Repairing Mitutoyo Digital Micrometers

Steve-S63

Starting to get Involved
Hello,
I calibrate the threaded ring gages, calipers, micrometers etc in an in house lab at a fastener manufacturer. I've been searching the web, unsuccessfully, for information on fixing Mitutoyo digital micrometers. This particular one is a 0-1" pitch mic, 326-351, that had a broken crystal and was filled with coolant. I have cleaned these out before with varying results. This one will not increment the readout at all. It remains at 0.00000. I've tried removing the encoder disks and cleaning them, with isopropanol, thinking the coolant was preventing them from conducting/communicating with each other. Still no joy. I would like to find a way to fix these internally as they get bathed in coolant quite regularly here.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I could not find one that seemed more appropriate.

Steve

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulJSmith

Hi, Steve, and welcome to The Cove!

You say this happens quite regularly. What are you spending in time and materials to repair these regularly versus just buying new ones?

Maybe examine two alternatives:
1) Find a micrometer that is sealed and resists the incursion of the coolant, or
2) Re-evaluate the processes that are exposing these delicate instruments to such abuse, and find a way to avoid it in the first place.

Steve-S63

Starting to get Involved
This one got dropped and the crystal broken with a piece missing. I have tried to impress upon them that 'coolant proof' and even 'IP65' do not mean the coolant will not harm and or destroy them to no avail. We make parts on demand so it's accepted that there will be higher than usual fall out of the gaging. I can change neither of these unfortunately.

Steve

drobbins329

Starting to get Involved
Have you tried making sure under the buttons is clean? Also, the traces on the board in relation to the buttons? I had a similar issue where the display would not change. It happened that one of the buttons had dried coolant under it, acting like the button was being held down. The delicate traces on the board also have to be clean. Maybe on yours its the zero or preset button? Does it move through the different "modes" as expected?

Steve-S63

Starting to get Involved
I cleaned it extensively, cleaned each button and the circuit board even removed the spindle to clean the rotary and encoder boards. It's out for repair at this time so we'll see what they say. Thanks for your response.

drobbins329

Starting to get Involved
Curious to hear what the problem is. I have a few with the same electronics. It would be good to know in the future.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Eredhel

Quality Manager
This may not help for what you're trying to do now but I learned something else recently. I've never had luck finding parts for different minor fixes we've needed over the years, whether it's a new housing for some calipers or whatever. Then I discovered that companies like Starrett and some others have deals with suppliers that aren't put out on their catalogs, online or otherwise. We've now been able to order lots of different pieces through suppliers we order other things from direct from the tool companies themselves.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Labeling requirements for Servicing and Repairing Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Does anyone know anything about the Mitutoyo MACH V CMM? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Mitutoyo SJ210 Settings - Is there an Industry Standard Surface Measurement Setting? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Q Mitutoyo USB Cables for Variables Data Collection using a Dial Snap Gage Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
B Mitutoyo or SPI Bore Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
B AGW file format / Syntax for Mitutoyo CMM machine Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
J Manual for Mitutoyo Surftest 401 Profilometer wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Gage Blocks for a Mitutoyo Height Master 515-310 HM-12 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S 8 micro inch reference specimen required - I have a Mitutoyo SV-622 profilometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Book / Tutorial written by a third party for Mitutoyo MCOSMOS software Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
Jerry Eldred Calibrating Mitutoyo SJ-201P Surface Roughness Testers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D GRR (Gage R&R) procedure for Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Q Geomeasure CMM + Mitutoyo Bright-A910 CMM: Using a SCR200 Tool Changer Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
Q Old machine (Mitutoyo Qualimate DL-500) for SPC - Is it Worth the effort? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
P Mitutoyo Ban on Selling Repair/Spare Parts Product to US World News 15
B Class X & Class XX Master Ring Gauge Verification using a Mitutoyo Legex 707 CMM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Mitutoyo F805 CMM issues - Runs on GEOPack 200 software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Reading Gauge Output Into Excel .xls - Mitutoyo digital plunger type depth gauges Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
S Need help purchasing a Digital Borematic gage (Mitutoyo was suggested) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
J Gage R&R Software - Does anyone have experience using Mitutoyo's "MeasurLink"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Integrity of electronic digital records - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C Teaching Metrology - Vernier vs Digital General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Informational TGA presentation: Digital Devices Webinar 3, 20 June 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Digital Health Update: Mid-Year Update on Software Precertification Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA – Digital Health Update: The FDA Announces an Opportunity for Test Case Volunteers for the Test Plan for the Software Precertification Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational COCIR paper – Advancing Cybersecurity Of Health And Digital Technologies Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P How to Calibrate a HP 3458A Digital Multimeter with Fluke 5080A calibrator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Digital user manuals CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M FDA News USFDA Digital Health Update – New actions and documents Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Webinar: The role of the TGA in digital health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News Digital Health Update: USFDA Report on Non-Device Software Functions Now Available Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D How to Calibrate any Digital Sphygmomanometer under use for 2 years in a Hospital Forum News and General Information 1
M Medical Device News FDA News - 13-09-18 - FDA works w/ tech industry to promote digital health innovation Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Kanomax MODEL 3443 DIGITAL DUST MONITOR Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
D AMS 2750E - Digital Instrument Calibration Accuracy Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K 21 CFR Part 11 (and EU) compliant Digital Signatures on a Production Line Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
N Digital vs Dial Caliper Comparison Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
rob73 Digital DMF (Device Master File) Records EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Automated calibration of Digital Multimeter without communication port Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Ajit Basrur Do you use Digital Pen or Digital Highlighter during audits? General Auditing Discussions 6
D Hand-held Digital Tension Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Digital Autoclave Accuracy Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Do I need to perform Gage R&R on a Digital Temperature & Humidity Gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
R Digital Storage of ITAR Controlled Documentation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
B Digital Signature Solutions acceptable to use in an FDA Medical Device Environment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4