Reputable Online Quality Training Courses/Certifications

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
HR does screen first, but I am the one that creates the job listing, and I never put certifications in as a requirement. HR and any automated screening software can only screen to what is in the job listing.

Quality_Goblin

Involved In Discussions
HR does screen first, but I am the one that creates the job listing, and I never put certifications in as a requirement. HR and any automated screening software can only screen to what is in the job listing.
I appreciate that certs are not a requirement, but do you think it helps in any way at all to have them? How else can someone show that they are qualified?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I have seen too many people with ASQ certifications that were very bad at their job to put much faith in them. Book knowledge/certification is only 10% of the equation. The rest is from experience and persistence.

I once hired a quality engineer that was the education chair of an ASQ section and had multiple certifications. He knew every buzzword and body of knowledge topic inside and out and aced all his interviews. Unfortunately, he spent too much time talking to employees of the opposite sex and too little time completing his work. He did not last long.

Randy

Super Moderator
I have seen too many people with ASQ certifications that were very bad at their job to put much faith in them. Book knowledge/certification is only 10% of the equation. The rest is from experience and persistence.

I once hired a quality engineer that was the education chair of an ASQ section and had multiple certifications. He knew every buzzword and body of knowledge topic inside and out and aced all his interviews. Unfortunately, he spent too much time talking to employees of the opposite sex and too little time completing his work. He did not last long.
As a 3rd party auditor I see and experience it all the time.

How else can someone show that they are qualified?
There's no requirement for qualification, the requirement is competent. One is a duck and the other is a basketball.

I'm qualified (licensed as) an FAA A&P Mechanic, however I'm not currently competent to do much of anything under my license on a civil aviation aircraft.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
From someone who has been in this business for over 30 years. Having accreditation and/or certification makes anyone as reputable as having a drivers license makes anyone a good driver.
True. And yet, ya can't (legally) drive without a license. And as Miner said, it could be a tiebreaker. And if you take various courses/classes or study to pass a certification, ya might actually learn some things that in the real world will help you do a better job.

I've personally seen all the negative things mentioned in this thread and more. Example: I once took the job of a quy who on paper was way better than I was in virtually every category - had several higher-level ASQ certs, was a honcho in an ASQ section, had an advanced degree, etc. But his on the job performance was poor and my co-workers all agreed I blew him away performance-wise.

But... My advice to the OP is that certs don't hurt, go ahead and get some. Also look for threads on here where people ask what are good articles and books on quality to read/study and make use of the advice. And hang out here.

In short - learn and keep on learning and you'll get noticed.

Randy

Super Moderator
I can very easily remember during the Stage 2 for an initial certification to ISO 14001 20+ years ago the Environmental Manager? Management Rep, without end, reminding me that he was in possession of a Masters in Environmental Engineering....WOW! I was totally impressed. The "Masters" owner's boss was even more impressed when I told him that I had to issue a MAJOR NC and I wouldn't at the time be able to recommend certification because I had identified a couple absolute regulatory requirements that had not been addressed, that they were in a technical state of non-compliance and that they had to do a self disclosure that would most likely result in a visit from government representatives . I guess the MR was "qualified" but I'm positive there was a lack of competence.

Eventually certification was gained, but only after a multi-media compliance inspection, and a few $$$ being coughed up. The "qualified" person with the big letters behind his name was asked to take a hike as well.

Quality_Goblin

Involved In Discussions
Does anyone here use Udemy for courses? I see some that look good, but I want to know if they add any value. Thanks!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
My company uses Udemy. Regarding value, it depends on the particular course. Most of the courses that I have reviewed are not in depth. If you are looking for an overview of a particular topic, they are not bad, but very few go into much depth. They also do not follow elearning best practices. For example, they use a lot of meaningless clip art and photos that distract from rather than enhance the learning experience.

I will say that many of the courses that cover six sigma are very poor. Some are flat out technically wrong. Most are taught at an Remember/Knowledge level (see Bloom's taxonomy) yet are billed as a certification course. A certification course should be taught at the Application level or higher.

Top Bottom