Required Audit Days - ISO/IEC Guide 62 gives guidance to Registrars

C

C Emmons

I have reviewed information in the past which provided the framwork for how a registrar determines the number of days required for a registration audit. I can remember that it was based on the number of employees but can't remember if the number of facilities was a factor. Where can I find the guidelines?
 
N

noboxwine

no help

C Emmons said:
I have reviewed information in the past which provided the framwork for how a registrar determines the number of days required for a registration audit. I can remember that it was based on the number of employees but can't remember if the number of facilities was a factor. Where can I find the guidelines?

I am not aware of any guidelines---each audit i have been a part of is determined by the registrar based upon their experience with the industry (SIC Code) and # of employees. :bigwave:
 
D

db

C Emmons said:
I have reviewed information in the past which provided the framwork for how a registrar determines the number of days required for a registration audit. I can remember that it was based on the number of employees but can't remember if the number of facilities was a factor. Where can I find the guidelines?

You might want to find Guide 62 (or its replacement). My memory says that it gives input along those lines, but I'm not sure.
 
A

Aaron Lupo

Yes, ISO/IEC Guide 62 does give guidance to the Registrars on the number of audit days required. However, if you are certified to multiple standards the number of days will increase.
 

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
I checked Guide 62 and it doesn't have the info, but the guidance document that goes with it (guidance on the guidance :D) has a table in it. Look on page 26 in the attached (hopefully it's OK to attach this??)...
 

Attachments

  • ISO+IEC+Guide+62-1996 IAF Guidance Doc (v4 7-2002).pdf
    152.5 KB · Views: 535
D

db

howste said:
I checked Guide 62 and it doesn't have the info, but the guidance document that goes with it (guidance on the guidance :D) has a table in it. Look on page 26 in the attached (hopefully it's OK to attach this??)...

Has Guide 62 been replaced? I think it was merged with the one for EMS into a single document. Is this correct, or is my memory failing (again)?
 
T

tomvehoski

Guide 62 also states how to determine how many sites to sample based on the total number of facilities. I can't recall the formula, but it is basically a fraction of the total number of sites. The auditor days per site is determined based on a table of number of employees.

Registrars do have some discretion in how they quote. If you have five office employees and 200 truck drivers, they do not have to quote at the 205 count. They can also reduce the time if you don't do design, or increase it if you have a complicated/multiple scopes.

I also get creative on what I tell the registrar. For example, 2 part time employees = 1 full time. I will do this to meet a breakpoint in the chart if we can - usually in the 10-15 person range.

Tom
 

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
db - Nope, Guide 62 (1996) still exists and is in use by registrars. The QMS and EMS audit guidance documents (ISO 10011 and 14011) were replaced with ISO 19011.
 
D

db

howste said:
Nope, Guide 62 (1996) still exists and is in use by registrars. The QMS and EMS audit guidance documents (ISO 10011 and 14011) were replaced with ISO 19011.

Yeah, that I knew. But I thought there was a replacement for Guide 62. I guess I'm just gettin old.
 

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Maybe you're thinking of Guide 25 that was replaced with ISO 17025?
 
Top Bottom