Request: Suggestions / Tips for Responding to CAR for Late Deliveries

B

Bob_M

Request: Suggestions/Tips for responding to CAR for Late-Deliveries

For starters I don't have any exact details YET but I will provide them as I get them.

I'm looking for general tips/suggestions for Formally (and intelligently) responding to CARs from customer for LATE SHIPMENTS (regardless of situation).


Our Sales/CSR just got an emailed Corrective Action for "On-Time Delivery" for July 2003 (87.71% to be exact). Our CSR left a voice mail to try to get some more details/clarification. Hopefully we can make this go away because if our CSR is right we were not late, we had a "special" delivery arrangement during July for some particular kits (I believe) driven by our customer not us. So on the customer's system they probably did look late. FYI: Two buyers at one location, which buy different parts. One buyer on vacation, 2nd buyer issued CAR for late parts that she does not order and probably did not have knowledge of special arrangements....

FYI: We've only had a few CARs from customers for Late shipments that I'm aware of. The few responses I've found/read were basically "smoke up our customers A**es", especially since the root cause was us having trouble PAYING our vendors at the time and/or bad scheduling on our part...
 
E

energy

We used to blame the carriers. Even switched carriers to authenticate it. In actuality, we were also blowing smoke.
 

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Bob_M said:
For starters I don't have any exact details YET but I will provide them as I get them.

I'm looking for general tips/suggestions for Formally (and intelligently) responding to CARs from customer for LATE SHIPMENTS (regardless of situation).

I've done these before for the same basic type of scenario. I got copies of all the customer info that pertained to delivery, put it all together with a diplomatic investigation explaining that we shipped per the customer's stated requirements. I just made it as factual and non-acusatory as possible then waited for the dust to settle. In the end, it worked out great, the customer was happy that we were honest with them, they were unaware that they had some holes in their system and they were able to make improvements also. Of course, we've had others that were our fault too. :vfunny:

I think my favorite late shipment corrective action request came from a customer who picked up their own stuff and sent a CAR asking why their shipment was 2 months late! LOL We had documentation with signatures showing that they were notified that the shipment was ready (we sent the ready notices out 3 days prior to their requested ship date, per their requirements), and also weekly follow-up reports showing the shipment was ready (and past due) for their pick up.
 

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Bob,

First things first....do the leg work and research why the CAR was issued.

Next, if it was due to an error at the customer, give them the opportunity to withdraw the CAR. This prevents egg-on-face syndrome.

I have a customer in the Medical Device field that can not withdraw CARs once issued. I just had one to respond to the other day. It was issued for parts not meeting the print, but the parts were actually old inventory, made to an old revision. I had to respond as such. Hate to do that, but.....no other choice in the matter.

Lots o'luck!

CarolX
 
B

Bob_M

CarolX said:
First things first....do the leg work and research why the CAR was issued.
Next, if it was due to an error at the customer, give them the opportunity to withdraw the CAR. This prevents egg-on-face syndrome.
I/we plan on doing both of these points, but the CSR is on his way out the door in a few minutes, and won't be back 'til Monday. *shrug*

I'm still eager to get general/specific feedback/suggestion for this type of scenerio.
 
R

Randy Stewart

Bob,
What I have done in the past is that my initial response (24 hrs) will basically be to monitor shippments for x amount of days (usually time to investigate claim), and do root cause analysis.
This does 2 things, it keeps you from looking like you're dodging the issue and it gives you time to circle the wagons or just some thinking time.
Is the "special delivery" arrangments documented anywhere?
I know the goal of OTD is 100% but being around 90% isn't bad and just maybe no action is required.
 
B

Bob_M

Randy Stewart said:
Bob,
What I have done in the past is that my initial response (24 hrs) will basically be to monitor shippments for x amount of days (usually time to investigate claim), and do root cause analysis.
This does 2 things, it keeps you from looking like you're dodging the issue and it gives you time to circle the wagons or just some thinking time.
Is the "special delivery" arrangments documented anywhere?
I know the goal of OTD is 100% but being around 90% isn't bad and just maybe no action is required.

Although we're awaiting a "legible" copy (email copy is all screwy), it appears the intial/short term due date is 08/28/03 and resolution due date is 09/04/03.
Our CSR HAD an email copy of the "special arrangements", but he thinks he deleted it, but will look for it Monday... (I think we need to sit down and discuss the NEED to keep those types of things). :bonk: *sigh*
With a little luck, it will be retracted this time by the customer...
I believe 90% is there cut off point, but per the special arrangements we were not late.
 
R

Randy Stewart

Keeping track of those little details! :bonk: We have Program Managers that do the same thing but no only with deliveries, they'll change quantities and not tell anyone. How do you over look that?
We have to change deliveries all the time (last minute customer changes, quantities, inspection, etc.) so I have an idea of what you're up against.

Is your CSR using Outlook for email. There is a way to get deleted files back and it's not the recover selection. There's a program on the Office help web page that you can download and it allows you to corrupt your outlook file. By doing that Outlook will run it's diagnostic program and put it in a "Lost & Found" folder from the auto archive back up.
Let me know and I'll get the details from our IT guys.
They just had to run it on my PC. The Ford system pushed out an upgrade while outlook was doing the archive and it lost half of my emails. :thedeal:
 
B

Bob_M

Randy Stewart said:
Is your CSR using Outlook for email. There is a way to get deleted files back and it's not the recover selection. There's a program on the Office help web page that you can download and it allows you to corrupt your outlook file. By doing that Outlook will run it's diagnostic program and put it in a "Lost & Found" folder from the auto archive back up.
Let me know and I'll get the details from our IT guys.
Thanks for the email idea. It may still be in his deleted folder *shrug*

Our manufacturing/software system is old and we don't always manually update ship dates, so most of our "on time delivery" tracking is don't manually and by memory and emails... There's not much I/we can do until monday, unless the customer faxes over a retractions/clarification. I'm not going to worry to much until Monday.
 

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Randy Stewart said:
We have to change deliveries all the time (last minute customer changes, quantities, inspection, etc.) so I have an idea of what you're up against.

Ahh, prototypes. "We need another 50 pcs but change the trim in this area - can we have them tomorrow for our build?" Project managers, sheesh!
 
Top Bottom