Requirements for Laboratories performing ASTM Tests

M

mooi mooi

We normally get audits from the NSF and this years audit the auditor gave us a non compliace saying that two of our components are not tested to the ASTM method.
Question is do i need to send the components to an ASTM approved lab for conducting this test or is it suffice just to do the test anywhere as long as the lab is certified by ASTM . Can i do the test here in my lab according to the ASTM condition and the whole report will be sent to NSF. Is this acceptable?
Please advise.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
We normally get audits from the NSF and this years audit the auditor gave us a non compliance saying that two of our components are not tested to the ASTM method.
Question is do i need to send the components to an ASTM approved lab for conducting this test or is it suffice just to do the test anywhere as long as the lab is certified by ASTM. Can i do the test here in my lab according to the ASTM condition and the whole report will be sent to NSF. Is this acceptable?
Please advise.

Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!!

Stijloor.

JeantheBigone

Quite Involved in Discussions
As far as I know, ASTM does not approve laboratories. ASTM maintains a list of labs on their site, but all those labs did was pay ASTM for the advertising.

ASTM has not attempted to investigate, rate, endorse, approve or certify any laboratory. Each laboratory has paid ASTM a fee for their listing. The cost is just $135 for a 12 month listing. For an additional $75 each, you can become a Sponsored Listing and have your listing appear in the top search results as well as appear highlighted on the results list or add a 10-page PDF to your listing as well providing prospective customer with more information about your services.
http://www.astm.org/LABS/search.html

There are a variety of accreditation /certification options for testing laboratories, including A2LA, NADCAP, ISO 17025 and even NSF.

If NSF refers to the National Sanitation Foundation, then I would think that since NSF themselves certifies organizations, that it is enough that the test is done according to the ASTM standard. Otherwise I would think they would have to state which accreditation / certification applies.

R

Rafael61

It is suffice just to do the test anywhere as long as the lab is accredited to the related ASTM test method used.

N

ndted

ASTM's are generally method standards to govern how something is done or what it must meet. As has already been stated, a facility is not accredited to ASTM. If your company can meet the specific ASTM requirements outlined in the document, you can perform it, but look for quality control provisions in the document that would require you to document something as evidence of you meeting the requirements.

There's my 2 cents worth - for free.

Top Bottom