Requirement to write a Detailed Inspection Plan (DIP)

L

lorenambrose

Hey All,

I am starting a new project and we are implementing APQP / PPAP for the first time. We have a requirement to write a Detailed Inspection Plan (DIP). This sounds exactly like a FAI which we perform IAW AS9102 already.

I am lost as to the value of the DIP mostly because I do not understand the purpose. Am I being to required to inspect EVERY characteristic for EVERY build? 100% of 100%? That seems like a real show stopper for production. Is this a one time thing?

Can someone help explain when this DIP is performed and how often. How does a DIP differ from an FAI?

In case it helps we make avionic equipment in plain black sheet metal boxes.

Thanks,

LMA

K

kgott

Hey All,

I am starting a new project and we are implementing APQP / PPAP for the first time. We have a requirement to write a Detailed Inspection Plan (DIP). This sounds exactly like a FAI which we perform IAW AS9102 already.

I am lost as to the value of the DIP mostly because I do not understand the purpose. Am I being to required to inspect EVERY characteristic for EVERY build? 100% of 100%? That seems like a real show stopper for production. Is this a one time thing?

Can someone help explain when this DIP is performed and how often. How does a DIP differ from an FAI?

In case it helps we make avionic equipment in plain black sheet metal boxes.

Thanks,

LMA

I would like to help but IDNKWATAM :confused::)

B

BrownCity

It doesn't look like you received the answer you were looking for.

A DIP must be completed each time you run the part. If you run a lot of say 100 parts, you are required to inspect that lot. The inspection is usually done on a sample basis, not 100% of the parts.

You already comply with AS9102, so you should have a Sample Plan work instruction. If you don't, let me know and I will look to see if I have a copy of an old one.

Harold

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource

In my experience, the Detailed Inspection Plan (DIP) was created by Honeywell Aerospace. It serves as evidence of final inspection acceptance. You use a bubbled drawing and put all the characteristics on the DIP, the sampling plan used, the requirements and the results. You may have attachments such as material certifications.

An AS9102 First Article Inspection Report (FAIR) is required for events as shown in AS9102. The DIP is a subset of the FAIR (similar to Page 3 of the FAIR). A FAIR is completed and submitted to the customer for their approval of a new or revised part (or part made using a revised process). The DIP is completed for each production lot.

The sampling plan is cited by the customer's requirements. If those requirements include critical characteristics that must be inspected on every piece, then you are required to report the results on the DIP.

If this was flowed down from Honeywell to you, you can get a thorough explanation on Honeywell Aerospace's portal on the Internet. You need a username and password to access it. If your customer has just adopted the form from Honeywell, then any questions you have should be directed to them.

L

lorenambrose

In my experience, the Detailed Inspection Plan (DIP) was created by Honeywell Aerospace. It serves as evidence of final inspection acceptance. You use a bubbled drawing and put all the characteristics on the DIP, the sampling plan used, the requirements and the results. You may have attachments such as material certifications.

An AS9102 First Article Inspection Report (FAIR) is required for events as shown in AS9102. The DIP is a subset of the FAIR (similar to Page 3 of the FAIR). A FAIR is completed and submitted to the customer for their approval of a new or revised part (or part made using a revised process). The DIP is completed for each production lot.

The sampling plan is cited by the customer's requirements. If those requirements include critical characteristics that must be inspected on every piece, then you are required to report the results on the DIP.

If this was flowed down from Honeywell to you, you can get a thorough explanation on Honeywell Aerospace's portal on the Internet. You need a username and password to access it. If your customer has just adopted the form from Honeywell, then any questions you have should be directed to them.

Your reply is a big help as it does shed light on it.

Angie1116

Registered
Hello WChorn or anyone

I am in the similiar boat. A customer who wants us to perform testing on parts for Honeywell asked us to do a FAI. They asked us for DIP plan. As I was reading the requirements on the Spoc 128 ( i am still waiting to get access to the Honeywell site to see the example); it seemed to be just Form 3, bubbled drawing of the dimensions, etc which i have entered into a program called Netinspect.

Is the DIP plan exactly like Form 3? I have ballooned drawings that of dimensions of the parts, etc on Form 3. OR is something different different and must be attached additionally to the FAI?

Top Bottom