Replicating Forum Success to Oil & Gas Sector - ISO 29001

D

dinselong

Hi Fellow Covers, :bigwave:
After registering to this forum for a week, I begin to see how far The Cove had developed and how far behind the oil and gas sector is in terms of indepedence, opinions and open forum and contributions are concerned. In my opinion at least. That is why I humbly requested for greater participation and membership from this sector, and possibly thru Marc's help in making it all possible. As Tom Peters put it, "impossible" dreams that become (more than) possible. In another words translate this success into oil & gas sector also, without reinventing the wheels, but just another wheel to drive all of us along. Any supporters?

For a start, can I humbly request for a new forum headings for ISO 29001 stds/Oil & Gas which is most relevant to the oil & gas industry, instead of Other Specs, Stds/requirements? :biglaugh:

By way of introduction, I am involved in all major regional shipyards, beginning as yard representative….. and later as customer representative. To see for myself how a smaller ‘mom & pop’ outfit ticks, I had also worked full time in a newly listed smaller engineering company.

Reportedly having captured 70% of global market share of offshore structures upgrading, conversion and construction projects, I believe the overall local quality standard and culture has gone a long way since. Nonetheless I believe there is still room for improvement, especially with the new notion of being market leader and oppositions of ideas are not a common sight here. :frust:

We need to seriously rethink, before irreparable damage is done, :confused: with the prevalent culture and attitude of quality as just “necessary evil” held by some fabricators, shipyards, customers and accreditation bodies. As is, some customers are doing away with project quality manager/advisor/engineer/supervisor/coordinator and maintain only inspection personnel on sites. As such and at times, Clients’ specifications/directives/requirements /feedback/complaints etc are conveniently ignored by various parties. Correct me here if I am wrong. This just shows how serious the problem has been.

IMHO, due to tight schedule, budget and plain ignorance, quality is becoming the immediate casualty, not to mention mutual goodwill and professionalism of parties involved. The situation does not help with new management practices such as balanced score cards and people developer, clients/3rd party testimonials and certifications etc are all being taken at their face value.

Out of this concern and out of moral responsibility of being a team player, it is my humble hope that we can jointly, locally and globally turn the tide around. Quality, I hope has come a long way beyond accept or reject to one of business and social responsibility and fulfillment. This could only happen with open and wide participation of those of you within the industry. With forums such as Elsmar Cove, there is one less excuse not to share and contribute.

OK, what do you have to offer?

Comparing to most of you guys, I am probably the least informed. This could be due to the environment of business compliance and norm, rather than total management excellence, which I am still seeking, at least in commitment.
So far, I had encouraged as many of those I know to partake in this forum and hopefully they will in turn help to expand participation further. In another words, my contribution would be their participation and feedback, hopefully later with a bit of my moderations.

Additionally, how much have you seen here related to your specific area of expertise?

So far I had seen various topics that could be beneficial, albeit 5% relevance. Not pretending to know the good practices of other industries and the total content of Elsmar Cove, I would like to effectively convey relevant information and problems in easily understood formats. While some say standards are the worst way to do things at this moment, I believe the real time ideas from all around are most effective way forward.

Case in point, while ISO 29001 do provide supplementary requirements and good practices over ISO 9001 for the oil & gas industry, I am confident that there are various good practices and plain common sense we could effectively identify and put to good use. ;)

Your kind prompt and correction is much appreciated.
Especially, let's hear it from the Oil & Gas Sector!
:thanx: especially to Marc Smith and the Volunteers :applause:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
If I see some threads in this forum on gas / oil and ISO 29001 I'll set up a sub-forum. At this point I only see a couple of somewhat related threads so it's hard to justify a new forum right now.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
dinselong

Welcome again to The Cove and kudos on recommending the site for your colleagues. Elsmar Cove would be an excellent site for Oil & Gas Sector management collaboration.

The history of this website is one of organic growth, and Marc has said that he didn't plan for all this, it just developed naturally. That is one of the excellent characteristics of the board.

While many quality tools have broad application, it is true that specific and focussed discussion on trade details makes a big difference in the value of information. Please do not hesitate to participate in the forum, sir. Good background information is the best thing to get the professional folks on this board interested in the discussion.

It is also VERY INTERESTING to read about your work in the Oil & Gas Sector.

--Erik

W

wessamsheta2000

Very Very great Idea

Hello all,

for your information, I am new in this kind of forums and I dicovered it accidently
but honestly and from day one in browsing in it, it is very useful to me in my work despite of most of the info is not specified in the oil and gas sector as I work in.

so of course if such forum be existed, it will be very great idea to share deep technical info with a colleagues in the same field.

bearing in mind that I initiate several threads about some subjects specified in the industry, and the replies was very few

so waiting to hear from you soon

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
wessamsheta2000

I am glad you are enjoying the forum, but sorry to hear that there has been little forum activity around your industry.

I wanted to post because I have noticed something about activity on the website. I have noticed is that Google keeps a close eye on Elsmar Cove. Recent posts on one subject bring interested people in through Google, I think.

I have noticed that new posters will ask questions directly related to questions that have been discussed recently, and I think Google searchers are finding Elsmar Cove a few hours after messages are posted. Either that, or it's quantity.

I'd certainly be interested in discussing issues related to the Oil & Gas Sector or ISO 29001, so don't hesitate to ask more questions! Be sure to watch for activity as discussion about this industry grows on Elsmar Cove.

Sincerely

Top Bottom