Repeatability issue in Gage R&R study for inner diameter of a bushing

mstfbakr

Starting to get Involved
Dear cove members,

Sorry for my baby english and i kindly request your valuable comments for

My company has a discussion with supplier regarding a gage issue.

this supplier provides us bushings. Tolerance is 0,009 µm. As a customer, we request from them to control this feature with a inner diameter micrometers has a resolution 0,001 µm.

To be honest this gage does not comply with 1/10 rule.

Supplier offers to use go/no gage and has studied a Gage R&R study to proof us inside diameter micrometer is not capable to measure this feature. Please find attached screen shots for R&R study results.

There is template spreadsheet that we received from supplier and with same measurements our minitab analysis.

Is there anything wrong with supplier measurements. don't randomized parts or same readings for same parts from all operators like etc.

Reproducebility is ok but repeatability is not ok. What does it means.

Operator's skill, training are ok to use tihs gage or measure this part ?
Or they saw previous operator measurement result.

repeatability is not ok means that there is a big variation within choosed samples or process does not under control.

NDC result is 0. Is micrometer not capable to measure 0,009 tolerance ?
If a not good result added to this results NDC becomes greater then 5.

Please advice

Best Regards,

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I would add that your repeatability is very poor and so you can make NO conclusions about the reproducibility. although the spreadsheet will calculate a number for you it is essentially meaningless until you get a decent repeatability.

looking at the Range chart operator 3 appears to have less repeatability error than the other two operators.
also the maximum range for both operator 1 and operator 2 is close to your tolerance (,0009)

Since this is a diameter measurement, I'm going to suggest that you investigate the possibility that this is really within piece variation: you may have an oval tube instead of a round one. so the first measurement is of the smaller diameter, then the next one is in a different location around the diameter - a slightly larger dimension...try marking the tube(s) and measuring the same location multiple times...

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Since this gage is used solely for inspection, the metric to use is % Tolerance. Ignore %Study Variation, %Process Variation and ndc as they are irrelevant for an inspection-only device.

BevD's comments are right on target. Since the resolution of the gage appears to be adequate, I would start by investigating the possibility of Within-part Variation (WIV). This MSA blog entry discusses how to assess the impact of WIV.

After you have made a determination of the impact of WIV, update us on your progress and we can advise further.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Since this gage is used solely for inspection, the metric to use is % Tolerance. Ignore %Study Variation, %Process Variation and ndc as they are irrelevant for an inspection-only device.

BevD's comments are right on target. Since the resolution of the gage appears to be adequate, I would start by investigating the possibility of Within-part Variation (WIV). This MSA blog entry discusses how to assess the impact of WIV.

After you have made a determination of the impact of WIV, update us on your progress and we can advise further.

If it is a machined ID, I would be hard pressed to suspect within part variation (unless the machine is completely fubar). Worth checking. We do stamped parts and variation is a major issue for our measuring capabilities.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
If it is a machined ID, I would be hard pressed to suspect within part variation (unless the machine is completely fubar). Worth checking. We do stamped parts and variation is a major issue for our measuring capabilities.
All features of size display some degree of variation in form. While machined holes may have less, they also have tighter tolerances, so the variation, though small, may consume a lot of the tolerance.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
in addition, I've seen machined dimensions exhibit relatively large within piece variation due to fixturing problems. Every technology has it's own sources of variation that the technology promoter overlooks and/or trivializes. :cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S "X-MR charts do not separate piece-to-piece repeatability of the process" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B How to Demonstrate Stability and Repeatability in very Short Run Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R Repeatability in MSA - Is repeatability a measure of Location Error Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Method Repeatability for MU (Measurement Uncertainty) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
K Wilson Hardness Tester Model 525 Accuracy/Repeatability issues help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Repeatability vs. Instrument Specifications Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
J Repeatability Standard Deviation Formula in MSA 4th Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Jerry Eldred New ILAC Requirements Regarding Repeatability - Your thoughts on this please Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
T Value of K1, K2, K3 in GR&R - I want to measure Repeatability and Reproducibility Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C How to use GR&R for Machine Repeatability Study when there are no specs? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Weld Cell Repeatability Studies - Origin - The 'drilled hole panel' Methodology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Minitab Type 1 Repeatability & GRR% of Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Gage Repeatability for an Automated Leak Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
S Weight Scale Gage R&R (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U Gauge repeatability and reproducibility (Gage R&R) worksheets Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M Determining Repeatability without Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
D Gage R&R Repeatability - How do I know my gauge is in specification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Gage Reproducibility & Repeatability for POKA-YOKE (pass/fail) gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) using Minitab 14 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
U Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) Understanding for the Layperson Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Repeatability for an Electrical Screwdriver Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
F How would you Verify Repeatability and Reproducibility of Measurement Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Operator Capability - Gage R&R Poor Repeatability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J Measuring Tape Repeatability and Accuracy - Types of tapes - ECIII, ECII and ECI Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Gage repeatability and reproducibility - GRP% Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R MSA Attribute gage repeatability and reproducibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R How to Determine CMM Gage R&R - Accuracy, Repeatability, Reproducibility? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Y Product Stability (Machine Capability) vs. Equipment Repeatability (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N Repeatability Variation and Constant d2* - What is d2* and how is it calculated? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Gage R&R - Repeatability and Reproducibility of a newly bought CMM machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Dummies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 67
P Gage Repeatability (1x1x10) form - 1 part measured 10 times by 1 appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
P Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability): What are the calculation restrictions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Determining Gauge R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Interval Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Automated Testing Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Issues Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Courier Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) - Automotive Requirements Basics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Study with one appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Repeatability after CMM repair work Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J What is an acceptable Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability) system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Bias, Stability and Repeatability - What is an acceptable percent % ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability) - Tolerance vs. Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
R Gauge Repeatability and Reproducibility (Gage R&R) on all shop floor gages? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
R Problem solving activity - Three hours to fix the issue Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Marc Fuel tank issue (FOD) hits Boeing’s 737 MAX - Feb 2020 World News 16
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15