Response Surface Method to create design matrix in Minitab

Dear Experts,

I am new to the software Minitab. I want to use the Response Surface Method to create design matrix. Later on I entered the values of my response. Then I went to Analyze Response surface tab. I want to ask when do we click The Optimal Design? Or either should we select one by one Analyze Resp surface or Optimal Design both, after creating design matrix and input the Response values.

Regards,

Shamoon

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
This is the proper sequence for creating an optimal design:
  1. Create the initial DOE design (e.g., RSM or factorial)
  2. Select Optimal design
  3. Run the optimal experiment
  4. Analyze optimal experiment
  5. Interpret results
  6. Run confirmation experiment

I would analyze your data as a standard response surface design. If the results provide what you were looking for, there is no need to run the optimized design.

In my case, for each DoE I have to run a long simulation (1 day) to get response value. So if I have 20 runs, this would mean 20 days and in that way I will have some data for RSM. It would be cumbersome to re-work the whole data for optimization purpose. Anyway, I will see once I get response results. Thanks for help.
1. Just please tell me for optimization do we analyze RSM results or do the D-optimal design first?

2. Second question is in selecting RSM, what is the importance of alpha in selecting design. If I take default values, it creates a DoE matrix using some values out of the cube and bogus. If I take Face centered it gives me reasonable values withing limits.

Thanks

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
1. Just please tell me for optimization do we analyze RSM results or do the D-optimal design first?
I think you are confusing the process of optimizing a design/process with an optimal design.
You can perform a standard RSM and use the model resulting from the analysis to optimize your design/process.

An optimal design is a completely different topic. Optimal designs are used to:
  • Efficiently fill out an irregular shaped experimental region
  • Minimize the number of runs to just what is needed
  • Accommodate unusual numbers of blocks or runs per block

2. Second question is in selecting RSM, what is the importance of alpha in selecting design. If I take default values, it creates a DoE matrix using some values out of the cube and bogus. If I take Face centered it gives me reasonable values withing limits.
There are two major types of RSM designs. Central Composite Designs and Box-Benkhen designs. Take a simple design with 3 factors. You can visualize the design space as a cube.

A Box-Benkhen design has experimental runs at the center of each edge of the cube. The main advantage of this design type is to avoid those regions of the experimental space (i.e., the corners) that are either not feasible, or are dangerous.

A Central Composite design has experimental runs at each corner of the cube, at the center of the cube and along an axis running through the center of each face of the cube (and through the center of the cube). The location of these last along those axes is controlled by alpha.

In Minitab, the default alpha (alpha > 1) results in a Central Composite Circumscribed design, which means the corner points and the axial points all fall on the surface of a sphere. This has a lot of advantages, but does have the disadvantage that you encountered. That you have runs that are not feasible. The face centered design (alpha = 1) avoids this problem by moving the axial points onto the faces of the cube. However, this results in greater error in the quadratic coefficients of the model. The custom design allows you to set alpha. Setting alpha < 1 will move the axial points inside the cube. You can also set alpha slightly > 1 to move the axial points slightly outwards, but not as far as the default.

One caution regarding RSM designs in general. The model that you end up with is a quadratic (polynomial) model. This is usually an approximation of a nonlinear model. You can still use it to optimize and even make predictions, but there will be some inherent errors in this approximation. The accuracy of the model will change as you move through the design space. See the attached image from Wikipedia.

Attachments

Dear Miner,

Thanks a lot :rolleyes: you have explained very well. :applause:. Now, please suggest me since I do not know the response yet. So from your suggestion, I should run RSM based on alpha very little > 1 and run (lets say) 20 cases. Then I get some output. From this output, I should run D-optimal design. And then re-run my experiment. Is this logical arrangement?

Regards,

Shamoon

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Now, please suggest me since I do not know the response yet. So from your suggestion, I should run RSM based on alpha very little > 1 ...
If doing so eliminates the "bogus" values, yes.

...and run (lets say) 20 cases. Then I get some output. From this output, I should run D-optimal design. And then re-run my experiment. Is this logical arrangement?
What is your reason for wanting to run an optimal design? As I stated earlier, you do not run an optimal design to optimize the results of your simulation. If your goal is to reduce the number of experimental runs required, then you would create an optimal design, but not to optimize the results.

The correct order is to create the RSM, create an optimal design from that RSM, then run the optimal design. You do not run any simulations until after the optimal design has been created.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Please help to analyze Response Surface Methodology by using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
T Variation in values of the levels in Factorial/Response surface design Using Minitab Software 1
D Showing the Response Surface Experimental Point in MiniTab Using Minitab Software 5
W Best quadratic subset for analyzing a Response Surface Design with Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 6
S Need Help with Response Surface Optimization Using Minitab Software 4
R Define Data from Taguchi to Response Surface Methodology in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
R Multi Response Optimizer - Help with Response Surface Methodologies Using Minitab Software 3
J Response Surface Design - Repeats - Getting data into Minitab 15 Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Govind Informational ISO COVID-19 response: freely available ISO standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Corrective Action Response for Missed bumps on brake press Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
R How long to wait for Notified Body Response - Potentially significant change to a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
I "We don't have enough resources" as an Audit Non-conformance Response General Auditing Discussions 14
M Medical Device News MHRA releases response to consultation on EU exit no-deal legislative proposals Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
O QRQC (quick response quality control) methodology in automotive industry IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Formal written response to a corrective action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
A Taguchi Minitab - Continuous Data - What should I choose as response variable? Using Minitab Software 3
C Medical Device Malfunction - Customer Complaint - Response vs. Correction Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
W Nonconformance Recurrence Response Help General Auditing Discussions 4
N Survey to Customers Regarding Our Complaint Response Time Customer Complaints 7
N Customer Complaint - Rapid Response Containment Procedure Customer Complaints 2
D Tracking response time with individual label I.D. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K Fast Response Tracking Board (QSB+) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
S What are the next steps after providing response to FDA 483 ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
Wes Bucey Baffled by no response to your job application? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
H FDA Response Time for Amendments? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Delegation of Response to Next Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
F Response to ISO 13485 Audit Minor Nonconformances ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Optimize One Response with Three Variables Using Minitab Software 8
M Customer Satisfaction Survey - Poor Response ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Response to ISO 17025 Proficiency Test z score ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
R Supplier CAR response scoring Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
G Setting up a 3 Factor, 2 Level,2 response DOE in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
A Effects of categorical variables on single response Using Minitab Software 9
somashekar About NC (Nonconformance) Type and days for CA (Corrective Action) Response... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M AS 4706 (Personal Response Systems) & AS 3811 (Patient Alarm Systems) Equivalents? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
N Closed Customer Complaint Response Form Examples? Customer Complaints 3
A 483 Response Letter - Are there any Special Formal or Content related Requirements? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
R Risk Register, Risk Analysis and Risk Response/Treatment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 5
A FDA 483 Warning Letter Response Time Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J QRQC (Quick Response Quality Control) Training Material or Information Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
R Rules for DOE / Hypothesis Testing and ATTRIBUTE RESPONSE? Six Sigma 2
S Customer Satisfaction Surveys - Response Rate, Analysis, Customer Feedback ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T Response Optimizer in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
S Minitab closes/crashes when plotting Response optimization Using Minitab Software 2
P Survey's without Response Rate - Surveys distributed by discussion forums Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8