Required to keep records of all expedited freight? ISO 9001:2000

M

Mike Hudson

I have not seen any reference to it in the standard, or even read anything that has inferred it, but sometimes auditors read things into the standard that aren't spelled out verbatim. Under QS, we were required to keep records of all expedited freight, but I have not seen this in ISO. Is this no longer a requirement?:bonk:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Re: ISO 9001:2000 and expedited freight

I have not seen any reference to it in the standard, or even read anything that has inferred it, but sometimes auditors read things into the standard that aren't spelled out verbatim. Under QS, we were required to keep records of all expedited freight, but I have not seen this in ISO. Is this no longer a requirement?:bonk:

It was a specific QS-9000 (Big 3 related) requirement. It is an area of potential waste, and many companies track it, but it is not specifically required by ISO 9001.

T

tyker

Most people regard ISO/TS 16949:2002 as the natural replacement for QS-9000 and clause 8.2.1.1 of that standard still requires premium freight to be monitored.

C

CliffK

It sounds to me like this question has more to do with auditor behavior than requirements of the standard.

Automotive auditors who also audit ISO 9001 have been known to apply automotive requirements to ISO 9001 clients. I have seen this happen on more than one occasion.

For this reason, among others, I always advise ISO 9000 clients to request non-automotive auditors.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
It sounds to me like this question has more to do with auditor behavior than requirements of the standard.

Automotive auditors who also audit ISO 9001 have been known to apply automotive requirements to ISO 9001 clients. I have seen this happen on more than one occasion.

For this reason, among others, I always advise ISO 9000 clients to request non-automotive auditors.

Certainly not necessary to request non-automotive auditors. They have broad experience which can be very useful.

If any auditor applies any requirement to a client where it doesn't fit, the simple response is to remind him that is not an ISO requirement. Any good auditor should react very simply and appropriately to such an observation. It occasionally happens to me. I smile and say, "why, you are absolutely right! Silly me..."

No auditor has any basis for requiring a requirement that is not in the scope of the standard he is auditing to. That is a fundamental rule of auditing.

M

Mike Hudson

Thanks for all the helpful advice.:thanx: Our auditor has always made distinctions between our auto motive and non-automotive activities. Of couse, if we are forced to go to TS (which we shouldn't have to, as we are at most a tier-two) we will have comply with the requirement under TS.

Top Bottom