Repackaging and translation under MDR

My company wants to import Medical Device from china to EU, Chinese manufacturer declares that they are Class I single-use Medical Device and they have an Authorized Representative in the EU

We want to buy this Product packed in a collective box, without markings and instructions, which it is not intended to be delivered to the target customers.

In our company, we plan to repackage these products to unit packages in which they will reach target customers in various quantity variants.
We want our brand logo to be displayed on the Product and on the packaging. In addition, in the middle of the box, we want to put the instructions for use in different EU languages and from outside the EU, because we want to export this product also to countries outside the EU.

I am completely new in Medical Devices, so please help me.

From the information I already have, it appears that in order to remain only an importer, we have to sign contracts in which the Chinese manufacturer will commission us to repackage and translate? Because otherwise we would have to be certified as a Notified Body in accordance with MDR Article 16 (3) and (4)?

1) We know that in order to remain an importer, we must put the details of the Manufacturer and its Authorized Representative on the packaging. Is this information sufficient on the back of the packaging, while only our brand will be displayed on the front of the packaging, without information about the Chinese manufacturer?

2) Do the information in the instructions and on the packaging have to be identical to the manufacturer's packaging (which he sells directly under his brand)? Maybe can we make an agreement with the manufacturer that we will slightly modify the content of the instructions and information on the packaging? (e.g. Add some information about the product to encourage the customer to buy)

3) In this case, if we sign a subcontract with a Chinese producer, does he have to give the product its catalog numbers and the Chinese EAN (UDI-DI)? Can we also conclude an agreement with him, thanks to which the catalog numbers will remain in our style and the EAN will be with the EU prefix?

4) Am i right that, the name of the product cannot be translated into other languages? Must remain as on the declaration of conformity? But is it possible to add "product type indication" in different languages?

5) In that case, if we translate the information on the back of the packaging and the instructions into, for example, 7 EU languages, then, according to MDR, we must have all the information on the front in 7 languages (e.g. product type or some information about the product encouraging the customer to buy)? Can we only provide this information in e.g. two languages? Or only include them on the back of the package? Taking into account Article 10 (11) (and Annex I para. 23.2 to which reference is made).

6) Can we put exactly the same information on one package that the device is a medical device in a language from outside the EU and export these products to markets outside the EU where this device is not registered as a Medical Device? Maybe we can only change the content of the information in a given language, but the packaging will remain the same?

7) In the case of signing contracts in which we translate / repack at the request of the Manufacturer, do we also have to have internal procedures regulating these processes?

8) Should we use professional translators when translating "on behalf of" the producer? Can we use our own language skills?

I would appreciate your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Junn1992

Quite Involved in Discussions
while only our brand will be displayed on the front of the packaging, without information about the Chinese manufacturer?
According to MDR, if you use your own brand, you become the manufacturer and assume responsibilities of a manufacturer under the MDR.

‘manufacturer’ means a natural or legal person who manufactures or fully refurbishes a device or has a device designed, manufactured or fully refurbished, and markets that device under its name or trademark;

2) Do the information in the instructions and on the packaging have to be identical to the manufacturer's packaging (which he sells directly under his brand)? Maybe can we make an agreement with the manufacturer that we will slightly modify the content of the instructions and information on the packaging? (e.g. Add some information about the product to encourage the customer to buy)
Yes this is OK. BUT, subject to what is mentioned above.
3) In this case, if we sign a subcontract with a Chinese producer, does he have to give the product its catalog numbers and the Chinese EAN (UDI-DI)? Can we also conclude an agreement with him, thanks to which the catalog numbers will remain in our style and the EAN will be with the EU prefix?
Not really, if you market under your own brand, you become manufacturer. As such, you need to register an EU UDI for the product which is held by your company.
4) Am i right that, the name of the product cannot be translated into other languages? Must remain as on the declaration of conformity?
Yes

But is it possible to add "product type indication" in different languages?
what do you mean product type indication? Normally it just indicates the product is a medical device

6) Can we put exactly the same information on one package that the device is a medical device in a language from outside the EU and export these products to markets outside the EU where this device is not registered as a Medical Device? Maybe we can only change the content of the information in a given language, but the packaging will remain the same?
This is a bit tricky as there might be problems during importing into the EU. For re-export, do not see a problem.

7) In the case of signing contracts in which we translate / repack at the request of the Manufacturer, do we also have to have internal procedures regulating these processes?
Yes, there are specific requirements in the MDR for this.

8) Should we use professional translators when translating "on behalf of" the producer? Can we use our own language skills?
You can do it in-house, no problem, but you better make sure it does not affect the sales/marketing side. Which is why professional translations are always recommended, starting with english version as a base.

For question 5, you might not need 7 languages on the packaging, but definitely in IFU.

Thank you Junn1992 for your answer.

According to MDR, if you use your own brand, you become the manufacturer and assume responsibilities of a manufacturer under the MDR.

‘manufacturer’ means a natural or legal person who manufactures or fully refurbishes a device or has a device designed, manufactured or fully refurbished, and markets that device under its name or trademark;
Does Article 16 (1a) not apply here?

1.A distributor, importer or other natural or legal person shall assume the obligations incumbent on manufacturers if it does any of the following: (a) makes available on the market a device under its name, registered trade name or registered trade mark, except in cases where a distributor or importer enters into an agreement with a manufacturer whereby the manufacturer is identified as such on the label and is responsible for meeting the requirements placed on manufacturers in this Regulation;

Junn1992

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thank you Junn1992 for your answer.

1.A distributor, importer or other natural or legal person shall assume the obligations incumbent on manufacturers if it does any of the following: (a) makes available on the market a device under its name, registered trade name or registered trade mark, except in cases where a distributor or importer enters into an agreement with a manufacturer whereby the manufacturer is identified as such on the label and is responsible for meeting the requirements placed on manufacturers in this Regulation;
This is a tricky one, because you intend to sell under your own brand name. IMO, Article 16 applies IF you sell under the manufacturer brand name, and you only label yourself as the importer.

This is a tricky one, because you intend to sell under your own brand name. IMO, Article 16 applies IF you sell under the manufacturer brand name, and you only label yourself as the importer.
I don't think this art 16(1a) speaks of it.
Importer don't need an agreement with the Manufacturer to mark yourself as an importer on the product. Acturally it is the importer's obligation to label oneself on the device acording 14(3):

3.Importers shall indicate on the device or on its packaging or in a document accompanying the device their name, registered trade name or registered trade mark, their registered place of business and the address at which they can be contacted, so that their location can be established. They shall ensure that any additional label does not obscure any information on the label provided by the manufacturer.

Cybel

Involved In Discussions

I think it applies.

I’m comparing your situation to mine.
Consider that we are EU manufacturer, so we don't have importers but we have distributors; however, I think that the situation is similar, for what may concern this issue in particular: we = the Authorized Representative of your Chinese manufacturer and you = our distributor.

We sell the device under our brand, but in some cases distributors want to market the device under their own brand, like you want to do. In this case, in order to do this, I need to apply with my NB to extend my CE certificate to the new brand: this is the result of the "agreement with a manufacturer whereby the manufacturer is identified as such on the label and is responsible for meeting the requirements placed on manufacturers in this Regulation"

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
My MDR certificate includes a table where, for each model, it is indicated the trade name(s) and the trade mark(s), which can be the trademark of manufacturer or other trademark.

I think it applies.

I’m comparing your situation to mine.
Consider that we are EU manufacturer, so we don't have importers but we have distributors; however, I think that the situation is similar, for what may concern this issue in particular: we = the Authorized Representative of your Chinese manufacturer and you = our distributor.
Yes, it's a similar case! Fortunately in our case Notify Body isn't involved.

So Cybel, (or anyone else). Please, can you answer to my questions from the first post? How you and your distributors solve these issues?

This is a bit tricky as there might be problems during importing into the EU. For re-export, do not see a problem.
Why do you think there might be problem during importing into the EU?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S New to Repackaging/Relabeling! 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Design Control for Relabeling and Repackaging 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
B Should I Request/Submit a PPAP from/to a Supplier/Customer for only Repackaging Parts APQP and PPAP 7
M When is control plan required? Remanufacturing and Repackaging Company FMEA and Control Plans 5
G MDR Translation Requirements in Member States EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J NMPA translation requirements? China Medical Device Regulations 3
M EU MDR language-Translation requiremens CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
E Translation requirement labels EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
V Medical Device Literature Translation Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Scope for ISO 13485 Certification of a Translation Service Provider ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
P EU MDR Translation of Product Name EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G MDR translation requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Software Interface Translation IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P IFU Translation Requirements for EU EU Medical Device Regulations 2
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 10
T Translation of IFUs and software by Distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L I'm looking for Translation Procedure Guide MEDDEV 2.5/5 Rev.2 (NOT Rev.3) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Translation requirements for marketing materials Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J Malaysia - Full Labelling Local Language Translation Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
P Label Translations - Translation procedure to meet the requirements of MEDDEV 2.5/5 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Controls for Suppliers of Translation Services - Receiving and Verification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
J Where to buy English translation of Chinese Standard GB/T 14233 China Medical Device Regulations 8
B ISO 17100 (Requirements for Translation Services) International Translations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
J Label translation requirements for EU (European Union) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Where can I Get a Spanish Translation of TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Jim Wynne GD&T Symbols: Lost in Translation Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
R Labeling, translation requirements including software interface: EU & other markets EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T MDD Software Interface Translation Regulations for the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Language Translation Requirements for IVD's on the EU Market ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Implementing a Translation Process for accompanying documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Medical Device IFU (Instructions for Use) Translation Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Translation SOP for Medical Device Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
R EU-countries which don't accept English user manuals and require national translation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
D Translation Procedure (to other European languages) for Class IIa in Technical File CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 16
G Technical Bulletin - EU Translation Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A Is Translation into English required for Clinical Reports? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P Medical Device Language Translation Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 9
J Requirements for marketing collateral translation into local languages in Europe? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Class II Medical Devices - EMC Table - Language Translation Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
J Language Translation Requirements for Software Interface in EU Countries EU Medical Device Regulations 10
B Who is responsible for Translation Compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Translation Requirements on Medical Device Packaging Labels ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G Medical Device Software Translation Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
S Class I Medical Device GUI (Graphic User Interface) EU Translation Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Do the countries listed require native translation for Medical Devices labels Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
E Addition of French Language (translation) - New 510(k) required? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
E Quality System Document Translation Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5