Requirement for Secondary Containment of Stored Chemicals

B

Benjamin28

Good morning all,

I wanted to see if anyone could educate me on requirements for secondary containment of stored chemicals. In particular we maintain storage of acids utilized for etching purposes, whether these be 2 gallon jugs, or 50 gallon drums...I was wondering if there is a requirement for secondary containment of these chemicals and if it is triggered by the volume of chemical stored...i.e. anything above 50 gallons requires secondary containment, or something along those lines.

Further, what type and amount of spill containment equipment is required (speedy dry, pads, booms)? In the aviation fuel industry we had these requirements flowed down from ATA103, NFPA, FAA, customer, etc. But at an ISO 17025 test lab I'm thinking OSHA would be the most practicle source for these requirements. Anyone enlighten me or direct me to where I can find info on this?

:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
Re: Requirement for Secondary Containment..

This is sort of an environmental issue, so it's probably the responsibility of the US and State EPAs.

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
Re: Requirement for Secondary Containment..

Did some Googling:

Lab Safety states: "Facilities dealing with the storage of hazardous materials may also be required to have containment if they are required to meet the Uniform Fire Code (UFC) standards."

I didn't find anything about secondary containment at the Connecticut Council on Environmental Quality site.

EDIT: The city of Santa Rosa has the UFC standards posted as part of their city code. There's some details there.

Last edited:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I believe that a lot of these requirements will depend on your state's regulatory requirements and your permits.

An example of what we have for ourtdoor storage tanks is that we have sencondary containment with enough volume to hold the tank(s) contents plus the maximum amount of rain recorded in a 24 hour period. Previously, the regs only stated big enough to contain the contents of the containers.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hazardous materials storage in the workplace is primarily covered by OSHA under the Hazard Communication Standard under 29CFR 1910.1200.... http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10099

Additionally depending upon the material and quantity there my be some Fire Code & EPA requirments that must be fulfilled. Your hazardous materials that are kept in your receiving area after shipment may also be subject to DOT requirements under 49 CFR, Parts 170-179 most likely 172.

If you are unsure at this time about materials then in all probability you are in violation of multiple federal and state regulatory requirements.

Under clause 4.3.2 Regulatory and Other Requirements it is your responsibility to link your aspects to the applicable requirements. You need to maximize your Corrective Action process (4.5.3).

D

DsqrdDGD909

Good morning all,

I wanted to see if anyone could educate me on requirements for secondary containment of stored chemicals. In particular we maintain storage of acids utilized for etching purposes, whether these be 2 gallon jugs, or 50 gallon drums...I was wondering if there is a requirement for secondary containment of these chemicals and if it is triggered by the volume of chemical stored...i.e. anything above 50 gallons requires secondary containment, or something along those lines.

Further, what type and amount of spill containment equipment is required (speedy dry, pads, booms)? In the aviation fuel industry we had these requirements flowed down from ATA103, NFPA, FAA, customer, etc. But at an ISO 17025 test lab I'm thinking OSHA would be the most practicle source for these requirements. Anyone enlighten me or direct me to where I can find info on this?

Lawrence Livermore Lab has a good document on chemical management.

For Storage Considerations See Section 3.4.4 of

http://www.llnl.gov/es_and_h/hsm/doc_14.01/doc14-01.html.

Randy had a good summary of the governing regulatory bodies.

Here is the specific reference from OSHA on Occupational exposure to hazardous chemicals in laboratories. - 1910.1450:
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10106

Some municipalities have their own secondary containment regs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

It is always necessary to ahere to the local regulations on this subject. But in most of the developing nations, there is no legislative information available as to the requirements of storage of chemical substances. In the absence of a legislation, a thumb-rule indication is to have a secondary containment that will hold 1.5 times the volume of the liquid stored. For example, if you store 1000 litres of a liquid chemical in a container, it has to be placed in a secondary container that will hold 1500 litres of the chemical (please bear in mind that the chemical container will occupy some space and hence allowance has to be given for this volume too while designing the secondary containment - I have seen many instances where this had not been taken into consideration as a result, in case of a leak, the liquid was overflowing the secondary containment.).

In my opinion, this applies to laboratories too, where relatively small quantities of liquid chemicals are stored and handled...providing a secondary containment helps us to reduce the spread of spill and to control the spill effectively.

With best regards,

Ramakrishnan

Kimmy

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Just wanted to share a couple of things I learned over the years regarding secondary containment.

While there are very specific regulations that must be followed, there is more than one correct way to accomplish compliance to the regulations. The goal is to prevent chemicals (the amount does not matter) from leaving your facility and contaminating the environment whether it is by flowing out the door to the ground or to a sewer/storm drain or, in some cases, to the air.

Secondary containment does not always mean that you must place containers of hazardous chemicals inside of larger containers. Sometimes, the room layout can provide the secondary containment you need. For instance, we modified our chemical storage room to include various dykes, which will prevent the liquids from leaving the room. In another (recently built) area of our facility where we perform parts cleaning, the room was designed and built with gently sloping floors that will force all free liquids to flow to the center of the room. In both cases, the inspector said it fully meets the definition of secondary containment.

In other cases, the size of the container and where located in the facility can determine if secondary containment is needed. For instance, a two gallon can of mineral spirits stored next to a floor drain which leads out to the sewer will need secondary containment. However, the same container sitting in the middle of a 12000 square foot room (with no drains) will not because it wouldn’t be possible for the liquid to escape to the outside if it did tip over.

Hopes this helps.

H

HSSE Auditor

Good morning all,

I addition to what Kimmy said. Here is a link to 1910.1450 - Occupational exposure to hazardous chemicals in laboratories. http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10106

This is required for labs. It addresses most of your concerns, I believe. If you are only receiving chemicals DOT is not a concern.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Laboratory Fridge / Freezer Inventory - Requirement(s) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Several sections of traditional 510(K) have the same or similar requirement of content. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Compliance with ISO 17025 requirement 8.4.2 - Controls - Records recovery ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Obstruction alarm requirement ISO 80601-2-12 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
C ISO 13485 Requirement in Australia/NZ for class 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Article 61 - MDR Clinical Investigation Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 5
V 3 PQ lots mentioned as requirement in PPAP. Is this necessary? APQP and PPAP 2
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S Clinical Evaluation - Is this an ISO 13485:2016 requirement? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A ISO 17025 Requirement 6.2 - Department Manager Testing Qualifications ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
shimonv IEC 60601-1 Essential Performance - Is the signal accuracy specification an essential requirement? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M EU MDR - Annex II 3b - What documents fall under this requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Vietnam requirement of CE mark for medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
C Does ISO 9001-2015 have a requirement for manufacturing equipment to be numbered? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
A Microbial exposure during use - Requirement 11.1(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Requirement of Pharmacovigilance (Drug Safety) Risk Based Strategic and Tactical Audit Plan General Auditing Discussions 0
S Device name change and label color change EU requirement? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO 17025 2017, Requirement 6.6.3 - Communicate requirements to external providers ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
A EU-MDR Annex I Requirement 10.1(d) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
M Requirement for manufacturing process validation in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J IMDS for Trucks in USA as a requirement RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
D FDA Date Format Requirement US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
XRAY_3121 Design and Development Requirement - MDSAP Audit Finding Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
M IATF 16949 - 8.5.6.1.1 Providing a list of process controls: Does this requirement add value to QMS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
V "Manufacturer Symbol on Device is missed due to space constraint" EU requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M Characterization Testing - NO acceptance criteria, no minimum performance requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
P Software requirement and design specifications - Medical device contains both hardware and software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I FDA requirement for 0.5 and 5 micron particle monitoring US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M UDI labeling MDR requirement for reusable medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 12
R Specific ISO requirement to fill in all spaces on a move tag? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
S How to fulfill PFMEA "requirement" column? FMEA and Control Plans 2
P Usability/human factors engineering requirement (standard) for IVD medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M AS 9100 - Requirement to become Certification Body (CB) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Ed Panek Requirement to track and trend positive feedback from customers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
L Is writing out the ISO9001:2015 standard full name a requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37