Rental Car References wanted - July in California

Ted Schmitt

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am planning a family vacation in July in California and require a rental car. With so many options of companies, any one care to recommend a company ?
Budget ? Thrifty? Avis? Hertz? National? Enterprise? and the list goes on...

Thanks !

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Rental car references

I am planning a family vacation in July in California and require a rental car. With so many options of companies, any one care to recommend a company ?
Budget ? Thrifty? Avis? Hertz? National? Enterprise? and the list goes on...

Thanks !
They're all good, and all are taking you for a ride :notme: if you're not careful.

Here's some info...

Stijloor.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: Rental car references

Randy should have some ideas as should some of the others who travel. I'm surprised no one else has spoken up.

I so rarely travel any more I wouldn't know what company is 'better'. Personally I hate choosing rental car companies when I travel. Too many options, terms and conditions to be able to easily compare them (especially the differences at the different locations).

Ted Schmitt

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks Marc for the reply... guess I´ll hold on a little longer for replys. The options are certainly dumbfounding... Thrifty and Budget are considerably cheaper... how? older cars? who knows...:notme:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I don't think any of the major companies have older cars. I've done Thrifty in the past as well as Budget, but I've had different experiences at different locations. I can't remember any particularly bad experiences with any of the major companies. Most 'bad' experiences I've had weren't really 'bad' - More that I was traveling, tired and irritable so little things easily set me off.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks Marc for the reply... guess I´ll hold on a little longer for replys. The options are certainly dumbfounding... Thrifty and Budget are considerably cheaper... how? older cars? who knows...:notme:
It is very difficult to compare apples with apples in the rental car industry. If you can, do not rent cars at airports but find a way to get to an off-airport location. Even if you have to pay a cab fare, you may be 45% cheaper off by renting in another location. Cheaper rents mean smaller cars and also higher mileage vehicles. You need to do your shopping beforehand. Pick a vehicle, determine a time and check out rentals through Orbitz for example. Also, keep in mind that there may be different charges for folks from another country. It's usually the additional insurance charges that can bite you.

Good luck Ted.

Stijloor.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I do a lot of travel, and I've settled on Thrifty. Their prices are always competitive, and they seem to have good service overall. I've had a few bad experiences with Enterprise.

It is very difficult to compare apples with apples in the rental car industry. If you can, do not rent cars at airports but find a way to get to an off-airport location. Even if you have to pay a cab fare, you may be 45% cheaper off by renting in another location. Cheaper rents mean smaller cars and also higher mileage vehicles. You need to do your shopping beforehand. Pick a vehicle, determine a time and check out rentals through Orbitz for example. Also, keep in mind that there may be different charges for folks from another country. It's usually the additional insurance charges that can bite you.

Good luck Ted.

Stijloor.
I totally agree with Jan. Get off airport rentals - and avoid all kinds of fees. I'd go with Enterprise, although the process can take hours (what seems like it) to do the paperwork, get the car etc. They are going to be cleaner cars than airport cars, too! Enterprise do some cheap weekends deals if you don't need one all week.

T

True Position

Don't forget to check what insurance your credit card offers automatically for car rentals, they will still try to sell you a policy even if you may already be covered through your credit card.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Rental of Scaffolding - Contract is COST PLUS? Service Industry Specific Topics 4
E ISO 9001 - 7.5.4 Customer Property - Services (e.g.: Training) on Rental Property ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
W Cost Plus Contract - Who pays for Rental of Scaffolding? Service Industry Specific Topics 13
M Important procedures and clauses for company which provides equipment rental Service Industry Specific Topics 1
C Faro Platinum Arm Rental in Ohio - Immediate need Service Industry Specific Topics 3
T Calibration of Rental Electronic Measurement and Test Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Rental of "Off-The-Shelf" Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Oil & Gas industry - ISO 9001 Compliance - Rental Tool Company Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 12
A Rental Warehouse Audit required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
N Comcast Equipment Rental - Getting credit for returned equipment After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
G When to start calibration cycle - Electronic test equipment rental company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Marc Mule Car aka Body Mule Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Electric Car circa 1898 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
T Closing out CAR while waiting for design change Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
C Supplier blowing off CAR request Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 45
J When to Initiate a CAR (Corrective Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
5 Expediting Internal Corrective Action Requests (CAR) Closures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
L Packaging Issues Resulted CAR by customer Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M I need Audit Checklists for nearly all Car suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
R ISO 13485 Validation and CAR Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Having a hard time closing CAR/ PAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
L Is a CAR addressed to your customer the best way to communicate with? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Marc NHTSA - Crash imminent braking and dynamic brake support to its New Car Assessment World News 1
Marc Car Navigation Systems - Dedicated or Smartphone? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
L Customer requies 'Jet Test' on a Car Part (Electronics Connectors) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur China breaks world record for car sales in 2013 ! World News 1
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
W What Are Some Online Car Auction Websites? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
R MSA is similar to driving a car? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Car Talk Traffic Tickets Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
M So you want an internet ready car? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
B Combining a CAR, an NCR, and an Accident Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Should CAR be issued when the KPI is not achieved ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Supplier CAR response scoring Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
P Differences between an NCR and CAR Internal Auditing 9
T Do Customer Returns = NCR and CAR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Good Formats to use for CAR's/CAPA's for Safety Issues or Injuries Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M Audit Interview as Evidence to issue a CAR (Corrective Action Request) General Auditing Discussions 13
S Customer CAR request after waiting 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7