Request Calibration Info

QAguy

Involved In Discussions
Hello Calibration Pros:
What is a cost efficient method to verify our true meter wheel. This is just a rotating wheel, small plastic device, that measures in linear feet. As the wheel rotates the numbers in the wheel device just rotate indicating the linear feet traveled. The device is not electric. We use it to verify the counters while our machines wrap the plastic material around the spool. It's a very simple operation we are just verifying the linear feet of roll to the machine. We don't want to send it for calibration because the cost is as much as the device.
I look forward to your reply.

QAguy

Involved In Discussions
Hello GPainter, thanks for the reply.
GSM. grams per square meter and of course we do want to know the length of the roll to ID feet scrapped. by the foot.

AllTheThings

Involved In Discussions
If you have any traceable calibrated length measurement devices (tape measure, laser interferometer :) ) you could do a comparison, either linear, or by measuring the circumference of the wheel.

An oddball way to do it: If anyone has a GPS receiver that outputs the uncertainty (like a Garmin 64-whatever), and you have a smooth, level, flat surface about 400 meters long in a straight line, you could get a really tight fix at your origin, and a tight fix at your terminus, and see if the distance matches. The GPS fix should be +/- 2 meters if under a clear sky, and that should give you +/- 1%...

If you just need a ballpark check, a decent uncalibrated metal tape measure is usually pretty good.

Interesting question!

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
Is there any adjustment on your device? If not, I personally think occasional verification with a known length is sufficient, based on the device I envision. What are the risks that the device would become inaccurate? The most likely risk I could think of is the wheel becomes deflected to the side or out-of-round. That could conceivably change the accuracy of the unit. The 10-second check for that is to turn the unit upside down, spin the wheel and watch for wobble (like we did as kids with our bicycles). If the wobble is noticeable, then do the length verification check before use.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
We don't want to send it for calibration because the cost is as much as the device.

We have a 3ft long steel ruler which is 17025 calibrated. It gets very low use, so we set the calibration interval to 5 years. At the end of the 5 years we buy a new replacement ruler with a calibration certificate, and retire the old one.

QAguy

Involved In Discussions
Is there any adjustment on your device? If not, I personally think occasional verification with a known length is sufficient, based on the device I envision. What are the risks that the device would become inaccurate? The most likely risk I could think of is the wheel becomes deflected to the side or out-of-round. That could conceivably change the accuracy of the unit. The 10-second check for that is to turn the unit upside down, spin the wheel and watch for wobble (like we did as kids with our bicycles). If the wobble is noticeable, then do the length verification check before use.
Excellent advice. Thanks!

QAguy

Involved In Discussions
If you have any traceable calibrated length measurement devices (tape measure, laser interferometer :) ) you could do a comparison, either linear, or by measuring the circumference of the wheel.

An oddball way to do it: If anyone has a GPS receiver that outputs the uncertainty (like a Garmin 64-whatever), and you have a smooth, level, flat surface about 400 meters long in a straight line, you could get a really tight fix at your origin, and a tight fix at your terminus, and see if the distance matches. The GPS fix should be +/- 2 meters if under a clear sky, and that should give you +/- 1%...

If you just need a ballpark check, a decent uncalibrated metal tape measure is usually pretty good.

Interesting question!

We have a measuring device that we calibrated last year, however, we have only used this measuring device 5 times during the year, and the calibration cost is expensive. How can we extend the calibration period for this measuring device until next year in order to remain in compliance. Really appreciated for your reply.

Top Bottom