SBS - The best value in QMS software

Reporting REACH - Electronic components distributor

SpinDr99

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

I've recently joined a company who sends products to the EU and I'm in need of help regarding REACH. To be more specific, we're a distributor of electronic components and I'm not sure where to begin to determine how what we buy/re-sell has an impact on our customers since I'm sure there are many chemicals involved in their manufacture. After that, I can't find anything which guides me on how to report on REACH. I would greatly appreciate any and all help you can offer.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I'm in need of help regarding REACH. To be more specific, we're a distributor of electronic components
(Disclaimer: I have limited knowledge of REACH.) As a distributor, you will need to place requirements on your upstream suppliers to provide REACH documentation for each component they provide/manufacture. Then, you will pass that information along when you supply a component to your customer (I'm assuming you sell to other businesses and not to consumers). So, in this sense it is similar to collecting and passing along RoHS declarations. As I understand it, for your type of product, the primary concern are SVHCs (substances of very high concern...currently 211 of them):
Candidate List of substances of very high concern for Authorisation - ECHA

Reach Registration - who needs to register?
Registration - ECHA

Start here - Understanding REACH:
Understanding REACH - ECHA
According to this page, you fall into this category:
Companies established outside the EU: If you are a company established outside the EU, you are not bound by the obligations of REACH, even if you export their products into the customs territory of the European Union. The responsibility for fulfilling the requirements of REACH, such as registration lies with the importers established in the European Union, or with the only representative of a non-EU manufacturer established in the European Union.
So, if that is case, your obligations will be to provide the EU-based importer with the substance information (such as SVHCs) that they will need to fulfill their REACH obligations.

All declarations must be made by a legal entity established within the EU/EEA. If you are not one then either your importer needs to be responsible or you need to set up a formal Authorised representative in the EU/EEA to do the work.

Firstly you should be getting declarations from as many of your suppliers as possible as to the REACh status of the parts they sell you. From this you should be able to identify if there is any issue or not.

Generally for a lot of electronics the product is not affected by REACh or if it does include affected parts then you are below the threshold for weight. This typically means the only liability for you under REACh is to make a REACH article 33 declaration for the existence of an article or articles in in the product which are subject to the REACh restrictions. this declaration can be on your website (or a similar location) or supplied with the product.

Things however changed last Christmas with the introduction of SCIP. This now means that for every article you supply your EU/EEA representative must make a declaration on the SCIP database and show not only the product affected but all the sub assemblies and complex articles that might contain the affected article. Note under EU law (and the O5A definition) a brass pin in a trim pot which has lead in it to aid machining is an Article in its own right and will remain one for ever. So technically you have to declare the pin, the trim pot, the PCBA with the pot on it, possibly a sub assembly or two and the finished product. This is much more complex and awkward to do but there are several consultancies out there who can help. SCIP is technically under the waste framework not REACh but applies the same rules.

If you have not already looked into SCIP I suggest you do so a

SpinDr99

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for your very helpful replies. Especially the guidance relative to the REACH article 33 declaration from Cynewulf. I do believe we are well below the weight threshold for reporting. We only sell electronic components and have no sub-assemblies. However, we have no idea what complex articles would have our components. SCIP seems to be a true Pandora's Box. I'll have to dig deeper and seek out a consultant, as this is far beyond my realm of knowledge. I'm open to referrals in the northeast U.S. (is a one-on-one message possible on the Cove?)

There are a number of major players out there for supporting this. A good starting place is to look at the list of companies on the IPC-1752A Verified Solution Providers list on the IPC website as generally you need an FMD to properly understand the information required to upload to SCIP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Off Shore Supplier PCBA REACH Reporting RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
A OQ and reporting issues Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
R Vigilance reporting to the country of the EU authorised representative EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Is it Necessary to Use Health Canada Form when Reporting? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
L Proof of Concept Studies - Do we need to comply with SAE reporting? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Medical device Reporting : Good Faith Effort for Additional information Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L Adverse Event Reporting New Zealand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M Informational New Zealand – Changes to Medical Device Adverse Event Reporting process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Reporting a Change of Contract Manufacturer for a 510(k) cleared device Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
MDD_QNA How to deal with FDA after not reporting anything for several years Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
D Accident reporting categories Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
T Trend Reporting under the EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational TGA – Medical device incident reporting (MDIR) guide Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Postmarketing Safety Reporting for Combination Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational IMDRF proposed document – IMDRF terminologies for categorized Adverse Event Reporting (AER): terms, terminology structure and codes (Edition 4) – Anne Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Health Canada – Mandatory reporting requirements for hospitals Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Statement on agency’s efforts to increase transparency in medical device reporting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Japan's Requirements for Reporting Medical Device Adverse Events Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
T Why do most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
M Informational TGA – Medical device annual reporting – Sponsor obligations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Marc European universities dismal at reporting results of clinical trials - 2019 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
W SOP for Vigilance reporting covering multiple requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M (How To) Getting Data From Vision Machine To Reporting Software Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
F Vigilance Reporting - Requirements for manufacturer Field Corrective Actions (FCAs) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
S Legal Manufacturer FDA Reporting Obligations for Using New Contract Sterilization Site Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Pmarszal ISO 19011:2018 - Risk Based Approach for planning, conducting and reporting of internal audits Internal Auditing 8
J MDR reporting and CAPA thoughts? Classifying Complaints on Risk 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
L Calibration Accuracy In Relation To Reporting General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Adverse Event and Serious Adverse Event Reporting - Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
R Reporting Profile of a surface with U modifier Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Q U.S. Agents - Responsibility for reporting adverse events to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
J Japan AE (Adverse Event) Reporting Requirements Japan Medical Device Regulations 5
S MDS (Material Declaration Sheet) Reporting for Volatile Solvent in oil RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
shimonv Reporting Medical Device Changes with Annex V/VII EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L MDR (Medical Device Reporting) under 21 CFR Part 803 Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Medical Device Reporting In US/ EU/ Canada Customer Complaints 6
N Notification of Changes to a Class I Medical Device - Reporting Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Software for trending and reporting particulate testing Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
P Using Bugzilla as a Quality Reporting Tool Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
JoCam Incident Reporting MHRA (Medical & healthcare regulatory agency) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Reporting Corrective Action System Performance Metrics Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Medical Device Reporting SOP (Standard operating procedure) example Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
V ICH Q3 - To "Include OR Not to Include" impurities below reporting threshold General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A What are the obligatory medical device reporting timelines for AIMD devices ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2