Removing final inspector for medical device manufacturing

ValGal

Starting to get Involved
Hi everyone,

I am supporting a small US medical device manufacturer (for the US market) that wishes to not have an independent final inspector for the finished device.
They would like the final inspection to be performed by the same individuals that manufactured the device (CNC, AM, so on).
Furthermore, the manufacturing facility will not have a quality representative on-site, but remote at the US HQ. Therefore, I am also concerned about NC reporting (for QMS and product), scrap, containment, and so on.

I've reviewed 21 CFR 820 and I can't really find enough defense in the regulation against the operator also being the final inspector.

Can someone give me some thoughts into this situation? Do you think these two situations are a problem? Do you think they aren't problem? Both are making me uncomfortable.

Thank you for any feedback and advice!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Involved In Discussions
I would also be concerned about independence and authority. Is it possible for a peer production operator to perform final acceptance activities? That would provide some level of independence. I have worked with a multi-site supplier with just a single Quality Manager reporting to the President-- the quality manager had no staff. Production operations, including quality assurance steps, were performed by Production. They addressed independence by having a different peer operator perform certain tasks (for example line set up verification, final acceptance). The quality culture of the organization, as well as the job descriptions & training for production employees, are key success factors.

blackholequasar

Involved In Discussions
It may not be expressly written but there is a high degree of risk having the same individual who produced an item also perform the quality function of inspecting it. I guess, to me, the whole point is to have an extra set of eyes come in fresh and review the product prior to release because they're more likely to see something out of conformance than the person who was working on it. I recently worked with a larger company who removed many quality tasks and left it to the operators, and the results were not in their favor. There were a lot of missed things because the operators were so used to looking at what they worked on that it almost gave them blinders to what was non-conforming.

So while it's not against regulation, there's a substantial risk in it. IMO

ValGal

Starting to get Involved
Thank you for your responses.
I fear that I am in a situation of having to wait until there are problems in order to defend my position - all in the name of "lean".
However, problems also put me in a bad situation. Old story, I know.

blah01

Involved In Discussions
Were you collecting inspection data/results of this final inspection being removed? If so, what does the data tell you? If you were finding issues during this independent final inspection then try to use this data to justify retaining some elements of this inspection. Otherwise, inspections without any data justifying it is just waste.

You should always be driving to reduce the cost of inspection. However to achieve this, you need to be collecting inspection results to drive down occurrences of defects and ultimately reduce inspections if the data justifies it. You could consider taking a gradual reduction in the inspection frequency by considering sampling and adopting switching rules (assuming you are doing 100% inspection right now). Also, if you were collecting inspection results then consider using this to quantify the risks with eliminating it outright.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Removing purchase order form from document control - should it be done? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D How to receive EASA approval for removing of engine QEC Kit EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
Q Removing Inspection (Functional Tests) from a Process Step Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
P Removing Detection from DFMEA - Medical Device company using ISO 13485 FMEA and Control Plans 3
A Gage Block Repair - What type of stone is acceptable for removing burrs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Removing fixed effects (time demeaned variables) in Minitab Using Minitab Software 12
A Removing the liner from disposable nicotine patch without using hand ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
A Removing the effect of special causes on Xbar-R chart - Centerless grinding process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T Control of Forms - Considering removing forms from our procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
I Mother bobbin final inspection criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-12 Designating authority’s final assessment form: Key Information Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final and update guidances – Software Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Final guidance – GUIDELINES on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devices covering phthalates which are carc Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Acceptance Review for De Novo Classification Requests Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Humanitarian Device Exemption (HDE) Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Consideration of Uncertainty in Making Benefit-Risk Determinations in Medical Device Premarket Approvals, De Novo Classificati Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Postmarketing Safety Reporting for Combination Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Metal Expandable Biliary Stents – Premarket Notification (510(k)) Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Requests for Supervisory Review of Certain Decisions Made by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health – Final Rule Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA final guidance – Marketing Clearance of Diagnostic Ultrasound Systems and Transducers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA final guidance – Utilizing Animal Studies to Evaluate Organ Preservation Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA final guidance Characterization of Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) Used in Orthopedic Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Unique Device Identification: Convenience Kits Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Recommended Content and Format of Non-Clinical Bench Performance Testing Information in Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
M Informational IMDRF final document – Assembly and Technical Guide for IMDRF Table of Contents Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M Informational USFDA Final Guidance – Medical Devices Containing Materials Derived from Animal Sources (Except for In Vitro Diagnostic Devices) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA Final Rule – Human Subject Protection; Acceptance of Data From Clinical Investigations for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Doubt on multiple inspection carrying out for same balloon number during Stage Inspection and Final Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M FDA News USFDA Final Guidance – Intent to Exempt Certain Unclassified Medical Devices from Premarket Notification Requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA Final Guidance – Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational USFDA Final Guidance – Coordinated Development of Antimicrobial Drugs and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Test Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA Final Guidance – The Least Burdensome Provisions: Concept and Principles Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA Final Report – MDUFA IV Independent Assessment of FDA’s Device Review Process Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA – Breakthrough Devices Program final guidance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA Final Guidance – Manufacturing Site Change Supplements: Content and Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M FDA News USFDA Final Rule – Medical Device Classification Procedures: Incorporating Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News The FDA Issues Final Rule on Medical Device Classification Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 03-10-18 - CDRH FY 2019 Proposed Guidance Development and Focused Retrospective Review of Final Guidance Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M CE / FCC Compliance for components + final product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
JoCam Medical Device Final Assembly Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 2
shimonv FDA released final guidance documents on what constitutes a significant change Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
T Primary & Secondary Inspection Definitions - Incoming, In-process & Final Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Serialization at Final Quality Check ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
SteveK Final Medical Device Regulations replacing MDD 93/42/EEC, etc. EU Medical Device Regulations 15