Reports From the Ground in Afghanistan

True Position

Inactive Registered Visitor
In the Afghanistan documents it seems that US trucking contractors are paying bribes to the Taliban for safe passage. So, obviously the trucking contractor passes the bribe cost along to the american people. It's probably cheaper for the contractor as well then the occasional truck lost to a roadside bomb and the resulting payments to the family.

The Taliban then uses these funds to purchase whatever supplies they need, including weapons. The end result being US tax dollars are being spent to fund the Taliban in purchasing weapons then used against US troops as a consequence of cost reduction and outsourcing of logistics.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/07/27/afghanistan.wikileaks.corruption/index.html

Randy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Trusted
In the Afghanistan documents it seems that US trucking contractors are paying bribes to the Taliban for safe passage.
Well krap, US contractors, French rubber plantation owners and many others paid off the Viet Cong during "our" war so what you're saying sure the heck ain't news.

As for the "leaks", why is everyone so surprised? Are people actually so simple minded as to not think that boundaries have been stretched and stuff is happening that may not be "nice"?

I say it's time to get because we're not in it to win.:nope: We don't have either the guts, or political will to finish the job and we never will as long as we worry about upsetting folks and hurting their feelings....We would have never won WW2 under the conditions that exist today...Not even close!

True Position

Well krap, US contractors, French rubber plantation owners and many others paid off the Viet Cong during "our" war so what you're saying sure the heck ain't news.
I'm not complaining about contractors making profit, clearly that's been happening, my comment is the fact that we're buying the weapons used to kill US soldiers.

As for the "leaks", why is everyone so surprised? Are people actually so simple minded as to not think that boundaries have been stretched and stuff is happening that may not be "nice"?
Nothing surprised me, but it's nice to get evidence of my suspicions.

I say it's time to get because we're not in it to win.:nope: We don't have either the guts, or political will to finish the job and we never will as long as we worry about upsetting folks and hurting their feelings....We would have never won WW2 under the conditions that exist today...Not even close!
I recall someone standing on a deck of an aircraft carrier afterwards 'Mission Accomplished'. This opinion that 'who cares if a few innocent civilians die' is what's creating more insurgents.

mguilbert

Quite Involved in Discussions
The disturbing part is the informants names were not redacted. What do you think their current life expectancy is? Where is the outrage about classifeid information being leaked like when Valerie Plame was outed? Was her life jeopardized or just her career? Is it because she is an American and they are not? To me the blood of the informants is on the leaker and those who released these doc's on the internet and papers wihtout redacting the names. Who do think will work as an informant with the US in the future to help fight those in Al Qaeda or any others in the future who want to or have harmed others? I wouldn't, the US can not be trusted to secure classified information.Remember according to the bipartisan report on 9/11 they (Al Qaeda) were at war with us while we treated it as a police action.

D

David phillips

It would have been cheaper if the US had just honored the agreement we had made with Afghan to keep the Russians out. We were to help rebuild the infrastructure, schools, hospitals, water and power.

But as with the American Indians, Inuit and a some others. we make big promise. the change minds.

David Hartman

When is America going to learn to stay out of everybody else's civil wars. If one country is invading another (Iraq - Kuwait) it may make sense to help, but fighting among differing people groups within a country - based on our experience in Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq, and now Afghanistan I don't believe we have figured out how to win such a "war". Our efforts have resulted in loss of life without a well defined goal or the commitment to achieve success. Our troops end up being a policing activity in areas where they have no authority and no respect.