Repairing Mitutoyo Digital Micrometers

S

Steve-S63

Hello,
I calibrate the threaded ring gages, calipers, micrometers etc in an in house lab at a fastener manufacturer. I've been searching the web, unsuccessfully, for information on fixing Mitutoyo digital micrometers. This particular one is a 0-1" pitch mic, 326-351, that had a broken crystal and was filled with coolant. I have cleaned these out before with varying results. This one will not increment the readout at all. It remains at 0.00000. I've tried removing the encoder disks and cleaning them, with isopropanol, thinking the coolant was preventing them from conducting/communicating with each other. Still no joy. I would like to find a way to fix these internally as they get bathed in coolant quite regularly here.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I could not find one that seemed more appropriate.

Steve

P

PaulJSmith

Hi, Steve, and welcome to The Cove!

You say this happens quite regularly. What are you spending in time and materials to repair these regularly versus just buying new ones?

Maybe examine two alternatives:
1) Find a micrometer that is sealed and resists the incursion of the coolant, or
2) Re-evaluate the processes that are exposing these delicate instruments to such abuse, and find a way to avoid it in the first place.

S

Steve-S63

This one got dropped and the crystal broken with a piece missing. I have tried to impress upon them that 'coolant proof' and even 'IP65' do not mean the coolant will not harm and or destroy them to no avail. We make parts on demand so it's accepted that there will be higher than usual fall out of the gaging. I can change neither of these unfortunately.

Steve

D

drobbins329

Have you tried making sure under the buttons is clean? Also, the traces on the board in relation to the buttons? I had a similar issue where the display would not change. It happened that one of the buttons had dried coolant under it, acting like the button was being held down. The delicate traces on the board also have to be clean. Maybe on yours its the zero or preset button? Does it move through the different "modes" as expected?

S

Steve-S63

I cleaned it extensively, cleaned each button and the circuit board even removed the spindle to clean the rotary and encoder boards. It's out for repair at this time so we'll see what they say. Thanks for your response.

D

drobbins329

Curious to hear what the problem is. I have a few with the same electronics. It would be good to know in the future.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

N

ncwalker

Analog mics with the vernier scale on the barrel are coolant proof ....

Just sayin'

:)

Eredhel

Quality Manager
This may not help for what you're trying to do now but I learned something else recently. I've never had luck finding parts for different minor fixes we've needed over the years, whether it's a new housing for some calipers or whatever. Then I discovered that companies like Starrett and some others have deals with suppliers that aren't put out on their catalogs, online or otherwise. We've now been able to order lots of different pieces through suppliers we order other things from direct from the tool companies themselves.

Top Bottom