Requirements for an MDD approved device after 26/05/2021

Hi all,
Thank you for the valuable information in the forum.

Our company has recently received its MDD certification for our class IIb device that will be valid until 2024.
As we are located outside the EU, we have a signed agreement with and EAR for the MDD.
We plan to keep the MDD certificate for at least until 2022.

I am trying to understand how to properly be ready for 26/05/2021, as I have received contradicting inputs -
1. If our NB will not be accredited to audit according to the MDR. Will they still be allowed to audit us according to MDD after 25/05/2021 ?​
As I understand that there are a few new requirements taking effect following this date, even for MDD approved devices.​
2. Our EAR, requires us to sign a new contract with them before 25/05/2021. Is that a requirement for all EARs ?​
3. Is our company have to have a PRRC after 25/05/2021 even if we still operating under the MDD?​
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Raisin picker

Involved In Discussions
Hi MedicalResp,

1. My understanding is, if your NB applied for MDR and is just not yet notified, they will be able to audit you under MDD regulations. If they did not apply for MDR, or somehow managed to get a final "no", you need a new NB. See article 120 (3) and 123 (3a).
2. No idea
3. You have to follow the "requirements of this Regulation relating to post-market surveillance, market surveillance, vigilance, registration of economic operators and of devices" (article 120 (3)). The PRRC is needed at least for registration of devices (art 29), PMS, reporting. Since these fall under the activities named in art. 120, I'd strongly recommend to have that person available.

HTH

monoj mon

Involved In Discussions
2. Our EAR, requires us to sign a new contract with them before 25/05/2021. Is that a requirement for all EARs ?
I am not sure whether it is a requirement or not, but many EAR are doing it as they will take more risk and liability under MDR on behalf of the manufacturer. So you can expect to see more terms and conditions in your new agreement with your EAR.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Essential Requirements Checklist - (MDD 93/42 / EEC) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Sam Lazzara EU MDR Safety & Performance Requirements vs. MDD ERs (June 2017) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F MDD Article 12 Labeling Requirements for CE Marked Medical Device - Help CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
S 100% Final Inspection Requirements of Active Medical Devices (MDD or IEC Standards?) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Identifying gaps over ISO 13485 to be compliant to MDD 93/42/EEC requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Canada - Essential Requirements Checklist for MDD 93/42/EEC Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
E Question on approval of the EU Essential Requirements Matrix - MDD Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A MDD 93/42 EEC - Requirements for Detachable Medical Device Components EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S MDD 93/42 Annex I 12.3 - Medical Device Electrical Alarm Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Internal Auditing of MDD and CMDR Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
B Bangladesh Class IIA Medical Device MDD Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
B Article 12 MDD... Procedure packs! Requirements to Repack already CE Marked Products EU Medical Device Regulations 4
I MDD: CE Marking Labeling Requirements - Two questions... CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
S MDD 93/42/EEC Essential Requirements and Safety definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Address on Label Requirements (MDD Annex I 13.3(a)) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D MDD (Medical Device Directive) 6.1 Record Retention Requirements question Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
R CRO (Contract Research Organization) Requirements for MDD Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 5
W Auditing to multiple standards & requirements - CMDR, MDD, ISO13485, QSR. General Auditing Discussions 3
M Non EU Translation Requirements - MDD Directive 2007/47/ec - Instructions for Use EU Medical Device Regulations 7
P Essential Requirements checklist as per unrevised MDD (MDD 93/42/EEC) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T MDD Essential Requirements Checklist in accordance with MDD 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K New MDD requirements & Software Interface EU Medical Device Regulations 7
I Essential Requirements Checklist for MDD 2007/47 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
J Post-Market Surveillance required by the EU's MDD vs. ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 55
W MDD (Medical Device Directive) Essential Requirements Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
M Validation Requirements - ISO 13485 / MDD Technical File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Essential Requirements Of A Technical File - ISO13485 / Health Canada / MDD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T Requirements for Declaration of Conformity - Compliance to MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 26
N CE Marking MDD & EN 980 Labeling Requirements, IFU, Packaging, etc. EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Label Translation SOP - MDD or ISO 13485 requirements? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D Labeling requirements for reagents, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Addiotional National requirements for placing MD in the EU countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 4
T Controlled Forms or documented requirements for records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
L Exemption from the Regulation COVID-19 and QMS requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A ANSI/AAMI versions of 60601-1-2 and related testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
S PSW - Requirements for "off-the shelf" component that has multiply manufacturing locations Off the Shelf Item Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
A Does ISO 9001:2015 cover all the requirements of ISO 10012:2003? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Non-EU Language Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A Baby food manufacture - food safety requirements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
S Forced ServiceNow validation - No change in our current user and functional requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 6