Responding to external communciation - In particular 4.4.3 b) - Dinged

M

mike101338

Good Morning All!

During my recent registration audit, I was dinged for our poor external communication program. In particular, 4.4.3 b) which discusses receiving, documenting and responding to relevant communications from external parties.

How are others going about this process? I work for a smaller firm, but even so I see our Board of Directors, CEO, 2 V.P.’s, receptionist, sales and marketing department, plant manager, 3 product managers and myself all receiving customer communication on a daily basis.

How are others defining what is “relevant” communication? and how are you documenting that?

Mike

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
mike101338 said:
Good Morning All!

During my recent registration audit, I was dinged for our poor external communication program. In particular, 4.4.3 b) which discusses receiving, documenting and responding to relevant communications from external parties.

How are others going about this process? I work for a smaller firm, but even so I see our Board of Directors, CEO, 2 V.P.’s, receptionist, sales and marketing department, plant manager, 3 product managers and myself all receiving customer communication on a daily basis.

How are others defining what is “relevant” communication? and how are you documenting that?

Mike
4.4.3(b) of what standard? Did the auditor give you specifics about why he/she thought you were deficient in this area? In general, I think "relevant communications" are those that have the potential to affect product quality (change orders to drawings or POs, etc.) or customer satisfaction (reaction to complaints or requests for help, e.g.).

J

jmp4429

I would recommend designating one person to be responsible for external communications regarding environmental issues. At my company, whenever anyone receives external communication, it is forwarded on to our EMS rep to handle. We save copies of emails and their responses, and type up brief logs of phone and in-person conversations. All of this is stored on the network.

I hope that helps you some.

M

mike101338

I suppose which standard would be helpful. :bonk:
I am working on ISO 14001:2004, clause 4.4.3.

B

BadgerMan

jmp4429 said:
I would recommend designating one person to be responsible for external communications regarding environmental issues. At my company, whenever anyone receives external communication, it is forwarded on to our EMS rep to handle. We save copies of emails and their responses, and type up brief logs of phone and in-person conversations. All of this is stored on the network.

Good advice.

A short work instruction designating a point person and process is a good idea. Our point person is also our EMS rep/engineer. A simple Access database is a good method for recording/storing such inquiries and any resulting action items.

M

mike101338

jmp4429 said:

Did you define in your procedures what "relevant communication" is?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
mike101338 said:
Did you define in your procedures what "relevant communication" is?
You'll need to do that if you're going to have a single point of convergence for communications.

Top Bottom