Request for clarification on TS 16949 Clause 5.6.1.1

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all,

In clause 5.6.1.1, ISO/TS states that:

These reviews shall include all requirements of the quality management system and its performance trends as an essential part of the continual improvement process.
Part of the management review shall be the monitoring of quality objectives, and the regular reporting and evaluation of the cost of poor quality (see 8.4.1 and 8.5.1).

Here are some questions about the above clause and I would be so grateful if someone answers these.

1- How could one show the QMS performance trend?
Overview:
For meeting this requirement, we present the trend of number of NCs observed in each internal and external audit as well as the trend of KPIs such as customer related indicators.
We believe that monitoring of number of NCs is not a good indicator for QMS performance trend.

2- What is the regular reporting? How should we meet this requirement?

Thanks all in advance.

L

lk2012

Re: request for clarification on 5.6.1.1

Hi,
here is what we do in our company.

Each area / department sets their own KPI's. For example, one of our KPIs in Quality is plant response to complaints. We set targets (e.g. 24 hours for 3D and 20 days for 8D) and then we monitor our production how long they take to respond to individual complaints. All the data is displayed in a graph showing performance against the targets. This is then reviewed by our Q-Man on weekly basis and he would report it in the Management review meeting.

You set up your own frequency of reporting. We review our KPI performance every week as a department and once a month with the top level guy in our area. Then that goes into the Management review once a year. It's all written into our procedures.

Hope this has given you some ideas on how you would like to run it in your company.
Best of luck,
Lil

J

Julie O

For meeting this requirement, we present the trend of number of NCs observed....
We believe that monitoring of number of NCs is not a good indicator for QMS performance trend.

I'm a little confused. You don't think it's a good indicator, but you present it anyway?

morteza

Hi Julie
The number of NCs depends on several factors such as:
-Type of audit (surveillance, recertification)
During recertification audit, the NCs usually increase, so the indicator gives you a false alarm. The QMS performance was stable but because of the audit type, the NCs increase during current period.
-Number of internal audit/audit time
When the number of internal audit/audit time increases, the NCs also increase.

morteza

Hi Lil
You set up your own frequency of reporting. We review our KPI performance every week as a department and once a month with the top level guy in our area. Then that goes into the Management review once a year. It's all written into our procedures.
If I would undestand right, you mean that at first we should provide a table containing:
1- the report type (I don't know whether I should only list KPIs or the other reports such as process audit report, COQ , etc
2- reporting period (weekly, monthly, etc)
3- presentation location (QC dept, MR session, etc)
and then we show this table in MR session.
If I undestand right, what is the benefit of showing or presenting a table in MR session? Only for information?

L

lk2012

Hi,
you get the gist right, the standard doesn't expressly tell you how often you should be doing your reviews. It only says you have to do them regularly.

KPI reporting has to be sensible, I absolutely agree with you that showing a table isn't going to achieve much (apart from sending the attendees into coma).
How about using the table with your data to produce a graph showing your trend or even make a short presentation?

hope this helps
Lil

PS I'm gonna be missing the forum!

Top Bottom