Reproducing parts of a standard in a Procedure - copyright infringement?

S

Sorin

So....AMS standards have the following disclaimer:
"No parts of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronical, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of SAE."

I saw procedures with tables scanned from standards and procedures with tables containing data from standards (and the standard being stated above the table).

1. Is that copyright infringement?
2.Can an auditor frown upon?

Thank you in advance....

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Sorin, check out this thread, where we discussed a similar notion:

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=29441

When you say "procedures with tables scanned", are you speaking of your own procedures?

I'm not sure about an auditor frowning. As long as the steps are supposed to be covered, and indeed are being covered.

The copyright police may be another matter. If you are concerned about that, I might not copy it outright. What I would do (silly, I know) is create a checklist stating "complete item 1 from AMS2440 (made it up) Table 4" and so on. Then, you're not copying, you still refer to the most current version table, and still complete the same required steps.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
"No parts of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronical, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of SAE."

I saw procedures with tables scanned from standards and procedures with tables containing data from standards (and the standard being stated above the table).

Thank you in advance....
This is a good question and the answer is not straight but YES and NO but more towards NO :)

Answer 1 - I would argue that if the personnel need to use the tables, it has to be in a SOP / WI or how would those personnel know what has to be practised ?

Answer 2 - If your site has a copyright document, the auditor can be explained that the tables are taken from the standard for use within the organization. Btw, I do not think any auditor would object this.

C

chaosweary

I think all of this copyright infringement is a bunch of dung. I don't know of one auditor that never had a checklist with passages taken verbatim from some standard. Also the statue of limitations a lawsuit from the author for a copyrighted material is 3 yrs from when the infringment occurs in the U.S. - (I have had my checklists for over 10 yrs). Calling something an International standard then having it copyrighted is a paradox. Does anyone have examples of ISO-IEC successfully litigating a copyright? I think if they really want to make money on their standards then make them cheaper. If they were say 5 or 10 even 20 bucks we would buy a whole lot more of them. Wait if your in China then Copyright infringement doesn't apply!!!:lol:

Bob the QE

Quite Involved in Discussions
:mg: Recently, we had a consultant come in to do internal auditor training to AS9100. I must add that this individual was part of the transition team I inherited when I took this project on, we had already contractually agreed to his services. Anyway, as he is preparing to conduct the internal audit for my team I notice the standard he is using is AS9100A and in the front it has the standard "Rights reserved.....,without written permission of XXX". So I ask him not only does he have the right to copy this and use it, why aren't my auditors being trained to rev. B". Long story short he didn't have the right nor did he have Rev B. We kept our financial end of the agreement but used him only as trainer to ISO. My stance on this is that the authors of these documents do have rights and should be compensated WHEN their material is being used for direct financial gain of others and when they are so identified. OK off my soap box.

Patricia Ravanello

Thank you in advance....
Hi Sorin,
While many of the contributors to this thread are well-intentioned, beware...most of their comments are opinions rather than fact.

The safest approach is to write to the copyright owner, describe the proposed use, and ask them if it is permitted, and if there is any associated charge.

I had a similar question relating to the use of ISO 9001, so I wrote to the ISO secretariat. I wanted to know if it was acceptable to use Sections 4 through 8 as illustrated in the attached ISO and Business Operating System Interface Matrix (sample attached).

I was asked to complete a proposed usage form (also attached below), and return it to the Standards Council of Canada, which oversees international copyright issues arising in Canada (which is where I am).

Here is the response which I received:

As I mentioned, the total content of the standard included in your Matrix
must not represent more than 25% of the Matrix. This is ISO policy which
SCC, as the Canadian ISO member, is obligated to implement.

If you meet this requirement by adding sufficient material to your
Matrix and you choose to pursue using the complete text of the standard
from section 4 through 8, then there would be a fee for its use. There
would be a charge of $36.00 for each use of the Matrix containing the
standard. Payments can be made on a quarterly basis and this would be
reflected in the agreement.​
So you see, I would require their permission and have to pay a fee if I actually used the whole standard as proposed.

Of course, one way to get around it is to use the same format, but paraphrase each requirement, which is a lot of additional work, and can lead to erroneous interpretations.

International copyright law is applied differently in different countries. To be safe, it's best to contact the copyright owner to ensure there is no copyright infringement or violation for your proposed use.

Hope this helps,
Patricia Ravanello

P.S. On a related note, when I approached the IATF/IAOB for similar permission to use the ISO/TS 16949 Technical Specification, I was told:

We can not give you copyright permission to use 100% of the TS text for two reasons:

1) We do not own the ISO text (box portion), so you would have to get permission from ISO

2) The IATF will only allow copyright for 10% of the TS text.

Additionally they have a further restriction that prevents them from permitting any type of usage for I believe, 6 months (if memory serves me) following the release of a new standard (such as ISO 9001:2008)

Attachments

Last edited:

Patricia Ravanello

Answer 2 - If your site has a copyright document, the auditor can be explained that the tables are taken from the standard for use within the organization. Btw, I do not think any auditor would object this.
The Auditors don't own the standard, and are not the ISO copyright police. Additionally, their objection or approval is a moot point.

Patricia Ravanello

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Bad Parts cause Customer line stop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Calibration of "Master Parts" Used as Gauges Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
P FDA Approved Product Contact Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Identifying Applied Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Nonconforming parts accepted by operator with intention Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 31
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A AS9100D 8.1.4 Prevention of Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Do you classify applied parts? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Defib-proof applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
bryan willemot Shipping Aerospace parts without Stress certs Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D 3 Companies - Medical device parts and substances - Responsibilities EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Accessible parts per 8.4.2 b) - Touch currents in combination with MOOP or MOPP? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Traceability of component parts - Bolts, screws and washers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
L PPM - wrong parts or defective parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Managing specification changes on standard parts purchased through trading companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L PMA and Non-PMA parts in same finished goods area? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
SKM.Sunil Detachable parts vs Off the Shelf parts EU Medical Device Regulations 8
D Do purchasing controls apply to non-medical parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C AS9100D -8.5.1j - Accountability For All Products Tiny Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
D AS9102 - Assembly FAI for Use As Is or Repaired Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B F-type applied part - Separation from ALL(?) other parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A AQL sampling bags of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Returned but Customer damaged parts. Is it a NC? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 27
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
shimonv Design input/output traceability for mechanical parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Ahang Separation between secondary circuit and accessible parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
erozas2003 Color test on molded plastic parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P ISO 80369-7 standard - Interpreting which Parts should be in scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 7