Required number of auditor days (Audit Man-Days) for AS9100

P

pigeon

Is there a shedule where I can check the required number of audit days for an initial certification audit, for re-certification and follow-up? Are reductions possible? (company size app. 330 employees)

Thanks for the information!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

joshua_sx1

Re: Required number of auditor days for AS9100

…someone to correct if I’m wrong, but there is no really specific standard no. of audit day(s) for certification audit, surveillance audit or even re-certification audit… all of these should be as per the agreement of the organization with the certifying body... since it involved so many considerations such as the no. of satellite offices (those included in your QMS scope), and their strategic locations & access, no. of your employees, etc. etc. & etc…

…in other words, you and your certifying body should be the one to agree on the no. of audit days…

(and if in case there is a specific no. of audit day as standard… I guess, you can still deviate from this to suit your organizational requirements) :2cents:

J

joshua_sx1

…anyway, just to share you based on my experiences, certification audit is around 2 to 3 days (to audit the entire system)… surveillance is 1 to 2 days (since it is usually not taking account the entire system), and re-certification is the same as certification audit (since they need to audit again the entire system)…

…but then again, your organization and your chosen certifying body should agree on audit plan for this purpose… :)

J

joshua_sx1

…reduction on the no. of audit days? :rolleyes: ... of course, you can propose this to your certifying body, :yes: specially if you have an evidence that your system is improving…

…same also, your certifying body can recommend to increase the no. of audit days :( (including additional days for verification of your corrective & preventive actions) if they have an evidence to support their recommendation…

…someone to correct if I’m wrong, but there is no really specific standard no. of audit day(s) for certification audit, surveillance audit or even re-certification audit…
O.K - Joshua - you are off base here. There is a document which defines for a CB how many days each of these activities should take (ISO Guide 62). Yes, there are factors which affect the number of days, but it's not that flexible. Indeed, recently, CB's have been brought to task by the accreditation bodies because of too much flexibility in allocating auditor days - although it was agreed with the customer!

For AS9100 organizations this is very important.

…anyway, just to share you based on my experiences, certification audit is around 2 to 3 days (to audit the entire system)… surveillance is 1 to 2 days (since it is usually not taking account the entire system), and re-certification is the same as certification audit (since they need to audit again the entire system)…

…but then again, your organization and your chosen certifying body should agree on audit plan for this purpose… :)
The number of days is dependent on the total had count of the organization and the scope of the qms (e.g. design responsible). Joshua, for you these numbers may be true - but not for larger organizations (population). Without knowing your organization's head count the number of days is (relatively) meaningless. Also, we don't know if you're speaking of an accredited CB.

In some cases, and it's been this way since the early 90's, the re-assessment isn't an audit of the whole system! It's reduced based on past performance over the three year period of the agreement. Again, not all CB's do this. Which one are you using?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator

Is there a shedule where I can check the required number of audit days for an initial certification audit, for re-certification and follow-up? Are reductions possible? (company size app. 330 employees)

Thanks for the information!
You count is close to ours which is 310, so I would guess the following:

2 Man-days - Stage 1

10 Man-days -Stage 2

Yes there is a guide that the Certification Bodies use to determine man-days, but it is not the same as the one that you could download from the IAF (Guide 62 I believe)

You count is close to ours which is 310, so I would guess the following:

2 Man-days - Stage 1

10 Man-days -Stage 2

Yes there is a guide that the Certification Bodies use to determine man-days, but it is not the same as the one that you could download from the IAF (Guide 62 I believe)
That's correct. AS adds time to the Guide 62 requirements, but as I posted previously there's not much 'wiggle room' to adjust time to suit customers requests/agreements. I wanted to ensure that people understand that it's not a 'free-for-all' when it comes to assigning audit days to a client!

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

The process for estimating audit-days for AS9100, 9110 and 9120 audits starts by following the same protocol delineated in Appendix 2 of the IAF Guidance to ISO/IEC Guide 62. Then, augment the number of audit days according to the appropriate tables available in AS/EN 9104.

Insufficient audit days is one of the concerns over the ICOP Scheme. I reported that in the Quality Digest article AS9100: Reducing Variation in the ICOP Scheme .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
lilybef Number of lots required for stability testing of a Class II device in the 510(k) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S Is Lot Number required in addition to UDI serial number? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
M How to find the number of required data - Correlation with 4 variables Using Minitab Software 2
M Is a Form Number Required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
M Process Approach: Types & number of processes required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
T Required ISO 17025 Traceability - The specific ID/SS number of the test weight ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Number of Documented / Controlled Procedures Required by TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P Number of Laboratories required to participate in ILCP General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
kisxena Separate NCR for each Part Number required or necessary? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Q Excel worksheet - Help required (viewing specific number of rows/columns) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
V Reference Number required in Internal Audit Checklists ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A The Minimum Number of Internal Auditors Required in an Organization Internal Auditing 37
K Resubmission of PSW required by customer because of part number change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C Thermohygrometer Calibration - Number of Required Calibration Points General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
J Samples Selection in Gage R&R - Number of Decimal Places Required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K What is the Minimum number of internal auditors required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C New PPAP submission required when changing part number? APQP and PPAP 11
A Ford Gage R&R - Required Number of Appraisers per MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
P ISO 9001:2000 - Required Procedures or minimum required number? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
K Number of Required Audit Mandays - TS 16949:2002 Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
I Is SRN required for a contract manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O New GTIN (DI) required? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
P Is the second factor authentication (2FA) required for external users? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
validationspec EN 868-5 pdf required. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
F Uncertainty not Required Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
I How to find required testing for a specific device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
U Is Initial Importer Status Required if a Medical Device is Manufactured and Sterilized by an OEM in the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Is it required to complete Internal Audits within one year? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
D "certified" in ISO 19011, as well as IATF required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Is validation required when consumables are changed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
B Is labeling on the device itself required? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C ISO 9001:2015 8.3.2. h) Design and Development Planning - What is required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S For Parts Manufacturer Approval (PMA) Is 100% Inspection Required? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
R "Medical devices" required in scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
OpExPro AIAG VDA DFMEA Template Required FMEA and Control Plans 2
B PMA Supplement Required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
F UDI-PI required on packaging (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Required tests for Surgical gown US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Is a FAIR required on parts that we design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B NIOSH Approval for Surgical N95 Respirators - Required testing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Is calibration of test weight required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A 8.6 Release of products and services, 8.3 Design and development - evidence required ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Green dot required on packaging? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2