) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Remote Office only has Invoice Function - Audit Needed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
B Thoughts on performing an ISO 9001:2015 Remote Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Marc The Most Remote and Beautiful Landscape in the World Is in Westfjords, Iceland Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
A Remote Support Location Audit - Engineering prototyping and process evaluation Internal Auditing 2
A Supplier's remote site is not on their ISO 9001 Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Role of Remote Locations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J ISO/TS 16949:2009 Remote Support Provided By Sister Plants IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Other Remote Locations - Do they need to be under our ISO/AS9100 System? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
O How can I test remote control for television? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
S Customer or Support - Remote Location IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
L Remote Control Inspection Digital Indicator with a TIR (range) function Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Why are remote supporting functions audited first? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Example of additional Audits of Remote Supporting Functions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T TS 16949 Remote Site Certification Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S ISO 19011 - Remote Auditing Imported Legacy Blogs 5
Q Rule for ISO/TS16949 Triennial Audit of Multiple Sites (Remote Locations) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Smartphone based software with automatic "rating" from remote servers Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
D Use Remote Design Center - How should 7.3 be addressed in Quality Manual? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A TS 16949 Audit Cycle for Remote Locations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17