Reporting True Position for PPAP

Kurt Smith

Involved In Discussions
My customer is requesting that the standard dimensional reports for our PPAP include the true position/MMC for a series of holes in a part. They have specified that they will not be satisfied with a pass/fail condition. Instead they want "A full dimensional report of the actual measured result".

I can calculate the position deviation for each hole. But I'm confused as to how to format a report with all of those details. They provided a simple word document to fill with the dimension callouts and results. But I am unsure how to record that information in such a simple format.

I have access to a cmm arm. But it is a new tool for us, and I haven't learned it fully. So it is currently only used for profile and flatness callouts. All other dimensions were inspected with hand tools such as calipers and height gages.

Attachments

• Reporting True Position for PPAP
    Screenshot 2024-04-26 135852.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Production parts detail report.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 66

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
Usually, the BASIC dimensions, inside the rectangles, are not listed because they are informational to the GD&T for the holes. When requested, we have just added the actual dimension measured for the distances.

Kurt Smith

Involved In Discussions
Usually, the BASIC dimensions, inside the rectangles, are not listed because they are informational to the GD&T for the holes. When requested, we have just added the actual dimension measured for the distances.
That is part of why its getting so frustrating. They want both the basic dimensions and the GD&T. Do you have any examples of a printable report on position callouts? Maybe an example will get me started.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
It sounds like you would use three rows in a traditional inspection report for each position callout:
  1. X-axis basic dimension and X-axis result (this would not have a tolerance)
  2. Y-axis basic dimension and Y axis result (this would not have a tolerance)
  3. Position tolerance and position (polar) result

JanKees

Registered
We also have such an customer where they dont' understand that the Basic dimensions (in rectangles) are only
informational to the GD&T. So , rather then keep fighting it, in some cases i mention these dimentions on reports
with a tolerance of most of the times the position tolerance divided by half, because multi directional.
On some extensive drawings they have a Column on where the holes should be against the zero-positions, these i report as the following:

HoleX-DIMY-DIMPositionActual XActual YActual Position
1295-324Ø 0.3
2295-289Ø 0.3
3295-349Ø 1
4-145-115Ø 0.05
Then in the "Actual" colums you can fill out the measured results.

Hope this helps a bit.

Our customer even uses our forms as an example for other suppliers

Don't know why the bottom 2 are not alligned, but you get the picture :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom