Required Audit Days - ISO/IEC Guide 62 gives guidance to Registrars

C

C Emmons

I have reviewed information in the past which provided the framwork for how a registrar determines the number of days required for a registration audit. I can remember that it was based on the number of employees but can't remember if the number of facilities was a factor. Where can I find the guidelines?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

noboxwine

no help

C Emmons said:
I have reviewed information in the past which provided the framwork for how a registrar determines the number of days required for a registration audit. I can remember that it was based on the number of employees but can't remember if the number of facilities was a factor. Where can I find the guidelines?
I am not aware of any guidelines---each audit i have been a part of is determined by the registrar based upon their experience with the industry (SIC Code) and # of employees. :bigwave:

C Emmons said:
You might want to find Guide 62 (or its replacement). My memory says that it gives input along those lines, but I'm not sure.

A

Aaron Lupo

Yes, ISO/IEC Guide 62 does give guidance to the Registrars on the number of audit days required. However, if you are certified to multiple standards the number of days will increase.

howste said:
I checked Guide 62 and it doesn't have the info, but the guidance document that goes with it (guidance on the guidance :D) has a table in it. Look on page 26 in the attached (hopefully it's OK to attach this??)...
Has Guide 62 been replaced? I think it was merged with the one for EMS into a single document. Is this correct, or is my memory failing (again)?

T

tomvehoski

Guide 62 also states how to determine how many sites to sample based on the total number of facilities. I can't recall the formula, but it is basically a fraction of the total number of sites. The auditor days per site is determined based on a table of number of employees.

Registrars do have some discretion in how they quote. If you have five office employees and 200 truck drivers, they do not have to quote at the 205 count. They can also reduce the time if you don't do design, or increase it if you have a complicated/multiple scopes.

I also get creative on what I tell the registrar. For example, 2 part time employees = 1 full time. I will do this to meet a breakpoint in the chart if we can - usually in the 10-15 person range.

Tom

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
db - Nope, Guide 62 (1996) still exists and is in use by registrars. The QMS and EMS audit guidance documents (ISO 10011 and 14011) were replaced with ISO 19011.

howste said:
Nope, Guide 62 (1996) still exists and is in use by registrars. The QMS and EMS audit guidance documents (ISO 10011 and 14011) were replaced with ISO 19011.
Yeah, that I knew. But I thought there was a replacement for Guide 62. I guess I'm just gettin old.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Required Audit Days for TS 16949 Initial Certification Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Becoming a Certified Aerospace Auditor - How to get the required audit days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Required number of auditor days (Audit Man-Days) for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 32
D Required Audit Man Days for ISO9001:2000? General Auditing Discussions 15
D ISO 9001:2000 - Required Audit Days Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
M Why have IATF rules required the CBs to audit remote supporting functions at first? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
R ISO 9001:2015 9.3 - Required inputs to the management review - Audit Nonconformance Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
S Is Audit Plan / Agenda required for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 2
J QS 9000 Internal Audit Booklet required Internal Auditing 2
P Is it required to audit per 21 CFR Part 211 ? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
Crimpshrine13 Is VDA 6.3 required for Manufacturing Process Audit (ISO/TS 16949)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
O Is a full Internal Audit cycle every year required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Is an Internal Audit Checklist required for TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M ISO 13485 Certification - Internal Audit Program Required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S How many mandays are required for QMS audit? Internal Auditing 5
T 8.2.2 Internal Audit Checklist - Is an Audit Report Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
CharlieUK Is Notified Body (NB) audit required for Class I imaging device ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 20
Q Chrysler required FMEA and Control Plan Document Audit Forms and Process Audit Check FMEA and Control Plans 7
N AS9110 Audit Stage 2 - What procedures are required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D What is required in a combined ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Records Required by ISO 9001 - Audit Nonconformance - No record for 7.5.4 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
S Is a Stage 1 Audit required for ISO 50001 Certification? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
K Process Audit Checklist For Powder Coating Required Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
Moncia Supplier Audit Requirements for ISO 22000 - Is a schedule required? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
D Sanity Check - Audit of Distribution Centers required by New Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
I Is it required to have a Lead Internal Auditor on the Internal Audit Team? ISO 14001 Internal Auditing 3
S Internal Audits required before Registration Audit - Distributors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L Required Internal Audit Records & Forms Internal Auditing 4
K Documents required to display/keep during ISO 9000 Audit in EPCC firm ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
K Developing an TL 9000 Audit Checklist - Help required TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 2
A ISO 17020 Audit Findings - Calibration from Accredited Laboratory required Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
T Metal Stamping Process Audit / Knowledge required! Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 17
W "Actual" Audit Results Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
K Is an Internal Audit Closure Certificate required? Internal Auditing 10
L Is a Supplier Audit required for an ISO certified calibration company? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 12
A Rental Warehouse Audit required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
R Design Dossier up to date required - Audit finding - CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D TS16949 Audit Finding to 7.5.2 - Required Signatures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
C C.A.S.E. audit - Notification to 121 air-carriers required? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
L Is an internal audit of quality department required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
V Reference Number required in Internal Audit Checklists ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L CQI-12 Internal Audit required by Chrysler - What if we're late? General Auditing Discussions 7
A AS/EN 9100 Required Internal Audit Cycles / Interval Internal Auditing 12
Antonio Vieira Preventive Action Required for each Observation in Audit Report Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
S TS/ISO 16949 Process Audit Checklist required Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
J What is required to tell customers after Audit where nonconformances are found IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
S Required ISO 9001:2000 external audit frequency? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Product Audit - What is actually required to be audited during product audit? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
R Internal Audit and Management Review before Certification: Is it a required? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
C Layered Process Audit required by Chrysler - Is it as 'great' as Chrysler says it is? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 28