Requirements in TS for PPAP - Full PPAP or as per Customer Requirement?

H

haueyman

We recently have gone through our TS audit and the auditor was asking for a PPAP, we showed a level 1 PPAP to him. After looking it over he wanted to see the full PPAP, CP, FMEA, dimensionals etc. We told him that we did not have those for this PPAP due to it being a level 1 PPAP. He explained that every time a PPAP is done a full PPAP is required but you only send what the customer is wanting.

Is this correct, every time a PPAP is done, a full PPAP is done but you only send what the customer wants? Where is this stated in the TS manual? any help on this would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Requirements in TS for PPAP

Is this correct, every time a PPAP is done, a full PPAP is done but you only send what the customer wants? Where is this stated in the TS manual? any help on this would be appreciated.
Hi, Haueyman -

Yes, this is correct. It does not state it in the TS manual - it is stated in the PPAP manual. I'm going from memory but I believe it is in section I.2 PPAP Process Requirements and says something like "The supplier shall have the applicable items and records listed below ... regardless of the part submission level."

I don't believe that ISO/TS 16949 actually requires any PPAP - it's a customer requirement. But I'm working from memory and it's been a while since I dealt with the standard.

Sounds like your auditor is working from their bias(es) rather than from requirements. Did you get them to show you were the requirement actually says this? It doesn't sound like they made it a 'recordable' issue (NC or similar) but it might be a 'warning shot' which will become an nc next visit......

Whatever, I'm sure one of our up-to-date TS folks here will add the detail we're looking for.

H

haueyman

I don't believe that ISO/TS 16949 actually requires any PPAP - it's a customer requirement. But I'm working from memory and it's been a while since I dealt with the standard.

Sounds like your auditor is working from their bias(es) rather than from requirements. Did you get them to show you were the requirement actually says this? It doesn't sound like they made it a 'recordable' issue (NC or similar) but it might be a 'warning shot' which will become an nc next visit......

Whatever, I'm sure one of our up-to-date TS folks here will add the detail we're looking for.
Luckily it did not turn out to much no NC. I was not here due to a surgery so I am going from what was told to me.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

PPAP is required.

From ISO/TS 16949:2002:

7.3.6.3 Product approval process

The organization shall conform to a product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer.

NOTE Product approval should be subsequent to the verification of the manufacturing process.

This product and manufacturing process approval procedure shall also be applied to suppliers.

The PPAP manual provides the details.

The Customer determines the submission level.

You must have all PPAP items available, whether or not the Customer requires submission. (See PPAP for the specifics.)

Stijloor.

H

haueyman

Thank you Stijloor, this is why I asked the question concerning this. I always know I can come here and find what I need.

P

prototyper

PPAP is required.

From ISO/TS 16949:2002:

7.3.6.3 Product approval process

The organization shall conform to a product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer.

NOTE Product approval should be subsequent to the verification of the manufacturing process.

This product and manufacturing process approval procedure shall also be applied to suppliers.

The PPAP manual provides the details.

The Customer determines the submission level.

You must have all PPAP items available, whether or not the Customer requires submission. (See PPAP for the specifics.)

Stijloor.
Also see 7.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design output :-
The manufacturing process design output shall include
- specifications and drawings,
- manufacturing process flow chart/layout,
- manufacturing process FMEAs,
- control plan (see 7.5.1.1),
- work instructions,
- process approval acceptance criteria,
- data for quality, reliability, maintainability and measurability,
- results of error-proofing activities, as appropriate, and
- methods of rapid detection and feedback of product/manufacturing process nonconformities.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Great to see someone else grappling with the same issues we do! We tend to do the same, submit what we have to and not thinking about what we don't have to submit.

It raises a good illustration how some elements are simply given lip service (I am by no means suggesting the OP pays lip-service to everything!!!), but we often see the requirements being fulfilled as a means of pacifying a customer rather than the thing in question (in this instance a PPAP), providing value!

In this instance, technically how can you submit a L1 PPAP (PSW and Appearance Approval), without the data to support that PSW? That supporting data will come from the rest of the PPAP items.

It could be argued that if the customer only wants a L1 PPAP (and therefore they trust supply chain follows the PPAP process and uses it to assure product conformance) why can we not do the same? However, if you actually make something and are not just a 3rd party in between manufacture and the customer, then TS does have clauses relating to certain elements of PPAP anyway, such as Control Plan, MSA, validation activities etc...

tyker

Involved - Posts
The auditor is correct and this has been a common finding ever since the QS-9000 days.

Remember that you don't have to create all new documents everytime. You can carry over pertinent records from previous submissions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 22
eule del ayre List of Level 3 PPAP requirements for automotive suppliers APQP and PPAP 20
P Paint shop vs PPAP requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
G Supply Chain PPAP Requirements APQP and PPAP 10
P Automotive Supplier PPAP Level Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
G PPAP 4th edition or VDA - VW Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
Y Customer Specific PPAP Level 3/4 Requirements - Fastener Manufacturer APQP and PPAP 2
A Cost of Deviating Away From PPAP Requirements APQP and PPAP 3
V Inactive Gauge Retention Time - PPAP Section 6 Requirements APQP and PPAP 1
I AS9100 PPAP requirements for outside Heat Treat vendors/suppiers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
M PPAP requirements when adding Part Transfer Robots between Machines APQP and PPAP 1
P Bulk Material Requirements Checklist to send along with my PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
B Bulk Materials (Lead {Pb} Alloys) PPAP Requirements APQP and PPAP 5
T PPAP Requirements for Contract Manufacturers APQP and PPAP 4
J PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Requirements for Annual Revalidations APQP and PPAP 1
V PPAP Requirements including GMW 3179 Zinc Plating Specification Requirements APQP and PPAP 3
V PPAP Requirements for Plating a "Family of Parts" APQP and PPAP 8
P PPAP Requirements for Sub-Assemblies APQP and PPAP 6
V Plating Supplier PPAP Revalidation Requirements - A-Coat GM 9984132 Plating Process APQP and PPAP 1
V PPAP - Requirements when Cpk is <1.67 - 100% Sort for Defectives APQP and PPAP 8
R Does anyone have the list of Toyota PPAP requirements? APQP and PPAP 6
M For Bulk Material (eg. paint), are there any guidelines for Ford PPAP Requirements? APQP and PPAP 1
B TS16949 Annual PPAP Submission Requirements for Ford and Chrysler Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B TS 16949 PPAP/ Layout Inspection Frequency Requirements APQP and PPAP 8
Q Level of PPAP - Bulk Chemicals Supplier Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
F PPAP Material Test Results Requirements - Material Supplier Identification QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
S PPAP Requirements for Submission to our Customers for a New Supplier APQP and PPAP 1
Q Supplier PPAP Requirements - TS 16949 Clause 7.3.6.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S Can PPAP be submitted when not all customer requirements can be met? APQP and PPAP 5
K Supplier PPAP Requirements - Level 3 or Level 4 APQP and PPAP 6
J PPAP Requirements - Suppliers who are changing their Suppliers APQP and PPAP 7
L PPAP List Requirements - Molds, Tools or the Checking Tools? APQP and PPAP 5
J Requirements for Retaining PPAP Master Samples APQP and PPAP 2
J Prior Notice of Sub-Supplier or Material Source Change - PPAP Requirements Question APQP and PPAP 13
J PPAP Requirements Question APQP and PPAP 4
S PPAP requirements for sub-suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
C Honda PPAP requirements APQP and PPAP 8
S Are the AIAG document (FMEA, PPAP, SPC, MSA, APQP) guidelines or requirements FMEA and Control Plans 6
K PPAP Requirements for Raw / Bulk Materials? APQP and PPAP 6
R GM revised its Specific Requirements for TS16949 and PPAP 4th, effective immediately Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
B PPAP Document Submission and Retention requirements APQP and PPAP 21
B PPAP Requirements - Laboratory results and IMDS system RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 12
M DaimlerChrysler (DCX) Customer Specific Requirements for PPAP 4th Edition Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
Sidney Vianna Chrysler Customer Specific Requirements For PPAP 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
antoine.dias Customer Specific Requirements and PPAP submissions APQP and PPAP 13
T PPAP requirements - Supplier's supplier's quality certificate and IMDS documentation RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 31
Y PPAP requirements: Submission date and PSW (Statistical Process Package) APQP and PPAP 6