SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Repeatability vs. Instrument Specifications

B

brianpbg

I use specifications for a measuring instruments as a Type-B standard uncertainties in uncertainty calculations per GUM.

Some external standards (such as ISO 17025 via A2LA) seem to require specific values for repeatability as Type-A standard uncertainties.

I feel that the repeatability of the measuring instruments is already captured in their specifications. If I determined their repeatability and included it in my calculation I feel I would be double-counting their repeatability. I'd rather not have to increase my uncertainties to explicitely accomodate repeatability, but that seems to be the mandate.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Brian

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

dv8shane

Re: Repeatabily vs. Instrument Specifications

I use specifications for a measuring instruments as a Type-B standard uncertainties in uncertainty calculations per GUM.

Some external standards (such as ISO 17025 via A2LA) seem to require specific values for repeatability as Type-A standard uncertainties.

I feel that the repeatability of the measuring instruments is already captured in their specifications. If I determined their repeatability and included it in my calculation I feel I would be double-counting their repeatability. I'd rather not have to increase my uncertainties to explicitely accomodate repeatability, but that seems to be the mandate.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Brian
Yes you are missing the point that repeatability and reproducibility are both contributors to over all uncertainty. You take the same measurement 20 times the odds are there will be variation this has nothing to do with specification. Uncertainty includes everything in the measurement system including the ability of the UUT to reproduce the same result consistently

N

NumberCruncher

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian

It's well known that the dwarfs made Thor's hammer Mjollnir, which was a little short in the handle. What is less well known is the dwarfs also made a micrometer for Thor (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger). This micrometer was of equal quality to the hammer and always returned to zero after use (although it was not much use for killing giants, which is why you don't hear much about it).

But the micrometer also had a systematic error. The screw thread pitch was slightly out, so that it always measured 10 microns too big. (The dwarfs were very far sighted by the way, which is why they used metric units over 1000 years before they were invented). The dwarfs were also scared of Thor, so whilst they didn't know exactly what the systematic error was, they included an uncertainty statement which said that the uncertainty in the measurement was +/- 10 microns.

When Thor received the micrometer from Loki (played by Danny DeVito), Thor was suspicious of its accuracy. But since Thor was not too good at statistics, he got Loki to carry out a repeatability study. Loki measured five gauge blocks, twenty times each and estimated the type A uncertainty as +/- 1 micron. When Loki told Thor of the error, Thor was very pleased. "I am making precision pistons for my father's toy train set. They must be correct to the nearest micron or they will not fit. This is perfect!"

However, Loki was deceitful. He had deliberately ignored the 10 micron uncertainty statement given by the dwarfs. "It doesn't matter." he said, "Every measurement will have the same instrument error, so I don't need to include the dwarf's uncertainty statement in my calculations".

After Thor had made the pistons, he gave them to his father Odin (played by Samuel L Jackson) who was initially delighted. "At last I will be able to complete my model of 'The Mallard' ".

But when Odin tried to fit the pistons into the piston rings, they were too loose! Steam would escape from the seals and the train would not work. He demanded to know what had happened, so he ordered his first wife, Frigg, (played by Jessica Alba) to investigate what had happened.

Frigg compiled a report which concluded with the following statement. "Loki failed to take into account the manufacturer's uncertainty in his calculation. He correctly calculated the error due to repeatability, but failed to understand that systematic error is not corrected by repeated measurements"

This, by the way, is the real reason why Loki was bound and left in a cave until the day of Ragnarok. The death of Balder was just an excuse, Odin was actually angry about his toy train.

NC

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brianpbg

Yes you are missing the point that repeatability and reproducibility are both contributors to over all uncertainty. You take the same measurement 20 times the odds are there will be variation this has nothing to do with specification. Uncertainty includes everything in the measurement system including the ability of the UUT to reproduce the same result consistently
I'm not sure where on the same page.

I tried to be clear that I felt the instrument specification already included repeatability. Since I'd included the instrument specification as a Type-B uncertainty, repeatability would be captured in that term. If it's already captured, there's no reason to count it again.

Now, I notice that you say repeatability has nothing to do with specification. I don't understand what you mean, so that may be where the disconnect lies.

Brian

B

brianpbg

Hi Brian

It's well known that the dwarfs made Thor's hammer Mjollnir, which was a little short in the handle. What is less well known is the dwarfs also made a micrometer for Thor (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger). This micrometer was of equal quality to the hammer and always returned to zero after use (although it was not much use for killing giants, which is why you don't hear much about it).

But the micrometer also had a systematic error. The screw thread pitch was slightly out, so that it always measured 10 microns too big. (The dwarfs were very far sighted by the way, which is why they used metric units over 1000 years before they were invented). The dwarfs were also scared of Thor, so whilst they didn't know exactly what the systematic error was, they included an uncertainty statement which said that the uncertainty in the measurement was +/- 10 microns.

When Thor received the micrometer from Loki (played by Danny DeVito), Thor was suspicious of its accuracy. But since Thor was not too good at statistics, he got Loki to carry out a repeatability study. Loki measured five gauge blocks, twenty times each and estimated the type A uncertainty as +/- 1 micron. When Loki told Thor of the error, Thor was very pleased. "I am making precision pistons for my father's toy train set. They must be correct to the nearest micron or they will not fit. This is perfect!"

However, Loki was deceitful. He had deliberately ignored the 10 micron uncertainty statement given by the dwarfs. "It doesn't matter." he said, "Every measurement will have the same instrument error, so I don't need to include the dwarf's uncertainty statement in my calculations".

After Thor had made the pistons, he gave them to his father Odin (played by Samuel L Jackson) who was initially delighted. "At last I will be able to complete my model of 'The Mallard' ".

But when Odin tried to fit the pistons into the piston rings, they were too loose! Steam would escape from the seals and the train would not work. He demanded to know what had happened, so he ordered his first wife, Frigg, (played by Jessica Alba) to investigate what had happened.

Frigg compiled a report which concluded with the following statement. "Loki failed to take into account the manufacturer's uncertainty in his calculation. He correctly calculated the error due to repeatability, but failed to understand that systematic error is not corrected by repeated measurements"

This, by the way, is the real reason why Loki was bound and left in a cave until the day of Ragnarok. The death of Balder was just an excuse, Odin was actually angry about his toy train.

NC
Yes, I've had people say things that imply a perspective that uncertainty is completely defined by Type-A terms. Of course, if that were the case things would be amazingly simple! No GUM, do discussion here. Just run the experiment a bunch of times, get the standard deviation and the uncertainty analysis is complete!

A little twist to this is that the GUM procedure implies determining all the sources of repeatability separately, then folding them in to the measurement equation as Type-A uncertainties. This precludes the sort of simple repeatability test implied by A2LA because that test can't separate out and quantify the various sources of repetability.

Brian .

D

dv8shane

I'm not sure where on the same page.

Now, I notice that you say repeatability has nothing to do with specification. I don't understand what you mean, so that may be where the disconnect lies.

Brian
Try this, the accuracy specification says the value should be within X tolerance relative to the calibration standard nominal. Now the actual value you measure can still vary within the specification, and remember you are only reporting one number with ± Y uncertainty. For simple items like a Fluke meter it is a small contributor. Now picture a spectrum analyzer calibration. Multiple instruments with connector/connection repeatability issues repeatability of all the instruments involved, all combined in one measurement system. Say the power meter drifts a couple digits right after you take the measurement, and record the result. Instead of rewriting the number what you do is account for the fact the number is going to change, you do not keep changing what you record

N

NumberCruncher

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian

In answer to your question about double counting of uncertainty please refer to the following.

JCGM 100:2008
GUM 1995 with minor corrections

"4.3.10 It is important not to “double-count” uncertainty components. If a component of uncertainty arising from a particular effect is obtained from a Type B evaluation, it should be included as an independent component of uncertainty in the calculation of the combined standard uncertainty of the measurement result only to the extent that the effect does not contribute to the observed variability of the observations. This is because the uncertainty due to that portion of the effect that contributes to the observed variability is already included in the component of uncertainty obtained from the statistical analysis of the observations."

You haven't mentioned what you are measuring. For concreteness I will take the simple example of weighing.

You have several sources of error, mechanical repeatability, buoyancy due to air pressure, and I expect more that I haven't thought of. Most of these uncertainties can be combined into a type A uncertainty by repeated weighing of standard lab weights.

However, the lab weights constitute a type B uncertainty. Suppose the the weighs are only verified to +/-1 mg (yes, very poor, but bear with me).

Now, each of your weighs constitutes a systematic error in your measurements. The 1g weight is actually 1.001g (you don't know this). All you know is that when you measure the 1g weight, you get an average of 1.000g. Unfortunately, the actual reading you should be getting is 1.001g. You can't possibly know this. All you know is that, from the certificate, the weight could be anywhere between 0.999g and 1.001g.

All you can do is include the quoted uncertainty from the certificate as a type B estimate in the final uncertainty budget.

I agree with you. Calculating the repeatability from actual measurements, then including the manufacturer's quoted uncertainty would be a case of double counting.

You will need to decide for yourself where the systematic errors arise.

NC

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Best way to calc uncert for measuring microscope without duplicating repeatability? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Clinical accuracy and repeatability of IR(infrared) thermometer, no maximum error criteria is recommended in ISO Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S "X-MR charts do not separate piece-to-piece repeatability of the process" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Repeatability issue in Gage R&R study for inner diameter of a bushing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
B How to Demonstrate Stability and Repeatability in very Short Run Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R Repeatability in MSA - Is repeatability a measure of Location Error Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Method Repeatability for MU (Measurement Uncertainty) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
K Wilson Hardness Tester Model 525 Accuracy/Repeatability issues help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Repeatability Standard Deviation Formula in MSA 4th Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Jerry Eldred New ILAC Requirements Regarding Repeatability - Your thoughts on this please Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
T Value of K1, K2, K3 in GR&R - I want to measure Repeatability and Reproducibility Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C How to use GR&R for Machine Repeatability Study when there are no specs? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Weld Cell Repeatability Studies - Origin - The 'drilled hole panel' Methodology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Minitab Type 1 Repeatability & GRR% of Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Gage Repeatability for an Automated Leak Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
S Weight Scale Gage R&R (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U Gauge repeatability and reproducibility (Gage R&R) worksheets Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M Determining Repeatability without Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
D Gage R&R Repeatability - How do I know my gauge is in specification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Gage Reproducibility & Repeatability for POKA-YOKE (pass/fail) gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) using Minitab 14 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
U Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) Understanding for the Layperson Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Repeatability for an Electrical Screwdriver Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
F How would you Verify Repeatability and Reproducibility of Measurement Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Operator Capability - Gage R&R Poor Repeatability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J Measuring Tape Repeatability and Accuracy - Types of tapes - ECIII, ECII and ECI Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Gage repeatability and reproducibility - GRP% Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R MSA Attribute gage repeatability and reproducibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R How to Determine CMM Gage R&R - Accuracy, Repeatability, Reproducibility? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Y Product Stability (Machine Capability) vs. Equipment Repeatability (Gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N Repeatability Variation and Constant d2* - What is d2* and how is it calculated? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Gage R&R - Repeatability and Reproducibility of a newly bought CMM machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Dummies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 67
P Gage Repeatability (1x1x10) form - 1 part measured 10 times by 1 appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
P Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability): What are the calculation restrictions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Determining Gauge R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Interval Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Automated Testing Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Issues Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Courier Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) - Automotive Requirements Basics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Study with one appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Repeatability after CMM repair work Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J What is an acceptable Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability) system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Bias, Stability and Repeatability - What is an acceptable percent % ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducability) - Tolerance vs. Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
R Gauge Repeatability and Reproducibility (Gage R&R) on all shop floor gages? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
H California Instrument AC Load - 222 Error Message Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
N 60601-2-2 Ed 6 Clause 201.8.8.3.102 - HF instrument leakage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0