Requirements for Contract Manufacturing of a Medical Device

WilBryan

Involved In Discussions
Can someone help me locate the requirements for contract manufacturing of a Medical Device?

Our company is a 9001:2015 & 13485:2016 registered engineering and build to print firm. We specialize in capital equipment but have also done end product in low volumes. We have taken an exclusion to 13485 - 7.3 as we do not design or build medical devices. We only carry the certificate to help understand the needs of capital equipment customers who use the automation cells we build to produce medical devices (think 'machine that makes syringes').

Our sales team is consulting with a company who has a 510K on a Class II medical device. They are looking for engineering work to make some minor changes to their device (component size, user interface, etc.).

I want to make sure we do not run afoul of the FDA as we are not currently registered with them.

Ultimate answers (I think) I am looking for...
1. Would we be required to register with the FDA to make design changes to an existing medical device we were not the end manufacturer of?
2. Would we be considered as doing 'design and development' if we are not the company who produces the medical device?

Any help would be appreciated... The body of knowledge and experience here never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm a bit confused about who the manufacturer of record is. Is that your company or someone else?

The requirements for a (contract) manufacturer are defined in the QSR and 13485. If you (as manufacturer of record) happen to contract manufacturing out then you need to ensure that they comply with the requirements.

If you're talking about FDA registration, as far as I know, only manufacturers need to be registered (don't know of any requirements for design shops to register).

If your ISO scope does not include design services, then you would be running afoul of your own procedures. (And if the company that is hiring you is basing their requirements / approval off your ISO cert then they have not selected correctly since design is not in your scope... if that's the case).

If I misunderstood, my apologies (it's late Friday and has been a loooong week).

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Our sales team is consulting with a company who has a 510K on a Class II medical device. They are looking for engineering work to make some minor changes to their device (component size, user interface, etc.).

I want to make sure we do not run afoul of the FDA as we are not currently registered with them.

1. Would we be required to register with the FDA to make design changes to an existing medical device we were not the end manufacturer of?
2. Would we be considered as doing 'design and development' if we are not the company who produces the medical device?
I’d like some clarification please, concerning the phrase I bolded-up. By “engineering work” and so forth do you mean design only, or physical works to modify already-manufactured devices?

WilBryan

Involved In Discussions
Depending on the customer both. In the instance at hand now, we are being asked to make design changes that are small and will not require a new 510k

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
In the instance at hand now, we are being asked to make design changes that are small and will not require a new 510k
I’m only relating to the instance at hand now.

1. In the FDA context you’ll be acting as a supplier, a service provider / a design provider. Suppliers who are not Contract Manufacturers from the FDA perspective (doesn’t matter that you might be from other perspectives) are not required to register with the FDA.

2. From the ISO 13485 angle I would say that yes, you’ll be considered as doing 'design and development', even if you are not the company who produces the medical device, and even if it’s “only” a design change (that does/doesn’t require a 510(k) - not relevant for ISO 13485 considerations).

WilBryan

Involved In Discussions
We are not the manufacturer of record. The customer is actually using a third party company who specializes in very low volume medical device design. They will be the Manufacturer. We would be acting only as a design house.

If we are not designing the end product, only reducing size elements etc. it still qualifies as a medical device? I figured as much. SO, clear with the FDA but ISO world we are designing and shouldn't take the exception.

Does anyone have a section or page reference for the definition of Contract Manufacturer per the FDA? I've been through the fda.gov site and haven't seen any clear indication of what they consider as contract manufacturing.

thanks everyone for the help and advice!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
We are not the manufacturer of record. The customer is actually using a third party company who specializes in very low volume medical device design. They will be the Manufacturer. We would be acting only as a design house.
That is understood, and doesn’t change my previous opinions.

If we are not designing the end product, only reducing size elements etc. it still qualifies as a medical device?
It used to (officially) matter with ISO 13485:2003, which was created with only finished devices manufacturers in mind (practically in recent years it was used by many other types of orgs and certifying bodies kinda went with the flow and allowed it). Anyway, the 2016 revision was intentionally adjusted to suit any and all kinds of entities along the medical devices supply chain, so the question of whether you’re dealing with the actual finished device (or finished device design) is less relevant now. As long as you’re modifying some of the medical device design, you’re involved in design & development for ISO 13485:2016 purposes.

Does anyone have a section or page reference for the definition of Contract Manufacturer per the FDA? I've been through the fda.gov site and haven't seen any clear indication of what they consider as contract manufacturing.
The definition I’m used to working with is in this page, reproduced below:

Contract Manufacturer - Manufactures a finished device to another establishment's specifications.
(I added the emphasis)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G ISO 13485:2016 and regulatory requirements - Contract Manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
R 7.2.1 Customer Requirements Checklist for a Small Contract Manufacturing Machine Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
G Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
W Requirements of Contract Manufacturing in respect to GMP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Interesting Discussion The legal aspects of Customer Specific Requirements (Contract Law). IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q FDA Requirements for Contract Manufacturers and OTC products US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
R Process Development Requirements for a Contract Manufacturer with no Design Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
C FDA requirements for Contract Manufacturers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Government Contract Product Realization Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T PPAP Requirements for Contract Manufacturers APQP and PPAP 4
M New Medical Device Contract Manufacturers Excise Tax Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
JoCam EASA Regulatory Requirements for Electronics Contract Manufacturer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Class 1 Medical Device Contract Manufacturer Technical File Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Medical Devices and US Govenment Contract Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
G Audit Nonconformance - 7.2.2 - Contract Review (Review of Requirements) Contract Review Process 16
B Differentiating between "Review of Requirements" and "Contract Review" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R CRO (Contract Research Organization) Requirements for MDD Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M FDA QSR Requirements - Checklist for Class II Medical Device Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Requirements for AS9100 Contract Machine Shop in FAA Certification Process Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
T Internal audits shall also meet contract and/or regulatory requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Korean requirements for foreign medical device contract manufacturers? Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
D How to phrase transportation contract requirements for EMS? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
E Contract manufacturer seeking help understanding ISO 13485 Validation requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S ISO 9001 Section 7 Requirements - Contract assembly ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A Class I (exempt) testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
J Saudi Arabia Technical File Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
N Help with basic understanding of Competence requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Test requirements for marketing in US when RATED values are not of US IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
John Broomfield Vote - Should ISO9004 Become a Requirements Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Registration requirements for custom branded device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A User interface Language Requirements - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Which guidance do you use for guiding the requirements of IFU for 510(k) submission? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
O IATF 16949 News Ford Motors Customer Specific Requirements Update - Nov 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.3 - Review of the requirements for products and services in a Cafe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
JoCam Rental, service & installation - regulatory requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G MDR translation requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
D Labeling requirements for reagents, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Additional National requirements for placing MD in the EU countries EU Medical Device Regulations 7
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
T Controlled Forms or documented requirements for records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2