Requirements for PCB Component Replacements in an IEC 60601-1 Compliant Device

N

nbarabino

Hello

We have an IEC 60601-1 Third Edition compliant product (USB powered) which has to have one PCB mounted component replaced due to stock concerns. We have found a substitute with identical electrical function and package (DIP).

Is there any compliance test that has to be repeated? Upon our assesment there is nothing that may change the test results with the new component.

Thank you for your help

Regards
Nicol

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

nbarabino

Hi, I'm sorry I should have given more details on the device.

I said no because the device has no patient connections (it's a wireless transmitter to communicate with an implantable device), an therefore the failure of the regulator may only have effect on the wireless link, which has been rated as not critical.

We haven't consulted yet our test house.

Hi, I'm sorry I should have given more details on the device.

I said no because the device has no patient connections (it's a wireless transmitter to communicate with an implantable device), an therefore the failure of the regulator may only have effect on the wireless link, which has been rated as not critical.

We haven't consulted yet our test house.
If this determines performance of an implant device, then performance failure is safety critical to the patient. Under your circumstances, I would discuss at length with the test house.
Note: Are both the earlier device and the replaced device carry some sort of safety mark like the UL mark ? Has this been one of the requirements written in your design dossier.

N

nbarabino

I'm checking now, but I am pretty sure that the telemetry is not safety critical for the patient. In this case will still be needed to repeat tests?

Regarding UL mark: The new device has it, not the old one, and it was not on the requirements.

D

Dimitri2

Just if the telemetry would be safety critical, the whole thing would IMHO cramble down.
You can never rely on radio link for safety. And if you do... Well :)

So, I think you will not have to repeat tests. But you will have to explain in the risk assesment why you think it is not critical. Ask your auditing person (we have a company which visits us once a year just to confirm our overall certification). At the end, this company says to us if tests are sufficient and new are needed.

Peter Selvey

Leader
Super Moderator
I think there may be a basic point of confusion here. For a medical device, just about every part is "safety critical" because it relates somehow to the function.

But, for product certification, they have a "scope of test" and/or scope of certification, which is usually far more narrow. For starters, in UL 60601 the scope is limited to direct hazards (see the definition of safety in the standard), which means cases where harm is caused by a physical "thing" coming out of the device such as electricity, heat, fire or mechanical movement. Indirect harm, such as failure to alarm or misdiagnosis are not covered (it is in the 3rd edition, but that's a different story).

Next, UL's product certification scope is further limited to "ELECTRICAL SHOCK, FIRE AND MECHANICAL HAZARDS ONLY" (have a look at your UL Online Certification, and click on the link "See General Information ... ").

So, while the part in question could be safety critical, it's not likely to be something UL is interested in. Keep in mind, just testing to UL 60601-1 itself is already a large amount of work, and certification agencies like UL don't really have the time, resources or expertise to be handling "safety" in the full regulatory context. They are interested in changes to parts which form part of electrical isolation barriers, limit fire, leakage current, over temperature and so on, i.e. direct hazards.

N

nbarabino

Thank you both.

I will further analyse the associated risk and let you know if retesting is needed.

Regards

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B China GB4943.1 Safety Requirements - PCB Markings China Medical Device Regulations 0
A IEC 60601 Creepage and Clearance Requirements on PCB IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Qualification and Acceptance Requirements of PCB's from Multiple Suppliers Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
JoCam PCB Functional Test Equipment Regulations and Requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
S PCB Handling Requirements - What to do if we drop a PCB during the assembly Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Shopfloor drawings & manufacturing requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Sidney Vianna ISO 37301 - Compliance management systems – Requirements with guidance for use Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
W Insulation requirements of HV pulse circuits IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
C I need some clearing on requirements of Asuring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Drawing Requirements for Catalog Items (Class II Medical Device) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Sidney Vianna IAF PR 7:2022 - Requirements for Producing IAF Mandatory Documents on Transitions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
L TGA Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F GM BIQS level 4 requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Aliken Registration veterinary medical device (laser) requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
S Labeling requirements for class 1, fashion sunglasses US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R IVD Label Change Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Organisational chart requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Labelling and UDI Requirements - Implications of serial numbers US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Revamping Supplier Qualification, Re-evaluation, and Monitoring Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Notification Requirements for Medical Device Raw Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M ISO 20417:2021, Requirements for e-doc 6.6.5 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J NMPA translation requirements? China Medical Device Regulations 3
R Labeling requirements for single use devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D "FAI" Requirements/Process for New Supplier Materials Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C FDA 510k documentation requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
D 8.5.1.2 Validation and control of special processes requirements for Heat Treat External Processor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D MDR classification and DoC requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Mandatory Languages Requirements for Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Legacy Device UDI Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P Customer Specific Requirements (Costco Wholesale) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F Self-test minimum requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
H Regarding EMC & Safety retesting requirements of the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Link Between Essential Performance Requirements and Essential Design Outputs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
DuncanGibbons Typical Surface Roughness Requirements for Aviation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Requirements for ANSI Z540.3 Compliance as End User of Calibrated Instruments AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
M Requirements ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Ajit Basrur Any standards relating to ESG requirements? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
D Direct-Marking Requirements under MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Ford CSR Cpk/Ppk Requirements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Sam Lazzara Record signature requirements in proposed FDA 21 CFR 820 QMS Regulation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
E Import requirements in UK? UK Medical Device Regulations 1
R FDA ECG Data Requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
D Locking Control Limits and SPC Sample Sizes (AIAG/Automotive Requirements) Six Sigma 2
M Early feasibility study V&V requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
G Legal & Reg. Requirements - ISO9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
J UDI and Labelling hierarchy and requirements for separate device components EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Requirements to claim Made in China Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
A ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements- Assess and Record validity Previous measuring results ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Class III device and shelf life data requirements US Medical Device Regulations 7
J Quick question on responsible person's experience requirements UK Medical Device Regulations 3