Requirements for an Approved Supplier List? No new suppliers in years

P

pammesue

We have ISO 9001:2008 and also have a new auditor. During our last audit, he mentioned that we do not have to have an approved supplier list.

Im all good with that, because its a pain in the butt--maintaining surveys etc. We havent had a new supplier in years!

So what Im asking is if we dont have this...how do we evaluate the supplier performance? It says we have to have criteria for selection and evaluation of suppliers and records of the results of evaluations to be maintained.

If we dont have the approved supplier list, Do we still maintian the supplier scorecards that we normally use? What do you guys use. Some of these suppliers havent been visited in years.

thanks,
Im thinking Im confusing the two things....hmmm

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Approved Supplier list?

Your auditor is wrong. There is NO requirement for an approved supplier list. A neat tool indeed, but NOT required. The standard requires records to be maintained of acceptable suppliers. If you have maintained score cards of active suppliers, you should be OK.

Stijloor.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

We have ISO 9001:2008 and also have a new auditor. During our last audit, he mentioned that we do not have to have an approved supplier list.

Im all good with that, because its a pain in the butt--maintaining surveys etc. We havent had a new supplier in years!

So what Im asking is if we dont have this...how do we evaluate the supplier performance? It says we have to have criteria for selection and evaluation of suppliers and records of the results of evaluations to be maintained.

If we dont have the approved supplier list, Do we still maintian the supplier scorecards that we normally use? What do you guys use. Some of these suppliers havent been visited in years.

thanks,

Agree with Stijloor.
No requirement for this in ISO 9001.
It could become a requirement if you have set this in a procedure of yours or quality manual , saying that the organization mantains an approved suppliers list.:bigwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pammesue

Yeah Im fixin to remove that from the procedure. I also dont like the way we do the scorecards. Its too subjective. Do yall have an evaluation procedure you can share?

thanks,

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Yeah Im fixin to remove that from the procedure. I also dont like the way we do the scorecards. Its too subjective. Do yall have an evaluation procedure you can share?

thanks,

So, the auditor was right in his assessment, based upon you are saying...:cool:

Here are some links that I took from this precious forum in attached post list in the bar, I made a research.

Check the material just for reference and have an idea. I think that each organization shall have its own procedures and have clear processes in place with precise owner and procedures. It is not effective to have processes only on the paper.

Purchasing Documents

Supplier Evaluation example forms

Purchasing Procedure examples

Hope this helps:bigwave:

G

GrosChat

thanks,

My company runs a software designed in-house to control the entire business. It allows us to place an order with a supplier and automatically records the day you send it, what day you want it delivered, etc...
When it arrives, you can book it into the system, ticking certain boxes such as: delivery leadtime / Quantity / Quality / Paperwork. It is a kind a quick rating.
You can then select one supplier and look how consistant they are.
I also keep a list of Approved Supplier, but it is more like a Rating exercise and Quality certs collection!
Once a year, I send a bunch of emails to ask for the new certificates and rate suppliers accordingly.
I would say, as long as you keep your supplier certificates updated and maybe measure your suppliers against delivery leadtime and quality, that should do. The auditor always likes looking at graphs showing the results of the analysis.
Hope this helps a bit.

Top Bottom