Repeatability after CMM repair work

K

Kevin

Currently my company will perform a huge R&R study after repair work to a CMM. This is very time and money consuming. We would like to go to a shortened "repeatablility" test just to verify that the repairs did not affect measurment of product. Any suggestions on sample size, trials, acceptance criteria, or if this is even close to being the "right" thing to do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Does your repair company also calibrate the CMM after the repair? If so I don't think a gage R&R would be required as long as it was "in calibration" at the time of repair. Was it a repair that affected the dimensional stability of the gage or maybe some other type of repair?

ASD...

S

Steven Truchon

Ihas been a number of years since I have dealt with a CMM. When I last did though, if it was an automated system, I would run a ball-bar test 3 to 5 times to determine volumetric accuracy and repeatability. If the results were too varied I would go to a sample of 10 and note any and all variables present and examine for any trends.
If it was a manual system, then a 3 axis linear test covering the measurement range at 1 inch graduations 3 to 5 times was usually sufficient.
I always did this to satisfy my own sense of confidence in the calibration regardless of the documented results I was given.
This has always given me the data I needed to satisfy my functional and system requirements at the time. Would that hold up today? I dunno, but it worked well.

Im curious to read any more posts on this.

Oh yeah, my tests always took less than two hours for the most part, so it wasnt a resource drain at all.

[This message has been edited by Steven Truchon (edited 05 April 2001).]

O

oduman

In my factory we use MSA/Type I/Repeatability test(Cg≥1.33). 50 measurements on a part for eachone: hole&linear measurement(distance)&cutting surface.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R How to Determine CMM Gage R&R - Accuracy, Repeatability, Reproducibility? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Gage R&R - Repeatability and Reproducibility of a newly bought CMM machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S "X-MR charts do not separate piece-to-piece repeatability of the process" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Repeatability issue in Gage R&R study for inner diameter of a bushing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
B How to Demonstrate Stability and Repeatability in very Short Run Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
R Repeatability in MSA - Is repeatability a measure of Location Error Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Method Repeatability for MU (Measurement Uncertainty) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
K Wilson Hardness Tester Model 525 Accuracy/Repeatability issues help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Repeatability vs. Instrument Specifications Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
J Repeatability Standard Deviation Formula in MSA 4th Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Jerry Eldred New ILAC Requirements Regarding Repeatability - Your thoughts on this please Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
T Value of K1, K2, K3 in GR&R - I want to measure Repeatability and Reproducibility Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C How to use GR&R for Machine Repeatability Study when there are no specs? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Weld Cell Repeatability Studies - Origin - The 'drilled hole panel' Methodology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Minitab Type 1 Repeatability & GRR% of Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Gage Repeatability for an Automated Leak Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
S Weight Scale Gage R&R (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U Gauge repeatability and reproducibility (Gage R&R) worksheets Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M Determining Repeatability without Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
D Gage R&R Repeatability - How do I know my gauge is in specification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Gage Reproducibility & Repeatability for POKA-YOKE (pass/fail) gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) using Minitab 14 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
U Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) Understanding for the Layperson Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Repeatability for an Electrical Screwdriver Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
F How would you Verify Repeatability and Reproducibility of Measurement Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Operator Capability - Gage R&R Poor Repeatability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J Measuring Tape Repeatability and Accuracy - Types of tapes - ECIII, ECII and ECI Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Gage repeatability and reproducibility - GRP% Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R MSA Attribute gage repeatability and reproducibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Y Product Stability (Machine Capability) vs. Equipment Repeatability (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N Repeatability Variation and Constant d2* - What is d2* and how is it calculated? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Dummies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 67
P Gage Repeatability (1x1x10) form - 1 part measured 10 times by 1 appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
P Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability): What are the calculation restrictions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Determining Gauge R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Interval Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Automated Testing Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Issues Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Courier Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) - Automotive Requirements Basics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Study with one appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J What is an acceptable Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability) system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Bias, Stability and Repeatability - What is an acceptable percent % ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability) - Tolerance vs. Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
R Gauge Repeatability and Reproducibility (Gage R&R) on all shop floor gages? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Honeywell CMM's - Why Honeywell will no longer sell their manuals Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2