SBS - The best value in QMS software

Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List?

J

jckca

I performed a search for this question, but only found questions regarding distributors required to be on the Approved Supplier List (ASL).

Is it acceptable, under ISO 9001 or 13485, to put a distributor of a product component on the ASL and not the original manufacturer? An example of this would be any of the major electronic component distributors, where the original manufacturer is known, but we only deal with the distributor.

Thank you for any input.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Duke Okes

I performed a search for this question, but only found questions regarding distributors required to be on the Approved Supplier List (ASL).Is it acceptable, under ISO 9001 or 13485, to put a distributor of a product component on the ASL and not the original manufacturer? An example of this would be any of the major electronic component distributors, where the original manufacturer is known, but we only deal with the distributor.Thank you for any input.
Whoever your contract is with.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is it acceptable, under ISO 9001 or 13485, to put a distributor of a product component on the ASL and not the original manufacturer? An example of this would be any of the major electronic component distributors, where the original manufacturer is known, but we only deal with the distributor.
I don't know about 13485, but you do not need to approve OEMs when purchasing through a distributor for ISO. I approve J&L Industrial Supplies (because, as Duke points out, that's who I purchase from) but I do not approve Vermont Gage, Reiff & Nester, Parker Hannifin, Norton Abrasives, 3M, etc.

What prompts the question, if I may ask?

J

jckca

What prompts the question, if I may ask?
Not putting the OEM on the ASL seems hokey to me- but as posted here and confirmed with a couple other contacts seems to be the industry standard.

I don't really care if the distributor has a corrective action policy in place, but I might care if the power supply manufacturer does. The thing is, if we don't put the manufacturer on the ASL we'll never get that information.

Not putting the OEM on the ASL seems hokey to me- but as posted here and confirmed with a couple other contacts seems to be the industry standard.

I don't really care if the distributor has a corrective action policy in place, but I might care if the power supply manufacturer does. The thing is, if we don't put the manufacturer on the ASL we'll never get that information.
I think you maybe confusing product approvals with supplier approvals. If you buy a power supply or a discrete electronic component for a specific application, it may be necessary to approve that product, in its application...this is often an engineering task.

However, since many OE's don't sell directly and since your contract (under law) is with the distributor, you must monitor their performance. Also, their supplier is the OE so the same thing applies to them. Simply stock holding something made by an OE doesn't absolve them of supplying a good product! You buy from a catalog, to that specification, they are responsible for supplying - to that spec. Plain and simple! And, I rather think you have to care about a distributor and their corrective actions - to protect your organization from their risks! You do it every time you go to the store to buy food, in effect!

J

jckca

The OEM is part of the specification as approved and I understand that the distributor needs to be on the ASL.

What I don't like or maybe understand is why its okay not to care about the OEM's quality systems while putting the distributor's under a magnifying glass.

You buy from a catalog, to that specification, they are responsible for supplying - to that spec. Plain and simple!
While this may be technically true, I don't think it gets me anything. If we find a 1 in 1000 defect in the power supply, I'd be very surprised if a distributor even informed the manufacturer of the problem and the fact still remains this system it is impossible for me to even evaluate the manufacturer's quality system if I'm only looking at the distributor, especially if the distributor is only evaluated as a whole.

The OEM is part of the specification as approved and I understand that the distributor needs to be on the ASL.

What I don't like or maybe understand is why its okay not to care about the OEM's quality systems while putting the distributor's under a magnifying glass.

While this may be technically true, I don't think it gets me anything. If we find a 1 in 1000 defect in the power supply, I'd be very surprised if a distributor even informed the manufacturer of the problem and the fact still remains this system it is impossible for me to even evaluate the manufacturer's quality system if I'm only looking at the distributor, especially if the distributor is only evaluated as a whole.
Well, let me try to answer these imponderables for you. But I have to ask a question; what magifying glass are you putting the distributor under? All you have to do is have some criteria and then monitor/evaluate them against that criteria! What's the 'as a whole' deal? Why not evaluate how they handle your stuff? That's all you pay them for!

I feel as if you are painting this a bigger deal than actually required, of something we all do when we visit a supermarket!. Part of your evaluation may be based on the risk of a 'pass through' defect and how the distributor would handle it. You don't do much evaluation of a can of Campbell's soup (low risk) but it's a different story in the dairy products! The supermarket is only a distributor so are you proposing to visit/audit the chicken?

BTW - if the power supply is that critical to you, then indeed, you should evaluate the whole supply chain, even (to follow your own logic) to the extent of the key components which might fail - if it's that important (risky) for your organization.

I doubt that it is, so there has to be moderation. You can't appply a broad brush to supplier evaluations, as many try to - people waste hours sending out supplier surveys, asking for certification, auditing them to ISO. Believe me, after running the SQA function for a number of years, you have to start from an understanding of risk......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B NIOSH Approval for Surgical N95 Respirators - Required testing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A Is calibration of test weight required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A 8.6 Release of products and services, 8.3 Design and development - evidence required ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Green dot required on packaging? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Indian Medical Device Rules - Manufacturing and Wholesale Lic. Required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
M Is IEC 60601-1-2 required by FDA for all electronic medical devices? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B Where to acquire EN 868-5 required dye (Amaranth red)? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D Device functionality over service life - Objective evidence required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 8
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Manufacturing requirements for respiratory ventilators - clean room required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Robert Stanley Required Documentation Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S How many mandays required for the below mentioned standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P 21 CFR 807.81 When a premarket notification submission is required Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0