Reprocessing, Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization Validation

Hi,

I am looking for guidance on Reprocessing, Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization Validation for Class I and Class I reusable Surgical Instruments.

The standard i am using for IFU is ISO 17664. I need to know if automatic cleaning and disinfection is a must or is it optional?

If we do validation of manual cleaning and disinfection, will it be enough to comply with requirements of new MDR.

Will appreciate any guidance provided.

P.S If anyone here can recommend a Lab to provide above services at a good cost?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

twanmul

Involved In Discussions
I think that this would be better moved to the Medical Devices section of the forum; European Medical Device Regulations. They will be better to help. I wouldn't be able to comment on whether that HS was appropriate or what you should/shouldn't do. Sorry

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
I am not a subject matter expert on this topic, but from what I've in the reusable surgical instrument arena - the instruments are supplied with manual and automatic cleaning options. The MDR does not dictate manual and automatic cleaning validation. I suspect it comes from customer (Hospital) requests which became industry practice.

I welcome inputs from other members...

Shimon

planB

Trusted Information Resource
Akrambilal,

if automated cleaning/disinfection is feasible then - at least in the European Union and the US - then this is the strongly preferred method. Consequently, you would have to provide solid justification why you label a manula process if your device(s) could technically also be subjected to an automated process.

Lab: make sure the lab is accredited to the test methods you intend to use. There are quite some European (and US) labs around that offer reprocessing validations at about the same price. Anything specific you are looking for?

HTH,

Gerhard

TheMightyWife

Involved In Discussions
I agree, automatic cleaning and sterilisation method is preferred, therefore worth investing in (especially when products are supplied to NHS).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Where to find Regulations for Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
M Informational EU draft act – Single-use medical devices – safety and performance requirements for reprocessing Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational The USFDA Continues to Remind Facilities of the Importance of Following Duodenoscope Reprocessing Instructions: FDA Safety Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Reprocessing or refurbishing? Single Use Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Validation of reprocessing cycles of reusable device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M FDA News FDA Safety communication – Interim Results of Duodenoscope Reprocessing Studies Conducted in Real-World Settings Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Generic Rework/Reprocessing Procedure Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Q Use of parts in gamma sterilization validation - Reprocessing implants EU Medical Device Regulations 1
bio_subbu USFDA issues final guidance on "Reprocessing Medical Devices in Health Care Settings" Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M UDI - Direct Marking and Reprocessing Clarification Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
A FDA Medical Device Reprocessing Guidance - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J UDI (Unique Device Identification) and Reprocessing Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
1 Reprocessing of Surgical Instrument Sets Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
J Re-work and Reprocessing (REDO) - Medical Devices Class II US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Ajit Basrur Reprocessing of Reusable Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
bio_subbu SCENIHR adopts opinion on reprocessing Single Use Devices (SUD) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D Cleanroom Cleaning Products and Storage Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 18
R 510(k) Biocompatibility vs Cleaning Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Cleaning Process after laser marking on orthopaedic implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
John Broomfield Cleaning plastic from our oceans - The Ocean Cleanup Venture Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 30
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
E Labware cleaning validation protocol example Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
A Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
C Documenting Cleaning Production Lines in Medical Device Pkg facility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485 production cleaning requirements of reusable devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Production Line Pump Cleaning Validation Method Question Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
S ISO 7 and 8 Clean Room Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I Material for PUW used to cleaning Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Implantable medical device cleaning validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Looking for ISO Class 8 Cleanroom Cleaning Procedure example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Cleaning and Disinfection Validation Sample Size of 3? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
O Cleaning API Rotary Shoulder Connections Working Mates exposed to Outside Weather General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Cleaning validation for Molding Tools? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
E Cleaning Validations for Reusable Products - ANSI/AAMI TIR30:2011 Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Small Cast Iron Part Cleaning Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Cleaning Fluids and RoHS2 Declaration Requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
A Cleaning of Medical Device Storage Areas ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Using Ozone as a Cleaning Agent in Purified Water Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Best Practices in the Control of Cleaning Materials Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
W Production Equipment Cleaning Protocol Example Needed Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
V Standard for Cleaning and Washing Metal Stampings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Cleaning instructions for our non sterile, single use products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
W Cleanroom Cleaning Agents for cleaning a Class 7 Cleanroom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
G ISO 17664 Reusable Low Risk Medical Device Cleaning Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B Isopropyl Alcohol cleaning of Peek Optima ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Seeking information on use of Byotrol Cleaning Chemicals in Pharma Industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 1