SBS - The best value in QMS software

Requirements for Software to be CE Mark Compliant - IEC 62304 Medical Device Software

A

aeropel

Where can I find a Checklist for what exactly is required from my software to be CE mark compliant? (bassed on IEC 62304 I presume)

Thanks a lot

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Requirements for Software to be CE Mark Compliant - IEC 62304 Medical Device Soft

Hello there!
The "checklist" is the MDD itself and the corresponding MEDDEV guidances to be honest.
Here is the link for the MDD:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31993L0042:en:NOT

IEC/ISO 62304 has no direct connection to CE marking in my view. With other words, compliance with this IEC/ISO 62304 does not allow you in any means to affix the CE mark.
That's my recollection.

Cheers!

A

aeropel

Re: Requirements for Software to be CE Mark Compliant - IEC 62304 Medical Device Soft

Hi Sagai,

Thanks for info. I now that 62034 is not enough for CE. In my case - being the software a class IIa device - it requires an NB approval. But the auditors check that the software life cycle respects the harmonized standard that they claim to be the IEC 62034. My understanding is that the software has to meet IEC 60601-1 for the relevant items only. (excluding EMC for example.)

sagai

There is no "has to" for these standards.
It is purely up to you if you use or not use them.
Cheers!

A

aeropel

I had to send my technical file for auditing and got a non conformity for USING the IEC 60601-1-4 while I was supposed to use the IEC 62034 as per the auditors....

sagai

I think unless you determine volunteer compliance to any standard apart from ISO13485 and ISO14971 in your quality policy, all you need to be in place is your view over your compliance with the essential requirements defined in the corresponding MDD.
One angle looks correct from your auditor is that you have nothing to do with IEC 60601 due to that is for electrical programmable devices, whereas your software only device is not that kind.
Cheers!

ps.: if you really keen on this 62304 compliance a food of though would be to list all of the requirements in this standard and next to them list the things you have in place that addresses the particular requirement.
Again, your compliance with essential requirements are the one is required.

IEC (EN) 60601-1-4 has been superseded.

The requirements from that standard are now covered by IEC 60601-1 Clause 14.

It might seen daft to use 60601-1 for a standalone software project but it is certainly possible.

Remember that 62304 does not cover the validation requirements (which 60601-1 cl.14 does). See the diagram in Annex C of 62304 showing the 'V model'.

And it is Validation that is directly referred to in the Essential Requirements - ER12.1a)... software must be validated according to the state of the art....

sagai

Pads, you are lighting up a million gallons gasoline tank with referring to this miserable, ambiguous and vague "state of the art" statement. :popcorn:
Cheers! :)

A

aeropel

So IEC 6060-1 clause 14 is sufficient?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Requirements for the dimensions / color of medical device labels - Software as a Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K Labeling requirements - Date of manufacture for software devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
D Essential Requirements Checklist for Standalone Software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
R FDA Requirements - Printing Equipment Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R CNC Software Validation requirements as per ISO 13485:2016 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
C Software for Medical Devices - Requirements Content for compliance with IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
J PMA Device - Lot # change in New ERP Software - What are the FDA Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
H UDI (Unique Device Identification) Requirements for IVD Software EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S PEMS Documentation for Medical Device Software - Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
T ISO 62304 - Software requirements content IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
K DHR approval requirements for stand-alone software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Q CE-Labeling requirements: Year of manufacture for Software EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Document Management Software : Validation and other requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 8
A Regulation / Requirements about dump/crash files for medical device software Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K What are the minimum requirements for Process Validation (Software)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K ISO 13485 requirements for Stand Alone Medical Device Software (Class II a) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
U Language requirements - Software interface - Japan and South Korea Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
R Labeling, translation requirements including software interface: EU & other markets EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S South Korea Ultrasound Software Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E FDA Requirements for Implantable Medical Device Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Are Software Requirements Specifications part of Design Input? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T IEC 60601 3rd Labeling Requirements and Software GUI IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R ISO 13485 Software Validation Requirements - Help needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R EU requirements for Hospital Use Health IT software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Can the Integrated Test be linked to Software Requirements? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 13
X EtO Steriliser Software (PACS) Update Validation Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
R Cloud Computing Requirements for Design History Files for Software Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G China SFDA Medical Device Software Requirements China Medical Device Regulations 15
A OTS and SOUP Software Documentation Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
T Embedded software requirements - Developer test tools within the same code Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Comments Required Regarding a Software Requirements Phase Tool Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
R Only Commissioning Software? COTS, GAMP Category 3 Software Validation Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
F Periodic Review Requirements for Software - Medical DeviceS Software Quality Assurance 2
F ISO 13485 & FDA Requirements - What kinds of software require validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Software Program Development GAMP Requirements Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Q Software Validation - FDA Regulations and Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
R Software System Inputs and Outputs - IEC 62304 5.2.2 - Software Requirements Content IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
T Quality Compliance Software to meet ISO 13485 QMS and 21 CFR 820 Requirements Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
J Medical Software Regulatory Requirements for South America and Middle East Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Language Translation Requirements for Software Interface in EU Countries EU Medical Device Regulations 10
A Software Validation Requirements for Class I Active Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Medical Device Software Verification Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
V ISO 26262 - How to handle OEM ASIL A (Automotive Software Integrity Requirements) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
L Regulatory Requirements for Medical Devices (Standalone-software) in Brunei Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
G Medical Device Software Translation Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7