Responsibility by department rather than individual

S

Suzanne Artzberger

Can our quality system say that a 'department' has responsibility for something (where appropriate) rather than what seems to be our standard 'this person with this title or their designee'? For example, in the past, our Corporate Development Director had responsibility for releasing updated quality documents to other employees via network e-mail. Now, I have the title Director of Quality Assurance and have an administrative assistant (who technically works for the Quality Assurance Department) who, because of all the other things that I have going on, does most of the releasing to the network. I need to modify the procedure and would like to say that the Quality Assurance Department is responsible, rather than a single person. (In fact, I'd like to do this for most cases in our Quality System where my specific title is called out to do something that can just as easily be done by someone else in the 'department'). In our company, we've had this discussion before and there is a feeling that this might be in violation of standard element 4.1.2 where the responsibility and responsible people are defined and documented. I feel that I can argue my point by saying my job description states that I am responsible for all activities of the Quality Assurance Department. I could also write this into the Quality manual somewhere if we need to - some kind of blanket statement that says the Director of Quality Assurance is ultimately responsible for the actions of the Quality Assurance Department. What do you think? My overall problem is I would like our Quality Documentation to have be correct but with future flexibility.

Thanks for your feedback!

Suzanne Artzberger

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You can cite a functional position, but not a department. You may cite the quality manager, for example. That does not keep the QM from assigning that responsibility to someone else.

You might get away with just stating the quality assurance department, but if I was your auditor I would have problems buying it.

Remember that a lot of this is about assigning responsibilities. I would be hesitant to be so vague. I suppose that if you use this way of defining responsibilities (for example "The sales department is responsible for...") you would stand a better chance. I would expect to see a link in your job responsibilities document.

D

Dan Larsen

I agree with Marc. Assigned responsibilities should be with a personnel position, not a department. If you have a concern about who actually does the work, remember that managers generally delegate tasks. In fact, because of a run in with an auditor quite a long time ago, I tend to include a "delegation rights" statement in the policy manual section that defines responsibility. In effect, any task with an assigned responsibility to a manager may be performed by another employee provided the employee has been trained and has been directed in the task. It's also understood, that if something goes wrong, it's the manager who carries the responsibility for the failure.

A

Al Dyer

And include the same type of disclaimer on the org chart.

As in

Quality Manager as alternate Management Representative able to make his/her decisions etc......

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Different title but same responsibility - Department Manager vs. Supervisor General Auditing Discussions 3
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
D DHF Responsibility after design handover Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L Global distributor vigilance responsibility Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 14
S Responsibility of intercessor services provider about services's quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13
M EU MDR - UDI requirements and responsibility guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Mr Skeleton PV (Production Validation) test plan responsibility APQP and PPAP 21
Shawn Mosby DFMEA when the supplier doesn't have design responsibility APQP and PPAP 14
W Organizational Responsibility for Environmental Compliance of Products REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
T Design responsibility for customized product per customer requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
T Decontamination responsibility on customer complaint investigation Customer Complaints 4
lyobovnik Matters being audited, independence, participation and direct responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Responsibility for Design Transfer - OEM vs. CM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Where does our regulatory responsibility end? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Contract Packager or Repackager? And can client assume responsibility? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
Q U.S. Agents - Responsibility for reporting adverse events to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
Fender1 Customer specified Item Defect Corrective Action Responsibility Customer Complaints 18
G FAI (First Article Inspection) Responsibility - QC or Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Manufacturer's responsibility to notify the NB regarding Medical Device End-of-Life CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
sutie What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Leadership Responsibility in an ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
W Shared Responsibility Between Spec Provider and Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L What is the difference between Objectives and Responsibility ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Responsibility for Labeling in Multi-Location Group Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
JoCam ATEX - Responsibility for a Declaration of Conformity Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
E Manufacturer Responsibility (vs. User/Customer) for Preventive Maintenance/Repair 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Specification Verification Responsibility AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
V VAG Customer Specific Requirements - Product Safety Responsibility Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
G Application of RASI (Responsibility, Authority, Support, Information) Chart IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Hardware and OS Responsibility in FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Kronos147 Customer Request for Corrective Action - Responsibility AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Whose responsibility is it to issue Corrective Action Requests? Internal Auditing 8
D Requirements & Responsibility regarding Fire Foam in an Office Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Does "Responsibility" need to be mentioned in the Corrective Actions ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
M What is our level of responsibility in the IQ, OQ, PQ processes? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q How to meet Responsibility and Authority (Clause 5.5.1) Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
E Aging/Shelf-Life Testing Responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
H Definition Executive Responsibility - Legal Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 11
E Post Machining Casting Defects with MIL-STD-2175 Requirements - Responsibility Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
SATHYABALARAMAN Responsibility, Authority & Accountability of Customer Representative - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Responsibility vs. No Authority in 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Responsibility of Distributor for Customer Complaints - How should we handle this Customer Complaints 5
Roberticus Responsibility for Outsourced Process, ALL in-house Mfg/QC done (prior FG PN) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Whither Corporate Social Responsibility Imported Legacy Blogs 2
T Person in charge's role or responsibility in ISMS? ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
Q ISO Responsibility Matrix in RACI Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R APQP Responsibility Matrix APQP and PPAP 3