Replacement of SAC305 Solder for SN100C Lead Free Solder?

LesPiles

Involved In Discussions
We are an EMS.

Production desires to change the solder paste for the back end (touch up) and go from SAC 305 to SN100C. Their arguments are:

• Much less expensive.
• Dwell is greater,.
• Less flux deposits.
• The resin does not change color.
• Welding is brighter.
• Same tin as for the wave process.
• We use less liquid flux and paste, causes a reduction in wash operations.
• The production staff much prefers working with the SN100C than SAC305.

These arguments are not supported by documented experiences.

Fifty percent of our production is for critical products (utilities, medical). The other half of our production is for various other clients.

What should we do? They ask our department (Quality Dpt.) to comment on this.

The opinion of my boss is not to change for homologated products (PPAP, etc.), and for others we could use their suggestion.

I’m personally not very much in favor of deploying two types of pasted to the back end because of other problems that this can result.

What would you do at my place?

Regards

LesPiles

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Hi Les. Sorry no one has replied. I'm not sure if we have any solder experts here. I will say I agree that two different methods for different types of customers is a gaping opportunity for error.

A quick "Bump". My Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Juby Tan Action on Customer Replacement (Nonconforming Product - ISO 9001) Customer Complaints 2
C Serialised Defective Part Replacement EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Distributing Replacement Parts for Class II Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
L Balls drawn without replacement probability question Brain Teasers and Puzzles 8
Q Spare Parts - Sourcing a small replacement part Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B What is the FDA guidance regarding selling replacement parts and traceability? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Identification and labeling medical device replacement system components Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 12
Marc CBS Taps the Real Stephen Colbert as Letterman's Replacement After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
B Replacement anvils for Helios UMG 50 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Does TS 16949 audit replacement parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Tesa-hite 350 Gage Display Replacement Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 10
Marc Cataract Replacement Lenses and Surgery Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
A Tool Wear Rate/Replacement - Turning/Facing Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
1 Quality VP/Manager left - Educating his replacement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
R MIL-STD-120 replacement? Calibration Work Instructions refer to MIL-STD-120 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K Organization's Rights vs. Customer's Rights - Product Return vs. Replacement Customer Complaints 13
F Measuring Ceramic Tubes & Discs - any suggestions for replacement of calipers? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q Scrap + Replacement always? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J "Gaging" the performance of a replacement gauge Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Partial Joint (Hip Prosthesis) Replacement Class inquiry EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Why should we never re-use an identification number for a replacement M&TE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Icy Mountain TS 16949 Requirement for New MSA for Identical Replacement Part Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
S 5 Ton Water Cooled Chiller for Thermotron Need Replacement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
G Document replacement - How would you migrate the old to the new? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Marc If GM and/or Chrysler go under... What about replacement parts and dealerships Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
SteveK Rechargeable NiMH Battery Life in Medical Devices - Replacement Intervals Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
L CE marking on medical device components/replacement parts EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Tyco TMS 2000Plus Replacement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Design Validation of class 2 medical device - Vertebral Body Replacement Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
Marc Vinyl Replacement Windows - 'Weeping' condensation at Glass / Vinyl Interface After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
ScottK Quality Manual Replacement Action Plan from EU Pressure Equipment Directive Compliant Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
W PPAP Submission Items - Metal Stamping - Tooling Transfer, Replacement, Refurbishment APQP and PPAP 6
Marc Bank of America: Train your replacement, or no severance pay for you World News 14
H FDA ASTMF1100 replacement? We want to market an emergency care ventilator ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Automotive Replacement Parts Market QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
C Statistical technique sought for predicting replacement of perishable tooling Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
E Solder thermal profiles for PPAP - Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Solder Pot Standards - Solder Pot Adherence Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
B RoHS Directive 2014/5/EU Leaded Solder Exemption RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
alonFAI Cpk for Solder Paste Height Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Will A Few Failed Solder Joints Make Me RoHS Non Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
P Does lead free solder rust? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
alonFAI SMI (Solder Paste Inspection ) Inline Work Instruction (Procedure) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
somashekar Am I good to claim RoHS for my product? Solder Content RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
AmandaMusser How are Storage Requirements Determined for Epoxy, Paste, Solder, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J MSA For Solder Paste Inspection Machines Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
G How to confirm if the Solder used contains Silver? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7