Research & Development

B

Bill Edwards

We're developing an upgraded satellite-relay controlled sensor system for DoD, with the system enclosed in a transportable shelter. We also have a small testbed within our building, consisting of two standard 19" wide electronic equipment racks. The intention is incorporating a different LAN distribution system in the transportable system, using the testbed as a "proof of concept" evaluation tool. We're in the process of implementing ISO9000/9001/900* under the guidance of our QA wizard. His issue is that we don't have schematics or working drawings for what we're doing (or trying to do) on the testbed, even though the design is based on the working system in the transportable shelter. It's been explained that we're using the existing design and "red-lining" the changes as we develope the new LAN system (which requires re-wiring a great number of connections over the previous LAN system). We are still working out the particulars for the new system, but as he interprets ISO9000 we need a working drawing before we do anything, so we've been shut down. How the Hell am I supposed to develop anything if I can't even activate the equipment to explore how it operates, let alone integrate it with the rest of the system? What's in ISO9000 that will allow me to produce this system under Research and Development (which is what we're doing), or is this a real-world Dilbert situation?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
I'm a 14000 guru and not a 9000 one but i have been doing 9000 internal for about 2 years so I'll give it a shot.

4.4 Design control seems to allow quite a bit of lattitude in how an organization conducts it's product development. It seems to me that if you establish some type of scheduled oversight period, maintain good documentation of the steps being taken with the results + and -, and possibly map out courses of action to be taken, you might be ok.

The standard was not meant to hinder or stop productivity, but to insure the quality of it (my reading).

Maybe too much is being read into it at you location.

Then again I could be wrong across the board.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Randy is correct. Your 'wizard' may want to shoot me, but you can do what you want as long as your system supports it. It is quite common for a company to take an existing design and 'redline'. The standard only requires that you have a defined design 'system' with design reviews at 'appropriate' stages (may only be 1 stage in some companies). There is absolutely no requirement for you to have a schmatic or working drawing until you reach the late stages of the design phase where you are past prototype (which is what it sounds like you are doing). You DO have to record what you're doing. Some companies just have engineering notebooks

Read 4.4 for your self. Then ask your local 'guru' where it says "...a company must have schematics or working drawings for what they're doing (or trying to do) on the testbed during the early stages of the process." It doesn't say that. Period.

S

Steph

Bill,

Just out of curiousity, is your company registered to any quality standard yet? My company is strictly R&D and I have come across a few people in upper management that do not see the benefit of what I'm doing. They also have me chopping out large sections because "they do not apply".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Control of R&D (Research and Development) Parts and Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I Design & Development, Research and Innovation in the Medical Device framework ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
W FDA Regulations for Research and Development US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
G R&D (Research and Development) & Workorder Formats Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J EDMS for Very Early Drug Development (Research/Drug Discovery) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
V Depth of Internal Auditing and Training aspects in Research & Development (R & D) Internal Auditing 4
D Research, Design and Development Costing Model Procedure Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 7
S ISO 9001: Applied to Research and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K R&D (Research and Development) and AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
C KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Metrics for R&D (Research and Development) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 10
Chennaiite Quality Management System for R&D (Research & Development) work ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Research vs. Design vs. Development in ISO 13485 - What is the difference? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
E Can a Quality Manager also be a Research and Development Manager? Career and Occupation Discussions 40
T Metrics Identification - Storage, Research and Development and HR ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J R&D (Research & Development) Department - Off-site brain trust IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Research and Development Process - Where does research end and development begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
R Laboratory Scope - Research and Development Labs - Do we need 2 Scopes? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
A VDmax25 and cGMP requirements for "research use only" products Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
M Exemption Clauses for Research, Demonstration, etc. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N Time source for paper-based documentation (research nurses) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Medical Device News CDRH Research Programs – VICTRE: Virtual Imaging Clinical Trials for Regulatory Evaluation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Medical Device Research Use Only (RUO) label Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
M Acceptance of remote auditing techniques - Can you help me with my research? General Auditing Discussions 0
N Dataset for Academic Research - Infusion pump flow IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T Research Medical Device EU - Requirements and Regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 13
Y Change Management in a very complex Research Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I AS9100D - Interview Request - I'm doing research Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
F Scientific and Research Papers for Foreign Approved Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H Research Use Only (RUO) Medical Devices in China China Medical Device Regulations 7
S Does a Research facility require DEA registration ? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Q IEC 60601 for Non-Medical Research Purpose Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
C Selling of Research products in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Q RUO (Research Use Only) vs. IVD (In Vitro Diagnostic) - Differences EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Requirements for Importing Research Use Only Medical Devices into Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
E Research or other consents missing from the Donor Medical Chart Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Is ARIMA (Time Series Analysis) Model appropriate for this Dental Research? Using Minitab Software 4
W Question on Research Use Only (RUO) products into Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Research Use Only for an MD/IVD Kit EU Medical Device Regulations 3
AnaMariaVR2 FDA's Research Strategic Plan (RSP) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
C Should Research Findings be in the Design History File? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Research Use Only (RUO) for Non IVD in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Class I Medical Device for use in a research project by a physician in Spain 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H Medical Device RUO (Research Use Only) and 'Sterile' Label Claims 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Fastener Manufacturing Research - Mechanical and Engineering Theories Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Research Use Only (RUO) Medical Devices and FDA Registrar Corp 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3