Renewal of Canada Manufacturer Licence if there is no Sales (Only Support)

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
I wondering if manufacturing license should be renewed for Canada if there is no sales only support for the existing customer base.
Many thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

What does "support" mean?

You run a website where customers can review documentation, or maintain a Customer Service/Tech Support phone number where they can ask questions?

You send out technicians to customer sites and repair/calibrate their existing equipment?

You send out replacement units to customers that have issues?

The Health Canada rules govern advertising in Canada, sales in Canada and importation into Canada. In the first two cases above, you wouldn't seem to need to do either activity. In the third case above, I think Health Canada might see such a transaction as a "constructive sale" in a legal sense, and importation of new units into Canada to replenish the service-stock might additionally be required.

sagai

I am trying to elaborate my question in more details.

When the Manufacturer is about not to accept any sales order from any potential or recent Customer as regard to Medical Device.
There is no accessory, no replacement unit, due to the nature of the MD, because its purely software.

However, the Manufacturer would like to support to existing Customer base with the ongoing Hotline service including but not limited to the Customer Call Center, Web site and in case of necessity with on-site service engineering support.

So, that's what I have intended to tag as no sales only support situation.

There is no direct advertising, no sales and no importation, but support activities.

Many thanks in advance.

M

MIREGMGR

I don't know the answer, and I don't think the question is answerable just from SOR 98/242. You might need a legal opinion.

Others might know differently, though.

What will you do about upgrades and patches? Are upgrades and patches insignificant, or are they the software equivalent of replacing an old physical product version with a newer version?

sagai

Thank you very much for your reply.
Actually there are no upgrades, no patches, surprisingly it is rock solid.
Many thanks, Cheers

RA Guy

Involved In Discussions
From the CMDR:
APPLICATION

2. These Regulations apply to
(a) the sale and advertising for sale of a medical device; and
(
b) the importation of a medical device for sale or for use on individuals, other than importation for personal use

As soon as active selling and distribution have ceased, I have always alowed the MDL to lapse at the next renewal period, regardless of its support requirements. By my interpretation, this applies even in the case of products that require support in terms of repair parts and service, software patches, etc. Complaints, recall, MPR, etc. under the regulations would still apply even after the MDL expired. Non-repair parts such as accessories and consumables may require an MDL.

What is not clear to me is the requirement to maintain ISO13485 for post-end of sales servicing in these cases. Potentailly a gap in the regulation, but not the first one that's been raised. I would think the manufacturer would want to keep the "certified" servicing processes in place as a matter of due dilligence if nothing else.

I'd be interested if there were other perspectives on this approach.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Medical Device License Renewal (MDL) Period - Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
T Health Canada - Device Changes to include in License Renewal Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
D License annual renewal - What changes to report to HC? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J License renewal process in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
V Regulations renewal IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J IVD registration renewal in China China Medical Device Regulations 6
S ISO 9001 Certification Renewal until 2017 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Saudi Arabia - Renewal of Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Renewal of "Accreditation Certificate of Foreign Medical Device Manufacturer" Japan Medical Device Regulations 3
sagai Renewal of US Manufacturer Licence if there are no Sales (Only Support Activities) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Renewal Audit comment and question General Auditing Discussions 8
I Registration Renewal of Drug Establishment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K Does Australia require any annual registration or license renewal for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Stijloor ASQ Membership Renewal Request Comes Early - Will you renew?? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 35
M Implementation period for standards - CE renewal submission - Class II medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B 3 year renewal audit this September, and I am worried already ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H Document Revision Service? Auditor wants a service for document revision/renewal ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
P We passed our ISO9001 and ISO/TS16949:2002 renewal December 2005 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A How many mandays needed for QS certificate renewal? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
E Renewal of Certificate: How Many Mandays? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
J CMO in Canada do they need MDSAP/13485 certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Importing medical device into Canada for exclusive distribution in the U.S. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M MDSAP required for Device Initial Importer/Distributor into Canada? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
S Where to start for MDSAP for Canada? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
Edward Reesor Impact of Health Canada Summary Reports Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
T Emailing Health Canada - response time? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
D Clinical Trial for Medical devices in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
Z Steps to take before an MDSAP audit for Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
S Submit to Health Canada with only MDSAP report? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
B Health Canada Submission Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
B Health Canada - Blood Glucose Meter Registration Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
J Requirements for registering Alcohol Wipes (70% IPA) in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M Is it Necessary to Use Health Canada Form when Reporting? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
Z NHP Health Canada Private Labelling Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
D GMDN code update - Canada - Do you know if there is guidance? Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
D Amendment Class II - Please confirm if the submission is by email (Canada) - Help Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
S Work performed in Canada on US patients using US device Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
R Exporting to Canada and MDSAP Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
C New Class III medical device application for Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
JoCam MDL in Canada without Canadian Electrical Testing Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
N Medical Device Misclassified by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
N How to look up all Class 1 medical devices on sale in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational Health Canada – Drug and medical device highlights 2018: Helping you maintain and improve your health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
N Selling a class II Medical Device in Canada in Pharmacies Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 10
M Informational Health Canada guidance document – Pre-market Requirements for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Mandatory reporting requirements for hospitals Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Professional Use Medical Software French Labeling for Canada -- Not Considered Medical Device Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Health Canada launches consultations to improve the safety of medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Notice: Revisions to the Guidance Document: Management of Applications for Medical Device Licences Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0