Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Requirements in TS for PPAP - Full PPAP or as per Customer Requirement?

H

haueyman

We recently have gone through our TS audit and the auditor was asking for a PPAP, we showed a level 1 PPAP to him. After looking it over he wanted to see the full PPAP, CP, FMEA, dimensionals etc. We told him that we did not have those for this PPAP due to it being a level 1 PPAP. He explained that every time a PPAP is done a full PPAP is required but you only send what the customer is wanting.

Is this correct, every time a PPAP is done, a full PPAP is done but you only send what the customer wants? Where is this stated in the TS manual? any help on this would be appreciated.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Requirements in TS for PPAP

Is this correct, every time a PPAP is done, a full PPAP is done but you only send what the customer wants? Where is this stated in the TS manual? any help on this would be appreciated.
Hi, Haueyman -

Yes, this is correct. It does not state it in the TS manual - it is stated in the PPAP manual. I'm going from memory but I believe it is in section I.2 PPAP Process Requirements and says something like "The supplier shall have the applicable items and records listed below ... regardless of the part submission level."

I don't believe that ISO/TS 16949 actually requires any PPAP - it's a customer requirement. But I'm working from memory and it's been a while since I dealt with the standard.

Sounds like your auditor is working from their bias(es) rather than from requirements. Did you get them to show you were the requirement actually says this? It doesn't sound like they made it a 'recordable' issue (NC or similar) but it might be a 'warning shot' which will become an nc next visit......

Whatever, I'm sure one of our up-to-date TS folks here will add the detail we're looking for.

H

haueyman

I don't believe that ISO/TS 16949 actually requires any PPAP - it's a customer requirement. But I'm working from memory and it's been a while since I dealt with the standard.

Sounds like your auditor is working from their bias(es) rather than from requirements. Did you get them to show you were the requirement actually says this? It doesn't sound like they made it a 'recordable' issue (NC or similar) but it might be a 'warning shot' which will become an nc next visit......

Whatever, I'm sure one of our up-to-date TS folks here will add the detail we're looking for.
Luckily it did not turn out to much no NC. I was not here due to a surgery so I am going from what was told to me.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

PPAP is required.

From ISO/TS 16949:2002:

7.3.6.3 Product approval process

The organization shall conform to a product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer.

NOTE Product approval should be subsequent to the verification of the manufacturing process.

This product and manufacturing process approval procedure shall also be applied to suppliers.

The PPAP manual provides the details.

The Customer determines the submission level.

You must have all PPAP items available, whether or not the Customer requires submission. (See PPAP for the specifics.)

Stijloor.

H

haueyman

Thank you Stijloor, this is why I asked the question concerning this. I always know I can come here and find what I need.

P

prototyper

PPAP is required.

From ISO/TS 16949:2002:

7.3.6.3 Product approval process

The organization shall conform to a product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer.

NOTE Product approval should be subsequent to the verification of the manufacturing process.

This product and manufacturing process approval procedure shall also be applied to suppliers.

The PPAP manual provides the details.

The Customer determines the submission level.

You must have all PPAP items available, whether or not the Customer requires submission. (See PPAP for the specifics.)

Stijloor.
Also see 7.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design output :-
The manufacturing process design output shall include
- specifications and drawings,
- manufacturing process flow chart/layout,
- manufacturing process FMEAs,
- control plan (see 7.5.1.1),
- work instructions,
- process approval acceptance criteria,
- data for quality, reliability, maintainability and measurability,
- results of error-proofing activities, as appropriate, and
- methods of rapid detection and feedback of product/manufacturing process nonconformities.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted
Great to see someone else grappling with the same issues we do! We tend to do the same, submit what we have to and not thinking about what we don't have to submit.

It raises a good illustration how some elements are simply given lip service (I am by no means suggesting the OP pays lip-service to everything!!!), but we often see the requirements being fulfilled as a means of pacifying a customer rather than the thing in question (in this instance a PPAP), providing value!

In this instance, technically how can you submit a L1 PPAP (PSW and Appearance Approval), without the data to support that PSW? That supporting data will come from the rest of the PPAP items.

It could be argued that if the customer only wants a L1 PPAP (and therefore they trust supply chain follows the PPAP process and uses it to assure product conformance) why can we not do the same? However, if you actually make something and are not just a 3rd party in between manufacture and the customer, then TS does have clauses relating to certain elements of PPAP anyway, such as Control Plan, MSA, validation activities etc...

tyker

Involved - Posts
The auditor is correct and this has been a common finding ever since the QS-9000 days.

Remember that you don't have to create all new documents everytime. You can carry over pertinent records from previous submissions.

Top Bottom