Research Use Only (RUO) Medical Devices in China

HeatherC-S

Starting to get Involved
Hello. Does anyone know what the state of play is with regard to RUO medical devices in China? I know that any mention of them has been dropped from 2014 revised regulations, which has caused some to draw conclusion that their use is not permitted anymore. I just want a bit of clarification really. Many thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jamiechina

Hello, I guess you are talking about IVD product?
In clause 15 of Provisions for In-vitro Diagnostic Reagent Registration(provisional)(Decree No.229 of China Food and Drug Administration 2007). It said 'Product needn't to be registered if it only use for research but not for clinical dignosis. "Reserch use only" must be marked on the outside'.
But some hosipital use RUO medical device for clinical dignosis, and this problem make CFDA facing lots of complain and lack useful method to control hospital(In China Hospital is managed by National Health and Family Planning Commission of the PRC). So in new version of Provisions for In-vitro Diagnostic Reagent Registration (Decree No.5 of China Food and Drug Administration) July 30,2014. it delete this clause. This's the background.
In 2016 2 hospital in Beijing was punished for using RUO Medical Devices. So now rare hospital dare to use RUO Medical Devices.

Jamiechina,
So what is the new path to register research use only products in China?Does such a registration process exist as it looks like from your thread things have changed from no registration to something new.

Gamula

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

I assume that the manufacturer needs a CFDA / SFDA certificate stating it is RUO IVD. Additionally, it must be labelled with RUO together with Chinese IFU. Finally, the shipping shall be announced at customs by your agent.

The backround: I send training material for clients to China, which is not registered or intended to be used for patients. We always receive clearance at the customs.

Maybe, this is helpful for you :agree:

Good luck and keepus up-to-date :popcorn:

Cheerio :magic:

regqual

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the reply. Got a new job and company is wanting to get into China for research of the medical device (not an IVD product). Searched eng.sfda.gov.cn and could not find the answer to: Which specific Decree/Order applies to R.U.O. products? Gamula stated a CFDA and IFU in Chinese needed (no problem there). What else do I need to get the product to a University or Hospital to further research our product?

Gamula

Involved In Discussions
Dear RegQual,

to be honest you need a very good agent who has a business license to be your agent. Furthermore, use the Chinese CFDA Website and google translator. The only decree I know is the no. 650 but I do not know what is applicable for R.U.O.?!

Furthermore, the regulation jungle is tough not always applicable and for some exciting and for others frustrating.

Wish you a lot of success!

Best
J

Hi,
According to me, it will better to contact with a reputed manufacturing industry like Peterstechnology.com. They will definitely make you conform regarding this type of medical cable.
Thank you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Medical Device Research Use Only (RUO) label Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
H Medical Device RUO (Research Use Only) and 'Sterile' Label Claims 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Research Use Only (RUO) Medical Devices and FDA Registrar Corp 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R "RUO" (Research Use Only) Medical Device now seeking Clinic Use 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q RUO (Research Use Only) vs. IVD (In Vitro Diagnostic) - Differences EU Medical Device Regulations 6
W Question on Research Use Only (RUO) products into Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Research Use Only (RUO) for Non IVD in EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D RUO (Research Use Only - Laboratory Instrument) CE Marking Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V CE marking and RUO (Research Use Only) products - Distributing in vitro products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Watchcat Authoritative References about the Research Question? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 0
A VDmax25 and cGMP requirements for "research use only" products Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
M Exemption Clauses for Research, Demonstration, etc. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N Time source for paper-based documentation (research nurses) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Medical Device News CDRH Research Programs – VICTRE: Virtual Imaging Clinical Trials for Regulatory Evaluation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Acceptance of remote auditing techniques - Can you help me with my research? General Auditing Discussions 0
N Dataset for Academic Research - Infusion pump flow IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T Research Medical Device EU - Requirements and Regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 13
Y Change Management in a very complex Research Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Control of R&D (Research and Development) Parts and Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I AS9100D - Interview Request - I'm doing research Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
I Design & Development, Research and Innovation in the Medical Device framework ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
F Scientific and Research Papers for Foreign Approved Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Does a Research facility require DEA registration ? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
T Early Research & Development - ISO 13485:2003 requirements Clarification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 34
Q IEC 60601 for Non-Medical Research Purpose Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
C Selling of Research products in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 9
J Requirements for Importing Research Use Only Medical Devices into Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
E Research or other consents missing from the Donor Medical Chart Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Is ARIMA (Time Series Analysis) Model appropriate for this Dental Research? Using Minitab Software 4
J Research Use Only for an MD/IVD Kit EU Medical Device Regulations 3
AnaMariaVR2 FDA's Research Strategic Plan (RSP) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
W FDA Regulations for Research and Development US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
C Should Research Findings be in the Design History File? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
G R&D (Research and Development) & Workorder Formats Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Class I Medical Device for use in a research project by a physician in Spain 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J EDMS for Very Early Drug Development (Research/Drug Discovery) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
J Fastener Manufacturing Research - Mechanical and Engineering Theories Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
V Depth of Internal Auditing and Training aspects in Research & Development (R & D) Internal Auditing 4
B How do you Research Job Openings? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
D Research, Design and Development Costing Model Procedure Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 7
K Exemption from Section 7 clauses of ISO 9001 - Scientific Research Company Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D ISO 9001 Registration: Research Parent Company or wholly owned subsidiary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K Validation of Processes does not seem to apply - Scientific Research Company Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
J ISO 9001 and Improvement of Business Performance - Research help Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Research involving a very small population (100 approx) - Help with Sampling Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S ISO 9001: Applied to Research and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Contribute to research and have the chance to win an iPAD 2 or a copy of Minitab 16 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1