Restructuring Document Control Numbering System

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

I'm about to propose to my MGMT group that we change the way our documents are numbered in order to provide better clarity for parent-subordinate documents (document tree), as well as indication by the start of the document number which functional department is responsible for upkeep, review, and changes to the document.

My need for clarity is this: if I get the green light for this project, what should I do with the revision levels of the current documents--do I leave the rev. levels the same, or would I be OK with starting everything from rev 1/A with something in my doc control procedure speaking to when this happened and that all old revs. are archived.

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Re: Restructuring Doc Control Numbering

I would start by asking whether a document numbering system is really necessary. If your document system is relatively small, a document number is not required or necessary. Having said that, a large document system can benefit from a numbering scheme to provide clarity and organization.

Regarding your specific question, either option could be done, provided you have some level of continuity between the new and the old. A simple statement in each new procedure that says something like "Replaces procedure XYZ, revision ##" is one possible option. If you have a master document list, you could note it there instead.

rogerpenna

Involved In Discussions
I really appreciate Miner's answer.

The changes I am about to make are a bit more complex. We already use an DMS system and are about to change to a new DMS system.

It would be next to impossible (ok, not impossible at all, just very time consuming) to move all documents and all their old versions to the new database, with all the info about their history (changes, etc)

I can however recreate all of them from version 1.0 and have another folder with all the old documents and an Excel table including all the docs from the old database (including all data of version history, dates, etc) then if someone needs the old versions or check the whole history of the document, they can search the new doc name in the Excel table, find the data and also the file.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Complete Company Restructuring & Impact on ISO 9001 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Notification to Registrar Concerning Continuous Dynamics including Restructuring ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Restructuring and Additional Responsibilities - Need New Quality Title Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 15
Marc Ford to drop 1,700 suppliers - Ford restructuring Flowing Down Stream Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 50
B Document Approval Matrix Benchmarking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Document Approval Signature Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
L How to add exemption or statement to control of document procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Mylar plot suppliers in accordance with D6-51991 document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Please, help with document on ISO/ TS 17758 and (IDF 87: 1979). Thank you. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Nitpicking on document released dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Refusal to Document Complaints Customer Complaints 39
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Can a document (form) approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is highlighting on a printed document considered a change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 14
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Sidney Vianna Informational New IAQG Document - AS9100 Clarifications of Intent AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S How to determine & document Organizational Knowledge of a company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Principles and Practices for Medical Device Cybersecurity Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Informational IMDRF draft document – Requirements for Regulatory Authority Recognition of Conformity Assessment Bodies Conducting Medical Device Regulatory Reviews Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B AS9110 Audit Check Sheet wanted Excel or Word Document AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News New AS9104-1 Document to be released around April 2020 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5