Required explanation of sub clause 7.2.101.2 (Exception) of IEC 61010-2-020:2006

Harsh

Involved In Discussions
Hello There,

Can anyone briefly explain what the following first line from IEC 61010-2-020:2006 sub clause 7.2.101.2 means?

For LABORATORY CENTRIFUGES that satisfy all the following limitations, a device which merely interrupts motor power may be used instead of an interlock mechanism.

Is it referring to the limitation of using the interlock mechanism or what?

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
I don't have -2-020 in front of me, but my interpretation of that is:

An interlock mechanism is not required for LABORATORY CENTRIFUGES that satisfy all the following limitations - a device which merely interrupts motor power may be used instead

An "interlock" has to meet requirements of 61010-1 clause 15 and be fault tested against 61010-1 clause 4.4.2.13

(I suspect that the limitations include being lower mass/energy centrifuge)

Harsh

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Charlie for the info. But the thing I am confused about is "a device which merely interrupts motor power may be used instead". What does it mean? Which kind of device.

Does it refers to the motorized interlock mechanism?

CharlieUK

An interlock would prevent you opening the lid until the moving parts had stopped moving and would also prevent them from being powered on until the lid was closed

A device which " merely interrupts motor power " sounds like a switch that removes power from the motor when the lid is opened, but doesn't stop it rotating, so the centrifuge could still be spinning when the lid was opened.
The switch should also prevent the motor from re-starting until the lid is closed, but again, doesn't have to meet the more onerous requirements of an interlock

Harsh

Involved In Discussions
So the latch/interlock mechanism is sufficient either mechanically or electrically operated. There is no need for the motorized interlock right?

CharlieUK

My reading is that if the product meets all the limitations, it doesn't need an interlock that meets the requirements of EN 61010-1

Note: a device isn't an "interlock" if it doesn't meet the required functional reliability to be an interlock - in that case, it's just a switch

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ashland78 PPAP required for repair of machine? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Y Is preventive action required for each CAPA initiated? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
B Spreadsheet - Used for complaint investigation - Validation required or not ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
N 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics - Auditor said we are required to create our own, if no customer char. exist. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P 9.2.2.2 & 9.2.2.3 Audit Cycle alignment required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Is complete testing required as per ISO 10993 for materials used in orthopedic implants or is literature review route possible Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
I Are suppliers required to hand over process validation reports? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
B Is 14971 Annex C checklist now in ISO/TR 24971 required to complete prior to 510k filing? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
D IEC 60601-1-2: Is EMC immunity testing required for a device without essential performance? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
V ISO 9001 or ISO 17065 required for an organization issuing 5 star rating certification of digital experience? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Is calibration really required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Filling totes and pails - when is a calibrated scale / flowmeter required in ISO 9001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Supplier performance required to be reported to supplier? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Is the Design Service Provider required to be ISO 13485 certified? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
B What are "appropriate drawings" required for a MDR in 21CFR820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Record approval- Signatures required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M MDSAP required for Device Initial Importer/Distributor into Canada? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
I Is SRN required for a contract manufacturer (CE-Marking product)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
O New GTIN (DI) required? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
P Is the second factor authentication (2FA) required for external users? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
validationspec EN 868-5 pdf required. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
F Uncertainty not Required Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
I How to find required testing for a specific device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
U Is Initial Importer Status Required if a Medical Device is Manufactured and Sterilized by an OEM in the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Is it required to complete Internal Audits within one year? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
D "certified" in ISO 19011, as well as IATF required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Is validation required when consumables are changed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
B Is labeling on the device itself required? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C ISO 9001:2015 8.3.2. h) Design and Development Planning - What is required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S For Parts Manufacturer Approval (PMA) Is 100% Inspection Required? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
R "Medical devices" required in scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
OpExPro AIAG VDA DFMEA Template Required FMEA and Control Plans 6
B PMA Supplement Required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
F UDI-PI required on packaging (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Required tests for Surgical gown US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Is a FAIR required on parts that we design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B NIOSH Approval for Surgical N95 Respirators - Required testing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Is calibration of test weight required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A 8.6 Release of products and services, 8.3 Design and development - evidence required ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Green dot required on packaging? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Indian Medical Device Rules - Manufacturing and Wholesale Lic. Required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B Where to acquire EN 868-5 required dye (Amaranth red)? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6