SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Requirement to Complete Missing Documentation - Changing Registrars

rogersr12

Starting to get Involved
I am the QA Manager at a medical device company that was largely uncontrolled as a device repair facility prior to making the transition to ISO 9001 then ISO 13485 (all before my time). I am wondering if anyone here has any experience or recommendations with respect to missing design elements with medical device parts (but not medical devices by definition). In particular, we have a variety of parts that we now make that are not covered by patent and are used in our repairs as replacements for the OEM. (For example, infusion pump parts that commonly break in the OEM). Anyway, we are looking at changing registrars and I am opposed to it because I know that we are missing a variety of documents like design inputs/ouputs/ transfers to production. Should we attempt to complete some of the basic design information (inputs, etc.) with a note that it was completed "after the fact" in order to meet requirments or will the auditor be more inclined to forgive the omissions that occurred prior to registration. Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions.

Bob

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Requirement to complete missing documentation

I am the QA Manager at a medical device company that was largely uncontrolled as a device repair facility prior to making the transition to ISO 9001 then ISO 13485 (all before my time). I am wondering if anyone here has any experience or recommendations with respect to missing design elements with medical device parts (but not medical devices by definition). In particular, we have a variety of parts that we now make that are not covered by patent and are used in our repairs as replacements for the OEM. (For example, infusion pump parts that commonly break in the OEM). Anyway, we are looking at changing registrars and I am opposed to it because I know that we are missing a variety of documents like design inputs/ouputs/ transfers to production. Should we attempt to complete some of the basic design information (inputs, etc.) with a note that it was completed "after the fact" in order to meet requirments or will the auditor be more inclined to forgive the omissions that occurred prior to registration. Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions.

Bob
Bob, welcome to the Cove.

Is there any other reason(s) why you don't want to change Registrars? Is it just because you feel that a new Auditor with a new Registrar will identify the nonconformance that you are already aware of?

I am not a Medical Device person, but, if you know that there are some deficiencies, why not take the appropriate action?

In most cases (that I have been involved with) the Registrar's Auditor will note that these were already identify (either internally or externally). There was no NC generated by the Auditor, because it has already been identified.

I would discuss this with your Registrar (new or current). Just my opinion.

J

joshua_sx1

...I agree with Coury...

:2cents: ...compliance to the intended standard is a must… whether you are changing your registrar or not, you have to satisfy the (minimum) requirements of the standards you are following…

…if you are missing documents that would jeopardize your certification as well as your operations, why wait for some external entity to find out those things? afterall (and I believe), that is the primary reason why company hired guys like you – to make the company compliance with the standard they are subscribes, maintain and continually improve the system…

rogersr12

Starting to get Involved
Joshua_sx1 and Corey,

Thank you for your responses.

I actually don't mind changing registrars, but I'm not sure that right now is the time. I am still pushing on Engineering to clean up some missing and incorrect product definition documentation (BOMs, drawings, specs, etc.) and we are getting there, we're just not there yet (it was one heck of a mess). On top of that, right now, the highest management would prefer that Engineering work on current projects rather than missing documents and come back to the missing documentation in a couple of months and the head of Engineering is not convinced that the design information such as design inputs, design outputs, etc., for some non-CE, non medical device parts, must be re-created since the projects have long since been transferred to production and since they are parts.
Overall, it sounds to me like a good discussion with our registrar (current and/or future) might be the best course of action since we are making progress and the devices and higher risk parts all have proper ISO 13485 documentation.

Thanks again.

Bob

P

Phil Fields

Bob
Bob,
I must assume that your company is FDA registered. Knowing what you know (missing items), I would be more concerned with complying to 21 CFR Part 820. Remember ISO standards are voluntary, but 21 CFR Part 820 is Federal law.

Phil

R

Rogersr

Hi Phil,

Good point and thanks for asking.

Yes, we are FDA registered, and fortunately, the documentation for finished devices is in good shape.
In light of FDA's CPG 7382.8458, we have taken the approach (and formally documented it in a policy statement) that finished medical devices strictly fall under the cGMPs and design or use of parts that don't qualify as medical devices will be handled (from a documentation standpoint) according to documented risk level.
Basically, that's where my question comes from- so far as I understand and believe, ISO 13485 doesn't give us the option of handling repair parts differently than finished devices as long as repair activities and repair parts are in our registration scope.

V

vinqua

So if you are missing DMR's (Device Master Records) of your finished products (BOMs, Drawing, Specs, etc). This has to do with FDA. I think its OK to change your registrar, because the worst that you are going to get is NONconformities, on which you could work on. You would know exactly where you stand after the audit. ARe you going for your RE-certification?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Requirement to complete an MSA when doing Comparative Tests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc ISO 9001 Three Year Recertification Audit Requirement(s) - Complete Reaudit Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
R Is a complete Internal Audit prior to registration a direct requirement of QS9000? Internal Auditing 3
B Put on escalation by customer? is there a requirement to notify registrar? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E Translation requirement labels EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Requirement for Revision of Standard in all Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K ROHs compliance requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
E Language requirement DoC EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Requirement for Signature on Document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L Water requirement for Non-sterile topical OTCs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
C Requirement to link Quality Manual to ISO 9001 clause numbers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
B FDA requirement for CAPA Signoff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Pfmea function requirement and failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 6
Y 510k requirement for bringing in gloves Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S PSUR - MDR First Submission Requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J When PPAPs are not a contractual requirement APQP and PPAP 9
I Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Brizilla Employee Data Privacy Policy - ISO 9001:2015 requirement(s)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Clinical Trial Requirement - No equivalent devices in the market CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Requirement for Retention of Records of Withdrawn Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T ISO 17025: Lockout/Tagout Requirement ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A The requirement of the PMS plan--suitable indicators and threshold values EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Battery powered device - electrical protection requirement IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 18
K Regulatory requirement of SaMD with machine learning component IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
A ASL requirement when the supplier is certified for ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Regulatory or registration requirement for disinfectant in ASEAN Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking Requirement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
W Misinterpretation of requirement acceptable as root cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
S ECG Cable Banana to Snap or Tab electrode Adapters -- ISO 10993 Requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L Stage 2 audit - Requirement for 3 months of records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Risk Number for each software requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
T ISO 17025:2017 requirement 5.7.b. about maintenance the integrity of the management system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Laboratory Fridge / Freezer Inventory - Requirement(s) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Several sections of traditional 510(K) have the same or similar requirement of content. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Compliance with ISO 17025 requirement 8.4.2 - Controls - Records recovery ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Obstruction alarm requirement ISO 80601-2-12 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2