SBS - The best value in QMS software

Requirements for Contract Manufacturers

My company was recently audited by NB and was given a finding because the audit criteria used to audit a Supplier - Contract Manufacturer - was not audited first to ISO13485:2016 and then to MDSAP or MDR. The audit was conducted to ISO9001 as the supplier was 9001 certified. I accept they should have been audited to ISO13485 but I am confused as to the MDSAP and MDR requirement.
The CM in question is based in US so understand that 21 CFR is applicable but I presume that is all? Can anyone clarify? We do sell the product in Austrialia, Canada and Brazil but as my company is the Legal Manufacturer I presume we must meet TGA, HC and ANVISA requirements and not the CM?
We also sell the product in EU so does MDR apply to CM? I would have thought it applies to the Legal Manufacturer only.
I tried to get some further info from the auditor but didnt get very far!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Sure thanks in advance. It was during our MDSAP surveillance audit:
Requirement:
Clause 4.1.5
When the organization chooses to outsource any process that affects product conformity with requirements, it shall monitor and ensure control over such processes. The organization shall retain responsibility of conformity to this International Standard and to customer and applicable regulatory requirements for outsourced processes. The controls shall be proportionate to the risk involved and the ability of the external party to meet the requirements in accordance with 7.4. The controls shall include written quality agreements.
Finding
The control over outsourced process is not fully effective as:
It isn't clear how the organization ensures conformity of the sampled outsourced processes to this international standard
Evidence
Supplier Audit Repot for Contract Maufacturer (subcontract manufacturer deemed to be a high risk supplier, audit criteria used ISO 9001).
It also did not include MDSAP requirements within the audit scope.

On discussion with the auditor they suggested we update our Supplier Aduit procedure to state that we audit our Contract Manufacturing Suppliers to ISO13485:2016 including MDSAP requirements (specific for the countries we sell the product into). They didnt give a finding on the MDR portion but in the discussion said the same would be expected when it comes to MDR i.e. include MDR in the audit criteria when auditing a CM. I went to update our procedure but I am a bit confused as I didnt think MDSAP would app;ly to our CMs.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Pay close attention to sections 3 & 5 of the document available @ http://www.doks.nbog.eu/Doks/NBOG_BPG_2010_1.pdf

You, the legal manufacturer, has the responsibility to ensure that all of the relevant regulatory requirements are being complied with, during the WHOLE product realization, distribution and placement in to the market. So, if there are legal requirements that affect the assembly, marking, testing, etc. of the product, and such processes happen at your CM premises, you should verify that they are part of your critical supplier audit scope.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Q FDA Requirements for Contract Manufacturers and OTC products US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
C FDA requirements for Contract Manufacturers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T PPAP Requirements for Contract Manufacturers APQP and PPAP 4
M New Medical Device Contract Manufacturers Excise Tax Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
T Korean requirements for foreign medical device contract manufacturers? Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Interesting Discussion The legal aspects of Customer Specific Requirements (Contract Law). IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
G ISO 13485:2016 and regulatory requirements - Contract Manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
W Requirements for Contract Manufacturing of a Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Process Development Requirements for a Contract Manufacturer with no Design Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
M Government Contract Product Realization Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JoCam EASA Regulatory Requirements for Electronics Contract Manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Class 1 Medical Device Contract Manufacturer Technical File Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Medical Devices and US Govenment Contract Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
G Audit Nonconformance - 7.2.2 - Contract Review (Review of Requirements) Contract Review Process 16
B Differentiating between "Review of Requirements" and "Contract Review" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R 7.2.1 Customer Requirements Checklist for a Small Contract Manufacturing Machine Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
G Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
R CRO (Contract Research Organization) Requirements for MDD Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M FDA QSR Requirements - Checklist for Class II Medical Device Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Requirements of Contract Manufacturing in respect to GMP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
B Requirements for AS9100 Contract Machine Shop in FAA Certification Process Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
T Internal audits shall also meet contract and/or regulatory requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D How to phrase transportation contract requirements for EMS? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
E Contract manufacturer seeking help understanding ISO 13485 Validation requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S ISO 9001 Section 7 Requirements - Contract assembly ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D LiPo battery minimum requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
V MDSAP Requirements for Device Designer Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
J Biocompatbility testing on Class 1 device requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S What are the International Forging Requirements for Nitrogen Strengthened Stainless Steel? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 10
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Distributor requirements in US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K AS9100D 8.2.1 Review Requirements for Products and Services AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
F Environmental Requirements E-Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
T 21 CFR 820.20 - Quality Planning Requirements? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Composites - Freezer sensor requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
M IEC 61010-1 requirements for motors Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
J Requirements for registering Alcohol Wipes (70% IPA) in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
Ed Panek IFU Contact Requirements - FDA and MDD/MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
N German National Requirements - Safety Officer/Authorised Rep Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Traceability of requirements to design and risk Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
F USB powered handheld medical device - Isolation requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Class I (exempt) testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
J Saudi Arabia Technical File Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1